Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:19 am

Presumably the BA Amex Premium Plus card has not yet changed its policy, which for delays, lost baggage etc is better than the Plat card anyway?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
No, redshift27, you're not being thick, but have you any comments about the other serious objections?

Your point about using the card as guarantee is of course meaningless if the card is not charged.

Here is an example of where travel would not be covered: redemption on Eurostar and hotel paid for with points. And yes, I have redeemed for Eurostar and hotels. Eurostar has the benefit of no charge for taxes, surcharges or sur-surcharges.

I haven't yet compared plat cover with that of the BA PP card. I can't help feeling that some 'enhancements' may be due there.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
I've been looking around to try and find a UK Insurance provider with a travel inconvenience benefit equivalent to the Amex Plat.

Has anyone found such, especially delays commencing at 4 hours with reasonable claimable amounts arising?

I'm annoyed that I will now have to buy such a policy separately, but I be ropeable if it isn't available to buy.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: F
I think the people most discomfitted will be those whose company travel is booked for them. And they may form a significantly large group. By all means rant to Amex direct and cancel if you feel appropriate.

The second group affected are those with independent young adult offspring with supplementary Gold cards. They and their partners may not have Amex cards of their own, which introduces a lot of hassle.

For me the travel insurance will suffice, I will certainly use this in my annual "fee negotiation" phone call though.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: HH Gold
Got my letter this morning

As much as I like Amex I don't want to be forced to only book travel on the card to benefit from the cover.

It's silly, Amex please undo this crazy clause.

Rest is acceptable in my eyes.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by Olly-

I have telephoned and lodged a complaint - I really don't think the card is worth the £300 a year any more.
Let us know how you get on.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:44 am

As I understand the letter that Olly kindly posted, it appears as though the medical insurance will still be valid regardless of how/where one charges their travel costs, correct?

While I agree that this is a big devaluation, it isn't as bad as I feared for my personal situation. I can understand AmEx not wanting to cover cancellation or change fees, lost or delayed baggage fees, etc. when one hasn't charged an airline ticket or hotel bill to an AmEx.

I kept the UK-issued IDC for the medical travel insurance because my US-issued AmEx does not offer such coverage (presumably they assume anyone with a US-issued AmEx has medical insurance). Since my husband and I live in Europe, we need medical insurance for our trips to the U.S.

While I'm not thrilled with the reduction to 90 days for a single trip, if I'm reading the change correctly, we will still have medical insurance should something happen to us requiring hospitalization or medical care while we are on a trip to the U.S. for fewer than 90 days.

I still haven't received a letter that this applies to my IDC, but appreciate being forewarned by FT.

Now I just need to go back and read the terms of my US-issued AmEx to see if I have coverage for cancelled trips or delayed / lost baggage.

Susan
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Various
It doesn't surprise me that AmEx went down this route - the cover on Platinum/BA Prem+ has actually been more comprehensive that UK Centurion in a few areas for a while. So it looks like they took the cheaper option of devaluing the level of cover on Platinum to make Centurion more comprehensive again.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
It doesn't surprise me that AmEx went down this route - the cover on Platinum/BA Prem+ has actually been more comprehensive that UK Centurion in a few areas for a while. So it looks like they took the cheaper option of devaluing the level of cover on Platinum to make Centurion more comprehensive again.
Would you please elaborate on what those areas are/were? Also, does that mean that UK Centurion is unaffected by this? Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well, I do not seem to have received the letter either and would not have know about this had I not read this thread. That is somewhat annoying.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
RBS black card vs Amex Plat

with the changes I am thinking of switching to RBS Black (I currently have a standard current account with RBS).

What are peoples thoughts on RBS Black vs AMEX PLAT?
Also, If I switch to RBS could i keep a basic , no fee , AMEX card going and switch my AMEX POINTS onto this card or would I need to use my points before cancelling my PLAT?
(I currently have AMEX SPG - £75 a year - which I would keep)

******RBS BLACK BENEFITS - £24 A MONTH************

Travel benefits

5 Star Defaqto rated Worldwide multi-trip Travel Insurance
Cover for you, your partner and any children aged under age 18 if they are unmarried (or aged 23 or under if in full-time education), permanently residing with you.
5 Star Defaqto rated cover.
You’re covered for 90 days for each trip and up to 31 days for winter sports trips.
If you have an existing medical condition you may have to pay an additional premium, accept your cover may exclude certain conditions or cover may be declined.

Worldwide Airport Lounge Access
Relax in comfort when you’re travelling for pleasure. We’ll help you take the strain out of travel – with access to first class facilities.

Unlimited access to over 560 airport lounges worldwide, subject to availability.
Complimentary drinks and snacks, and use of business facilities.
For joint accounts, both account holders must register to use this benefit.

Black Travel Service
Enjoy a discount of 10% on your next family holiday, weekend getaway, or business trip. The Black Account Travel Service gives you discounts on big name package tours, car hire, flight transfers and more.

Preferential rates on Travel Money
Special rates on your foreign banknotes and travellers cheques delivered to your home (or local branch) at no extra cost.

Protection benefits

Mobile Phone Insurance
Covers all mobile phones – including your iPhone.
Up to £1,250 replacement value – if your mobile is lost or stolen, or can’t be repaired.
Unauthorised calls cover – up to £2,500 for monthly contracts and up to £100 for pay as you go customers.
Covers up to four mobile phones.
Cover starts 7 days after registration.

European Car Breakdown Cover with Green Flag
Can't start your car in the morning or broken down anywhere in Europe? Relax, Green Flag is there to help.

