Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
ok might keep the amex for a while and think about switching once ive spent the points
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
take it i couldnt transfer to my starwood amex ?
Nothing can be transferred to a American Express SPG card, Starpoints accumulate at Starwood not at American Express. You can transfer Membership Rewards points to Starwood, but bear in mind that 2 Membership Rewards points is equal to 1 Starpoint. (This is the rate for Sterling card account, US Dollar accounst transfer 3:1.)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:20 pm
uk1
Suspended

Not received my letter yet.

I may have missed it but I haven't seen any comments on the technical "unfairness" of changing the terms and conditions after a premium has been paid. Amex have already lost escalated complaints when they tried to change premiums mid-way through a year and these changes strike me as being equally "unfair" changes unless they come into play after a new membership year starts.

I encouraged Amex members to complain when their fees for associated cards to the Plat when they were increased mid-year and their complaints were upheld and refunds made. Complaints cost Amex (from memory) £300 each. I would have thought they would have learned from that experience.

Nothing is lost if members ask for their claims (once rejected by Amex) to be formalised. I suggest everyone does this. It will at least provide part of an extra year on existing terms.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:47 am

I have not been notified of this change, so assume it does not apply to ICC accounts. However, what would happen if a claim is filed and rejected in accordance with 'new' terms and conditions, but the person has not been notified in writing of changes to the terms?

Surely they cannot expect us to find out about these things from FT and would be liable if we make a claim in accordance with existing terms and conditions for which we haven't been advised in writing are no longer valid.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Olly-
In reality virtually every airline, hotel and car hire place takes Amex.
But many travel companies and sellers of packaged holidays do not. For instance, I have just booked a skiing holiday where the company do not take Amex and I rely on my Amex insurance to cover the family for winter sports. I now do feel entirely comfortable relying on the cover (I understand I am covered this year because I have booked before the new terms come into effect.)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Lolbert
But many travel companies and sellers of packaged holidays do not. For instance, I have just booked a skiing holiday where the company do not take Amex and I rely on my Amex insurance to cover the family for winter sports. I now do feel entirely comfortable relying on the cover (I understand I am covered this year because I have booked before the new terms come into effect.)
forgive me - but I thought the new terms were clear in that if you purchase your travel through a travel merchant/supplier that doesn't accept Amex, you would still be covered.

I'll go and re-read, as perhaps I'm the one thats confused!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Magic01273
forgive me - but I thought the new terms were clear in that if you purchase your travel through a travel merchant/supplier that doesn't accept Amex, you would still be covered.

I'll go and re-read, as perhaps I'm the one thats confused!
Agreed but my post was in response to a previous poster stating that virtually all hotels, airlines and car hire companies take Amex.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by uk1

I may have missed it but I haven't seen any comments on the technical "unfairness" of changing the terms and conditions after a premium has been paid. Amex have already lost escalated complaints when they tried to change premiums mid-way through a year and these changes strike me as being equally "unfair" changes unless they come into play after a new membership year starts.

I encouraged Amex members to complain when their fees for associated cards to the Plat when they were increased mid-year and their complaints were upheld and refunds made. Complaints cost Amex (from memory) £300 each. I would have thought they would have learned from that experience.

Nothing is lost if members ask for their claims (once rejected by Amex) to be formalised. I suggest everyone does this. It will at least provide part of an extra year on existing terms.
I don't think this is unfair. The terms and conditions make it clear that Amex can vary the contract, for specified reasons, by giving a minimum of 30 days notice. I think this is reasonable. I don't agree with the changes; I think it is a huge mistake by Amex. But it is not unfair (unlike the retrospective fee increase that they were rightly castigated for).

You would be better off writing or using their twitter page to complain that the policy becomes worthless if you have to buy additional insurance for certain trips (because you may as well buy a proper annual policy). An increase in premium, or an increase in excess, would not be objectionable, but the requirement to use the card to pay all components of the trip, and the lack of cover where you do not, or where you do not pay for your travel or accommodation is objectionable.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by uk1

That's exactly what I did in my e-mail to them. Whether on firm ground or not I said I felt they were in breach of contract. I'd paid my £300 and they were making significant changes. I asked either for the insurance cover to be restored (no chance I suspect) or to cancel my membership and return relevant proportion of the annual fee.

