Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
... Amex subcontracts its insurance. That's totally irrelevant.
I regret if my previous posts are rude, that's not my intention. We simply disagree on our understanding of the contract and on the most effective way to respond.

Have you contacted anyone at American Express who has the authority to change the decision? Explanations offered by front line customer service agents are not a reliable indication of the reasoning which went into the firm's decision.

Have you contacted the ombudsman?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 3:46 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I regret if my previous posts are rude, that's not my intention. We simply disagree on our understanding of the contract and on the most effective way to respond.

Have you contacted anyone at American Express who has the authority to change the decision? Explanations offered by front line customer service agents are not a reliable indication of the reasoning which went into the firm's decision.

Have you contacted the ombudsman?
My posts have largely been intended to provide help to others more adversely effected by the changes than I have been.

The issue is not whether Amex can make changes. It is how and when they make changes and it's my judgement that there is an odds on chance that the ombudsman would conclude that beneficial and minor changes can be made at any time but substantial changes mid-year would be considered "unfair" and that they would be told so.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by adl73x
No letter received here.
Very annoyed about it. Most of my long haul travel that is subject to inconvenience has to be booked through our corporate travel agent. So effectively, I am now uninsured.
Originally Posted by redshift27
I think the people most discomfitted will be those whose company travel is booked for them. And they may form a significantly large group. By all means rant to Amex direct and cancel if you feel appropriate.
Originally Posted by BucksFlyer
- What about business trips, when your company will reserve and pay your trip?
- If using points (else than MR) for flights and hotels, what then? Will the insurance cover, if I use the points, transferred from MR to any frequent flyer or hotel program...

They could not answer any of these questions... ... ...

I would very interested in the formal response to these questions.
I would imagine almost every Platinum holder will have times when their host or company book their flight or accommodation which means almost everyone will have to purchase another insurance policy.
Like the previous comments, I fall under the category that approx. 60% of my travel is arranged / paid for by the client, and there's no way around that as the corporate rates they get are much lower than what I could get.

I also have not received a letter yet advising me of the changes. I've had my Plat Charge Card for ~5 months now, so not sure if that makes any difference.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
It isn't a free benefit. You pay for it.
Not saying it isn't. My comment was how the Amex executive team described it to me and didn't seem to consider any complaint valid as they call it a free benefit.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:13 am

Travel Insurance Alternatives for the over 60's

If you're looking for annual policies because Amex have moved the goalposts Moneysavingexpert offers suggestions this week

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ins...insurance#over
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:05 am

This is a bad move by Amex. My travel is normally paid for by my company thru a travel agent, and if they don't pay by Amex, which of course they don't (its invoiced) then there is no cover.

The priority pass cards for me and my wife are useful but I am not sure they are worth £300.

I have told Amex of my concerns and suggest everybody else does as well. If you work for a large company perhaps you can get them to complain as well.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Roger
... the insurance documentation consists of:
- front cover:
- unnumbered blank page;
- unnumbered title page;
- pages 2-6;
- front cover (again);
- title page (again);
- pages 2-6 (again);
- pages 23-27;
- 2 blank pages;
- back page;
- pages 23-27 (again);
- 2 blank pages;
- back cover (again).

Not much cover there, then. I imagine pages 7-22 are quite important so have just sent a message to AmEx.
I got a response after the Christmas break.

They're out of stock so sent me a PDF - not so useful when travelling and I don't really want to take a bunch of A4 prints so I have asked for a paper copy when their stocks are replenished.

Stating the obvious, when making such substantial changes you'd think they'd have enough copies of the booklet to go around and a few extra to handle queries. @:-)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by uk1
It is how and when they make changes and it's my judgement that there is an odds on chance that the ombudsman would conclude that beneficial and minor changes can be made at any time but substantial changes mid-year would be considered "unfair" and that they would be told so.
I don't think it is unfair (unlike the earlier attempt to increase the Amex fee mid-membership year which was unfair).

It's not unfair because Amex has given notice of the change; it will refund your membership fee if you decide you no longer want the card, so that you are not out of pocket; and it does not apply retrospectively, in the sense that any bookings made before the cut off date will be covered by the old policy whenever the travel takes place.