Roadside assistance anywhere in Europe, even on your driveway (For European trips outside the UK, cover will not apply for vehicles over 10 years old at the beginning of the trip).
If we can’t get you back on the road we’ll make sure you’re not stranded – we’ll arrange alternative transport or provide up to £500 for accommodation.
24 hour assistance 365 days a year.
Covers all cars registered to you at your address.
Identity Theft Assistance
Protection against the threat of identity theft.

Monitor your credit status with Experian, a market leader in credit information, and receive updates if anything changes.
Track the uses of your personal details online – and receive alerts if anyone is using them.
If the worst happens, a dedicated caseworker will help you restore your identity.
For joint accounts, both account holders must register to use this benefit.

Card Protection
If any of your cards are lost or stolen, you’re covered for up to £20,000 where your card issuer deems you liable. One call to our reporting facility will stop all cards from further use. You don’t have to register for this benefit, but it will help to cancel lost or stolen cards more quickly if you have already registered them before they go missing.

Emergency cash
Lost your card or had it stolen? Call us anytime and we'll give you a code to withdraw up to £300 from your bank account - without a card – from any of our UK cash machines. You need to have enough money in your account to cover the withdrawal.
You need to be an online or telephone banking customer to withdraw up to £300. If not you can withdraw up to £60 only. You must have at least £25 in your account to use this service.

Home Emergency Service
A burst pipe or an electrical fault? Give us a call, day or night – we’ll put you in safe hands and pay for emergency works up to £750 for each callout. Includes your main residence and any second home that you own in the UK. Exclusions apply such as boilers over 10 years old exceeding 75Kw output.

Leisure benefits

Black Tickets Service
Receive 25% cashback on tickets for theatre, dance, opera, concert performances and more throughout the UK. Order up to six tickets through the booking service for each event, up to four bookings a year.

24/7 Black Concierge Service
A table for two at a top New York restaurant. Tickets for major sporting events in London. Your Concierge could save you time – and help find you alternatives that offer you great deals.

Banking benefits

Private Black credit card
Available to Black Account holders only, this rewarding card can be used at millions of outlets worldwide. Representative 14.9% APR (variable).

YourPoints – earn rewards that you can redeem for shopping vouchers, travel and much more.
Great offers – special lifestyle, travel and shopping offers.
Representative 14.9% APR (variable) based on an assumed Credit Limit of £1,200. Standard interest rate for purchases: 14.94% p.a. (variable).

Please note: In the Representative Example we have used an assumed credit limit of £1,200. The actual credit limit assigned to individual accounts will vary depending on our credit assessment of you.

Over 18s only.

Preferential savings rates
Enjoy preferential interest rates and instant access to your money.
Banking Offers
From time to time we will have Banking Offers for Black Account customers. These could include:

Mortgage offers - and deals on personal loans.
Will writing service – make sure your finances are in order for the future with a discount on our usual will writing fees.
Personal tax service – our professional, personal tax service will save you time completing your own tax return, and you can enjoy a discount on the normal fee.
Share dealing – access discounts on commission for buying and selling UK and international shares.
Car and home insurance – save money on your first year’s premium (car insurance is subject to a minimum premium).
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by AmexCent
Would you please elaborate on what those areas are/were? Also, does that mean that UK Centurion is unaffected by this? Thanks!
Can't remember all the details, but it was related to this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nefits-uk.html

I did get a written reply to my questions to AmEx about this, basically saying they were in the process of evaluating the cover levels for the various tiers.

Off top of my head it was related to delayed luggage cover, and personal accident.

I am going to drop my relationship manager a note to see if any changes to Centurion insurance are forthcoming - the cover nowadays is fine but it has been far better in the past. The delayed luggage cover is laughable given the general profile of Centurion customers, £400 is hardly going to be enough to replace clothes for a business meeting the next day unless I pop along to Asda or Walmart. The average item in the fashion section of the Centurion magazine is far more thn £400 alone.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
... If I switch to RBS could i keep a basic , no fee , AMEX card going and switch my AMEX POINTS onto this card or would I need to use my points before cancelling my PLAT?.
The terms are published here:

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....nguageId=en_gb

3. If a Cardmember has more than one American Express Card account enrolled in the Programme, voluntarily cancels any such Card account, and keeps at least one American Express Basic Card account (not including an Optima Card Account) enrolled in the Programme, any Points accrued in the Programme account as a result of charges billed to the cancelled Card account will remain valid in the Programme Account provided all other conditions set out herein have been met.

4. If a Cardmember voluntarily cancels Programme enrolment or cancels all Linked Accounts enrolled in a Programme, but keeps at least one American Express Card, the Cardmember will have up to six-months to re-enrol in a Programme in order to reactivate any Points previously accrued in the Programme account prior to such cancellation.

5. If a Cardmember cancels a Linked Account and cancels all American Express Cards all Points accrued in the Cardmember's Programme account and not redeemed at the date of cancellation will be forfeited, unless otherwise agreed at the time of such cancellation.
In other words, you must hold a card which is enrolled in Membership Rewards to maintain the balance indefinitely, and there are no "free" cards eliegible for Membership Rewards.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:03 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Originally Posted by mia
The terms are published here:

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....nguageId=en_gb

In other words, you must hold a card which is enrolled in Membership Rewards to maintain the balance indefinitely, and there are no "free" cards eliegible for Membership Rewards.
thanks
take it i couldnt transfer to my starwood amex ?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:13 am
Original Poster

No, you could see if they would downgrade you to a Green charge card which is £30-40 a year (although not advertised on their website any more).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.