Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by happyvoid
i think this card comes regular mail. i called and asked after approval they said it will come regular mail
Yea realizing that as it's been 5 days now, I guess the poster above got it overnight since he called in for recon.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by esha1
does amex looks on recent amex and non-amex applications? I've got Gold recenlty and 2 of Citi, but I want this plat also (am I an Ameriprise client)
Of course they (computer or human) look at your credit report to determine your credit worthiness, which includes recent apps.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:44 am

Applied last night, got this email today:

We are excited that you've decided to apply for the Platinum Card®, and we're reviewing your application now. We promise to let you know when we're finished, or if we need more information.

While we're reviewing your application, please don't apply for another Platinum Card®. Thank you for your interest in American Express.

Is that their way of saying You're Denied (TM)?
Old May 8, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Of course they (computer or human) look at your credit report to determine your credit worthiness, which includes recent apps.

I meant how strong role recent applications do play?
Old May 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

We are excited that you've decided to apply for the Platinum Card®, and we're reviewing your application now. We promise to let you know when we're finished, or if we need more information.

While we're reviewing your application, please don't apply for another Platinum Card®. Thank you for your interest in American Express.

Hm..I'd just call recon. They won't mention ameriprise.

Data point:
Applied 4/23, got 7-10 message.
Called in 4/27: Approved after verifying identity. Card overnighted. Hit 3k today.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

No, it's their way of saying: don't apply for another card of the kind for which you just applied.

I got the same notification when I applied a year ago.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:56 pm

Update: got approval email. Yay.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by esha1
I meant how strong role recent applications do play?
About 3 months ago I got 3 Amex cards plus 5 other cards from other banks (plus 1 other app denied), all in the same month. You can see that I just got approved for this card today. Credit score =~ 700. They are extremely generous to me for approval, but my friend had less luck. YMMV.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:31 am

Data point:

--Cancelled personal Amex Platinum on Friday, 5/8
--Applied for Ameriprise Amex Platinum Monday morning, 5/11
--Called recon about 3 hours later, was told that some manual checks need to be done for whatever reason, so she put me on hold, came back a minute later saying I was instantly approved. No questions were ever asked of me after she looked up my application.

Card should arrive in 7-10 days. I asked if it could be sent faster but she said she couldn't change it. Oh well.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA
I've read many pages of this thread and I saw at least one report that this card is a different product to the standard Amex Platinum personal card. Is it the case that if I were to sign up for this card and eventually cancel it in the future, I would remain eligible for any signup bonus on the standard Platinum card?
Old May 11, 2015, 3:04 pm

Data Point: Applied last night (seconds after an Arrival+ acceptance) and got the standard message and an email about it pending. Called today and after a couple of minutes wait for an override was accepted. There was some talk of having multiple applications but I think it was just the authorized user I put on the app so perhaps that can be a complication. Told them I have a big purchase I wanted to use the card for (which I do) so they "overnighted" it (24 to 72 hours).

Not an Amerprise customer - but I'll remember this goodwill.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA
Data Point: Applied at 2pm Pacific today, got the pending message, called in 10 minutes later. The rep told me there was a system problem so they couldn't process my application yet, but as soon as I hung up she called back and said the system was back up and my application had been approved. Without me having to ask, the rep said my card would be expedited and should arrive in 24-72 hours.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:59 pm
ckr

Has anyone here who is not an Ameriprise client had this card for more than a year?
Old May 13, 2015, 8:04 am

Applied 9:00 AM this morning standard pending email. Called 30 minutes later just had to verify some information approved in less than 2 minutes. Could not get CSR to expedite but not a big deal I'll get it before my large purchase I plan to make soon. Never asked about being an Ameriprise customer just said thanks for applying for the Platinum Card.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:46 am

Will I have any problems getting this card?

score ~ 750
Not ameripirse client
recieved a gold card about 2 weeks ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.