Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:49 am

anyone know how long the $0 for additional card member is good for in the "first year"?

i still have my Pt card but thinking about canceling in the next 6 month. would like my wife to jump on this deal but can she add me to her card for $0 in 6-7 month from now or does it have to be at the same time she gets her card?

if it can be initiated 6 months from now this is a great deal.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
My wife applied 8/2. Her FICO score is 816 (as per Barclay), solid income, has been an Amex member since 1995, and currently has only one other Amex card (EveryDay) with about 3K in charges each month. Her application is in an "in progress" status. Oddly enough, there has yet to be a hard pull for this application on her credit report. I'm wondering if Amex is verifying whether she is an Ameriprise client before putting her application through.
I got the 7-12 day message, I actually called in 5 mins after I apped, spoke to new accounts, new accounts got someone on the line that reviews the application, they told me to hold, about 3 minutes later said, congrats you are apporved, I also got an email that very moment stating that my app has been "rushed approved" so im not sure why it takes so long, I guess give them a call.
I am not an ameriprise client.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by slap_happy
I got the 7-12 day message, I actually called in 5 mins after I apped, spoke to new accounts, new accounts got someone on the line that reviews the application, they told me to hold, about 3 minutes later said, congrats you are apporved, I also got an email that very moment stating that my app has been "rushed approved" so im not sure why it takes so long, I guess give them a call.
If it were my application, I would call. My wife couldn't be bothered, and would also not be all that thrilled if I called and had her there to authorize me to speak with them. I've done it before, but that's a well I don't want visit too many times. I guess we'll just wait.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:57 pm

Her application is in an "in progress" status. Oddly enough, there has yet to be a hard pull for this application on her credit report.
Lately AMEX has not always been pulling right away. If the app goes to pending they sometimes don't pull your report until someone looks at the app. It has happened to me on other apps with AMEX. So it is not specific to this card.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:25 pm

Didn't take long for the approval. Got the notification this evening, 8/5, on the second business day after the application.

Originally Posted by ddallas
Lately AMEX has not always been pulling right away. If the app goes to pending they sometimes don't pull your report until someone looks at the app. It has happened to me on other apps with AMEX. So it is not specific to this card.
Still no hp's appearing on Credit Sesame. However, if Amex is delaying the pull, that kind of messes up AOR strategies. Maybe that's why they're doing it.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which number you call?

Did husband's application this evening. He got the 10 to 12 business days message. This is the first time he did not get an instant approval from AMEX. All his previous apps with AMEX were instant approvals. Currently he has only 2 AMEX cards - SPG and HHonors personal. It really surprises me given that we have a sizable JT saving account with AMEX.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:16 am

Didn't take long for the approval. Got the notification this evening, 8/5, on the second business day after the application.

Still no hp's appearing on Credit Sesame. However, if Amex is delaying the pull, that kind of messes up AOR strategies. Maybe that's why they're doing it.
HP just appeared on 8/5 for the 8/2 application.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Which number you call?

Did husband's application this evening. He got the 10 to 12 business days message. This is the first time he did not get an instant approval from AMEX. All his previous apps with AMEX were instant approvals. Currently he has only 2 AMEX cards - SPG and HHonors personal. It really surprises me given that we have a sizable JT saving account with AMEX.
I called the number on the back of my blue sky, I explained that I just apped and they transfered me over to new accounts
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

My pulls took a while to show up. I applied for the BRG and the Plat on the same day. Is there a possibility that one of those pulls will be removed?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
My pulls took a while to show up. I applied for the BRG and the Plat on the same day. Is there a possibility that one of those pulls will be removed?
If done on the same day on the same bureau, the bureau will often combine them thinking the second may be a duplicate pull.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called the number on the back of my blue sky, I explained that I just apped and they transfered me over to new accounts
Thanks.

We called (my husband has some hearing issue so I am always the one who initiates the call) the new account number 877-399-3083 yesterday afternoon. Got an Indian chad who took a look of the app and said there was absolutely no problem, that he would expedite the processing and "put a smile on our face.", that we picked the "10/10 card, the best product in AMEX family." . After verified personal data, put us on hold for 3 minutes then came back to say he needed 2 more minutes. Then came back with the Congrats, both the primary card and AU card were approved... Cards will arrive in 7 to 10 biz days. He also informed us an approval email was sent. The email arrived within 30 sec.

I was surprised to get an Indian rep even during day time and the phone took a bit longer than expected in part due to we had to ask for repeating what he said due to some real accent. Nothing else was asked other then verifying personal data - name, dob, address and phone number.

No idea when the HP was done, presumably was when he put us on hold and the report might take a bit longer to come up so another 2 more minutes...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Got the 25k bonus

Just saw the 25k sign-up bonus in my account after meeting the min spend. I am *not* an Ameriprise customer. Also, I had a Plat Mercedes Benz card a few years ago (account closed in Sep 2013). Just one data point, but still should be encouraging.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 54austin
Just saw the 25k sign-up bonus in my account after meeting the min spend. I am *not* an Ameriprise customer. Also, I had a Plat Mercedes Benz card a few years ago (account closed in Sep 2013). Just one data point, but still should be encouraging.
I think I'm going to work to get the bonus on this card as soon as possible, in case they decide to do an audit.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Happy

No idea when the HP was done, presumably was when he put us on hold and the report might take a bit longer to come up so another 2 more minutes...
Interesting. I wouldn't count on it, but presumably one could try a make-shift mini-AOR by calling up soon after applying.

In my case, I've got a ton of pulls on my reports lately. This card and a Citi were still on my bucket list. I applied for this one before the Citi, since if HPs were gong to be an issue, I'd rather risk the Citi (by adding the Amex HP ahead of it vs. vice-versa).

But I may call on this one while I have my Citi up and ready to load just in case I can sneak the Citi in (after I get the results) relatively concurrent with the Amex HP!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teammjs
Interesting. I wouldn't count on it, but presumably one could try a make-shift mini-AOR by calling up soon after applying.

In my case, I've got a ton of pulls on my reports lately. This card and a Citi were still on my bucket list. I applied for this one before the Citi, since if HPs were gong to be an issue, I'd rather risk the Citi (by adding the Amex HP ahead of it vs. vice-versa).

But I may call on this one while I have my Citi up and ready to load just in case I can sneak the Citi in (after I get the results) relatively concurrent with the Amex HP!
FWIW, before applying this one, husband has had 8 new cards since Feb, including a Chase UA instant approval in the morning and he applied this card that evening. One denial that was from Barclays on the Arrival+ because he already has 2 US cards and less than 2 years history with Barclays. The rep refused to overturn the denial generated by the system as "reaching maximum credit allowed." Everything else was instant approval until this card.

This is the first AMEX card he has not gotten an instant approval. Based on a few posters above, that lately AMEX does not always pull credit reports at application. When that happens, naturally the app would go In Process. See Post 142 that an application on 8/2 did not generate HP until 8/5 and that was the date the poster received approval. I suspect that if the HP is done immediately after application submission, he might very well get an instant approval as always. The time of application (at 11pm) might also contribute to this.

During the call the only things the rep went over were to verify his ID then he asked husband's permission to talk to me - basically nothing much other than telling us he would "rush" the process, and came back with the congrats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.