It would be unfair if the policy changed for all travel made after 25 January, even if it had been booked before notice of the change had been given. In that case people could have booked travel expecting to be covered, and then found that they were not (because they had not used the Amex for example). But that is not the case. All travel booked before 25 January will be covered under the old policy regardless of when the travel takes place.

What it is, is very annoying. I think well written complaints to Amex may have more effect than complaints to the ombudsman in this case.

Curiously, I have not received notice yet on my cards.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:16 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It's short notice — a little over a month. Some would say that is quite unfair. The short notice is one of several points in my complaint to them, which they have now told me they will respond to within the next five days.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 1:51 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I don't think it is unfair (unlike the earlier attempt to increase the Amex fee mid-membership year which was unfair).

It's not unfair because Amex has given notice of the change; it will refund your membership fee if you decide you no longer want the card, so that you are not out of pocket; and it does not apply retrospectively, in the sense that any bookings made before the cut off date will be covered by the old policy whenever the travel takes place.

It would be unfair if the policy changed for all travel made after 25 January, even if it had been booked before notice of the change had been given. In that case people could have booked travel expecting to be covered, and then found that they were not (because they had not used the Amex for example). But that is not the case. All travel booked before 25 January will be covered under the old policy regardless of when the travel takes place.

What it is, is very annoying. I think well written complaints to Amex may have more effect than complaints to the ombudsman in this case.

Curiously, I have not received notice yet on my cards.
1. You are confusing what you consider to be unfair with what it is likely the ombudsman would consider to be unfair. What you or I think is unfair is irrelevant. The ombudsman will probably conclude that for example Amex telling elderly people who have bought and paid for an annual travel insurance policy that they are no longer covered just after they have paid their annual fee, and retaining the premium, when their circumstances hasn't changed will be considered to be unfair even if the fee is refundable. This isn't for reasons outside of Amex's control - it is a commercial decision because they do not wish to pay extra premiums to their underwriters even though they have collected the premiums from their customers. Finance companies aren't allowed to operate in this cavalier way and Amex will probably be told to stand by the cover until renewal. Offering refunds isn't an acceptable side-step. And if that is what they have the courage to do then they would have cancelled all policies mid way through the year and invited renewals based on the new cover. They haven't done this - they have withdrawn cover (and some people will not know this and are paying for cover they do not have but believe they have) and kept the premium anyway. In the finance industry this is "unfair", irresponsible and unethical and I'm sorry you do not get or accept this.

2. You don't understand the ombudsman process. It only escallates to the ombudsman if you fail to reach a satisfactory conclusion with your complaints to Amex. Going to the ombudsmnan first without that step only has the issue returned to Amex.

Anyway - I was only offering an opinion to those that wish to consider it - so I'll duck out of any further debate with you about what is fair or not.

Last edited by uk1; Dec 31, 2011 at 2:21 am
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by uk1
1. You are confusing what you consider to be unfair with what it is likely the ombudsman would consider to be unfair. What you or I think is unfair is irrelevant. The ombudsman will probably conclude that for example Amex telling elderly people who have bought and paid for an annual travel insurance policy that they are no longer covered just after they have paid their annual fee, and retaining the premium, when their circumstances hasn't changed will be considered to be unfair even if the fee is refundable. This isn't for reasons outside of Amex's control - it is a commercial decision because they do not wish to pay extra premiums to their underwriters even though they have collected the premiums from their customers. Finance companies aren't allowed to operate in this cavalier way and Amex will probably be told to stand by the cover until renewal. Offering refunds isn't an acceptable side-step. And if that is what they have the courage to do then they would have cancelled all policies mid way through the year and invited renewals based on the new cover. They haven't done this - they have withdrawn cover (and some people will not know this and are paying for cover they do not have but believe they have) and kept the premium anyway. In the finance industry this is "unfair", irresponsible and unethical and I'm sorry you do not get or accept this.

2. You don't understand the ombudsman process. It only escallates to the ombudsman if you fail to reach a satisfactory conclusion with your complaints to Amex. Going to the ombudsmnan first without that step only has the issue returned to Amex.

