Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by ganagati
There is no chip in the card.
If you ask nicely it will be.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
If you ask nicely it will be.
That's good to know. I received mine yesterday and was disappointed when it didn't have the chip. I may have to make a call - thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hytekjosh
I had this card for a bit over two years. The benefits are not identical to a regular American Express Platinum. I forget which but out of the three - return protection, extended warranty, purchase protection - one is not available. I think extended warranty is there it was one of the other two. There were some other subtle differences I can't remember. I got this card with no annual fee the first year and 50,000 bonus sign up. Then I matched to a 100,000 bonus ID and they still gave me the 50,000 so I walked away with 150,000 points. Transferred them to Delta when they had the mileage transfer bonus, cashed out in Amex gift cards worth $2250, and got Delta Medallion status. Great deal.
In my original terms it has all 3 of those (return protection, extended warranty and purchase protection)
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by ganagati
There is no chip in the card.
Mine came with a chip, and I was told yesterday when I ordered the additional cards that they will come with chips as well.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Mine came with a chip, and I was told yesterday when I ordered the additional cards that they will come with chips as well.
Reminder that once you go to chip, you can't go back.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:24 am

They apologized for not sending a card with a chip to begin with and sent out a replacement yesterday.

You guys are a great resource - thank you.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:35 pm

Received mine.
No chip. Going to contact them to get the chip.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:33 am

A little update for you guys.
I contacted AMEX yesterday about getting the chip&sign on my card.
The CSR told me that it'd be overnighted, but then proceeded to tell me the system rejected it since it hasn't been 10 days since the application. Looks like I have to wait lol. But it was nice to know they'd overnight it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Is it possible to get AMEX to match the current 40K sign up bonus on the regular platinum card to this one? Does anyone know about that?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Is it possible to get AMEX to match the current 40K sign up bonus on the regular platinum card to this one? Does anyone know about that?
I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to.
Worth the try though lol
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:26 am

The card came in today, I activated it, looks fine.

The problem is that when I go to add additional card members (wife and kids) I am told that the fee will be $175 for up to three cards.

Have any of you with this card gone through this? Did you get charged and had to fight it, or did they waive it automatically?
Nice! It only took you about 4 days to get it judging from your posts. I hope mine get there in time... and that thing with the wait for approval and then getting an email a few minutes later just happened to me!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by f0xx
I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to.
Worth the try though lol
Yeah, I might be calling in later. Figure the worst they say is no which leaves me where I am right now.

I got a trip coming up soon... how does the whole thing work for Priority Pass Select? Could I call in and ask them to provide me with the necessary info for Priority Pass?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:29 am

Nice! It only took you about 4 days to get it judging from your posts. I hope mine get there in time... and that thing with the wait for approval and then getting an email a few minutes later just happened to me!
They wouldn't expedite my initial card. But they overnighted my chip&sign... Talked to them around 8PM last night and it's out for delivery now.

Yeah, I might be calling in later. Figure the worst they say is no which leaves me where I am right now.

I got a trip coming up soon... how does the whole thing work for Priority Pass Select? Could I call in and ask them to provide me with the necessary info for Priority Pass?
Just call up the number on the back, tell them you'd like to take advantage of Priority Pass.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Yes, the timing was exactly like that, I got it just before I left on a trip, so I was able to use the Skyclub benefit right away. No issues at all getting in.

You sign up online after activating your new Platinum card, and your Priority Pass Select card shows up in the mail about a week later.

What airline will you be flying? You may not need the PPS card.

Last edited by mia; Mar 14, 2014 at 11:51 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:50 am

https://www295.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1

To sign up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.