Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Okay, got the answer from Amex,
CSA: The welcome bonus is not offered to card members who have previously had the same product before.
CSA: The first year free is also a part of the welcome bonus.
Who wants to be a guinea pig?
test it out and please let us know
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jasonkr
Okay, got the answer from Amex,

Who wants to be a guinea pig?
test it out and please let us know
I'll let you know in August when I redo mine.

But if you can't wait, all you have to do is cancel the card if you get hit with an annual fee. No harm, no foul.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:19 am

I can't seem to find any information about when a previous AMEX Platinum account holder can take advantage of this offer (i.e., when this offer can be churned). Anyone have information on that?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:01 pm

Looks like the 25,000 point signup bonus is back through June 30!
https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:06 pm

This is a fantastic deal!

Originally Posted by HBKFan75
Looks like the 25,000 point signup bonus is back through June 30!
https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp
This is a fantastic deal! Just wish it was churnable as I already got in on this deal.

Last edited by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS; Apr 18, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:37 pm

Do we need an Ameriprise account to get this card?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by MikailSJ
REad the thread.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MikailSJ
No.Jump on this, it's a great deal.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
before applying for the card for the bonus can u call amex and ask if you had a personal platinum charge card before so when you apply you can increase your chances of getting the card?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:28 am

1. The Platinum Card® from American Express is issued by American Express Bank, FSB. ©2015 American Express Bank, FSB. All rights reserved. Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise Financial, Inc. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise Financial ends, American Express has the right to cancel your Card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product that will have different features and benefits.
I don't have account with Ameriprise, looks like am not qualified?

Last edited by mia; Apr 19, 2015 at 1:15 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by cubachao
1. The Platinum Card® from American Express is issued by American Express Bank, FSB. ©2015 American Express Bank, FSB. All rights reserved. Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise Financial, Inc. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise Financial ends, American Express has the right to cancel your Card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product that will have different features and benefits.

I don't have account with Ameriprise, looks like am not qualified?
Most people on this thread don't, so far this has not been an issue. I applied and was approved last August, got the 25K MRP, Global entry fee, $200.00 airline fee credits twice and more for no fee. Wife did the same. Neither of us has any relationship with Ameriprise.

Last edited by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS; Apr 19, 2015 at 8:47 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
Most people on this thread don't, so far this has not been an issue. I applied and was approved last August, got the 25K MRP, Global entry fee, $200.00 airline fee credits twice and more for no fee. Wife did the same. Neither of us has any relationship with Ameriprise.
Had either of you had a personal amex platinum before?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by doubleheader
Had either of you had a personal amex platinum before?
No, pretty sure current rules are 1 personal Amex Platinum bonus per person/lifetime. I wish they had a business version of this card!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:32 pm

I'm trying to figure out whether to try to take advantage of this. I currently hold a regular Amex Plat (since last august, when I was targeted for 100K). I do not plan to renew, due to the high annual fee (the only benefits I'd use are the airline fee credit and the Centurion Lounge once in a blue moon, I have Priority Pass through Citi Prestige).

I understand that I won't get the 25k MR bonus, OK. There is a post a few messages back that the annual fee waiver is part of the welcome bonus, which I hope is incorrect.

If I can get another year's membership for free, I'll take jump on this, otherwise, no.

The other question is the free additional cards (instead of $175). My wife has never held an Amex Platinum, so if I jump on this and add her as an additional cardholder, does that make her ineligible for a future welcome bonus as a new cardholder?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fpc552
...add her as an additional cardholder, does that make her ineligible for a future welcome bonus as a new cardholder?
No

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.