Anyway - I was only offering an opinion to those that wish to consider it - so I'll duck out of any further debate with you about what is fair or not.
Calm down. I am saying that I do not think the ombudsman will think it is unfair.

But the relevant test may not be fairness. You may be right about the approach the ombudsman takes to this. I'd be genuinely interested to know regulation stops "finance companies" from acting in this way. If you can give me chapter and verse I will be the first one to take it up with Amex and the ombudsman I can assure you.

The reason why I don't think it is unfair is because nobody loses out here, and nobody has had to pay a fee and then received less they originally expected, without having a refund.

Your point about people not knowing that the terms and conditions have changed is silly. If they have received the letter, then they will know or ought to know. If they have not received the letter (as I still have not) then the policy will not have changed. It can't be amended without notice.

In summary, I don't think this is unfair, but you could well be right that there is some regulation that prevents Amex doing this. If you can tell me what it is I would be grateful because in the event I receive notice of the change I will use it
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:47 am
uk1
Suspended

Calm down. I am saying that I do not think the ombudsman will think it is unfair.

But the relevant test may not be fairness. You may be right about the approach the ombudsman takes to this. I'd be genuinely interested to know regulation stops "finance companies" from acting in this way. If you can give me chapter and verse I will be the first one to take it up with Amex and the ombudsman I can assure you.

The reason why I don't think it is unfair is because nobody loses out here, and nobody has had to pay a fee and then received less they originally expected, without having a refund.

Your point about people not knowing that the terms and conditions have changed is silly. If they have received the letter, then they will know or ought to know. If they have not received the letter (as I still have not) then the policy will not have changed. It can't be amended without notice.

In summary, I don't think this is unfair, but you could well be right that there is some regulation that prevents Amex doing this. If you can tell me what it is I would be grateful because in the event I receive notice of the change I will use it
I am extremely calm, thank you very much. And unlike you, I understand that calling someone "silly" and then expecting them to go to some time and trouble to provide their help in return is ..... er .... silly.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator caution

Please write about Anerican Express, not about other posters.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I am extremely calm, thank you very much. And unlike you, I understand that calling someone "silly" and then expecting them to go to some time and trouble to provide their help in return is ..... er .... silly.
I apologise. Why not share the detail of the regulations with the forum? If it is right (which I accept may well be the case) it would be immeasurably helpful a large number of posters.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:43 am
uk1
Suspended

I apologise. Why not share the detail of the regulations with the forum? If it is right (which I accept may well be the case) it would be immeasurably helpful a large number of posters.
The industry regulations with respect to fair treatment are generic and pretty obvious - you don't need a set of rules to understand that or to make a complaint. Every single possible cause for complaint cannot have a set of specified rules to specifically cover them because pretty much every complaint made is different. If you could write a set of rules - then you wouldn't need an arbitrator/ombudsman. That is why - as I'm sure you've grasped arbitrating on issues of what is fair or unfair treatment is the whole idea of the ombudsman. He decides what is fair or not.

I've simply provided my opinion that this would probably be viewed as unfair. This is based purely on my own opinion - which you can respect or not as you wish - but based on the considerable experience you may have understood from seeing my other posts in fora and threads we have both participated in. I was right on the previous issue which from recall you also disagreed would be found in favour of customers - and I was right - and I believe the ombudsman would find in customers favour on this one as well. Nothing is ever guaranteed - - life and ombudsman are fickle - that is why I continually and very carefully use the word "probably".

In any event you are disqualified from complaining because you believe what they have done is "fair". You cannot genuinely and honourably complain about "fair" treatment now can you? That would be unfair.

Anyway I think I have treated your question patiently and respectfully but frankly it is up to you if you want to formalise your complaint with Amex and then follow it through if or when they turn it down. All you need to demonstrate in a complaint is "unfairness" for it to be successful, but I don't think you will be able to because you will have to tell them with honesty that on this particular issue you think their treatment of their customers is fair.

Last edited by uk1; Jan 1, 2012 at 3:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.