Their response so far has been "I have passed your comments onto our Insurance Executive Team who will investigate the matter and contact you within 5 working days." Will report back on what happens...

bmifly
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:50 am

I'm not 100% sure without going and finding the booklet with the T&C's in it, but I think my plat insurance policy already only covers cancellation / delays etc on trips booked with AMEX - I remember reading it and thinking that as work book and pay for most of my travel it wouldn't help me much anyway...

I took it out earlier this year as part of the 40K miles/quidco package, possibly last April time...

I've also not received any letters from them in a while...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bmifly
That's exactly what I did in my e-mail to them. Whether on firm ground or not I said I felt they were in breach of contract. I'd paid my £300 and they were making significant changes. I asked either for the insurance cover to be restored (no chance I suspect) or to cancel my membership and return relevant proportion of the annual fee.

Their response so far has been "I have passed your comments onto our Insurance Executive Team who will investigate the matter and contact you within 5 working days." Will report back on what happens...

bmifly
Not sure what the point of your letter was. EVERYONE is allowed to cancel their Plat at any time and get a refund on the unused part of the fee, so its not as if they would be doing you a special favour!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by bmifly

bmifly
Raffles is correct:

Originally Posted by Amex
18.2 You may notify us in writing at any time that you no longer wish to maintain your card benefits in which case we will cancel your card...
We will refund you the cardmembership fee on a pro-rata basis...
But which terms of the contract do you say they are in breach of? Your contract reads as follows:

Originally Posted by Amex
VARIATION OF COVER
We reserve the right to add to these Policy Terms and Conditions and/or make changes or withdraw
certain insurance benefits:
1) For legal or regulatory reasons; and/or
2) To reflect new industry guidance and codes of practice; and/or
3) To reflect legitimate cost increases or reductions associated with providing this insurance; and/or
4) For any other legitimate commercial reason, for example in the event of a change of Insurer.
If this happens We, or American Express with Our authority, will write to You with details of the changes
at least 30 days before We make them. You may cancel Your Card if You do not agree to any proposed
changes.
They are not in breach of contract. By all means complain, but do so on an arguable basis.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:22 am

Replacement

Having also received the letter, I am looking for a replacement. The most important thing to me was knowing that if something went wrong during my travels, I would be covered.

Does any one know of a good travel insurance that would cover delays, etc.? Cost is not as much an issue as peace of mind.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I sent AmEx an online message based on my earlier post above. The automatic response promised a reply within 5 working days, which are up today.

I had a call this morning from somebody from AmEx customer services (name withheld in accordance with custom and practice) who turned out to be from the account closure department. The '5 days' bit is apparently a requirement from the FSA. He told me that AmEx had sent me a snailmail letter yesterday. He couldn't tell me what was in it (why not? ) but we both assumed it was a holding letter.

I took the opportunity of amplifying my concerns - majoring on the lower qualifying age for medical cover and the lack of cover for journeys not paid for using AmEx. No longer was the card one which provided peace of mind in the secure knowledge that everything was covered. We will have to take out additional cover because of the changes. This may or may not be with AmEx - probably not as Nationwide FlexAccount offers us 'free' cover in Europe which can be extended to worldwide for £20. (Obvious exclusions to that: car rental cover and Priority Pass.)

We discussed the virtually 3% surcharge on foreign spend as an obstacle for me. His Californian colleague close by confirmed to him that US plat and Centurion cards do indeed have a zero surcharge for foreign use. Applying that to UK cards would go some way to restoring confidence in the plat card.

If there is anything relevant in the snailmail letter, I'll report back.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

I called on the 8th and was told I'd either get a call back or a letter reply to my complaint but so far I've had nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.