Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I'll also be expecting a snailmail letter then, as have already received the 5-day holding reply. Good work Roger on re-emphasising all those concerns and the forex issue - agree that removing that charge and perhaps some sweetener on next year's annual fee for current customers would be a good step towards restoring confidence.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat UK, BA, Diamond HHonors
Just got letter today and called and ranted for a bit. Was being transferred to a Manager and was.. cut off. Some real great service there Amex.

I was going to post on here but see i am late in getting the letter.

Am I missing something? Surely most Amex plat customers has travel booked by corp agent?

This is ever so dissapointing - moreso when i just reccomended a friend because of the great travel insurance benefits.

I will email complaint now - can people please continue to post any responses they get?

Does anyone know if any paid for insurance policy from Amex will cover what we have no lost? Seems to me that we should be vying for that cover with compliments.

So dissapointed.

Last edited by travelfreakuk; Dec 17, 2011 at 2:29 am Reason: s
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
They've lost another customer here.

I was offered a 50% discount on my renewal fee which doesn't help at all as it's the changes in insurance that cause me the greatest problem.

I'm keeping my BA card for the 2-4-1 voucher, but it's goodbye to Plat for me after 6 years.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:22 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I don't think this is unfair. The terms and conditions make it clear that Amex can vary the contract, for specified reasons, by giving a minimum of 30 days notice.
I'm not repeating all that was said in the other thread when pretty much the same point was made and you are perfectly entitled to your opinion about what you think is fair or unfair - but this is about what banks are and are not allowed to do in varying their terms and paid for benefits mid-way through a year. The insurance isn't free is is for a fee already paid and members are relying on receiving whta they paid for until the next renewal. Just because a clause says Amex can make changes doesn't make all of the changes legal or fair. Some of the changes are changes that they can only make at an anniversary but not after an annual payment has been made.

For example telling you a member who is a 70 year old (I'm not there yet ....) who has already paid their annual fee that they will not receive certain cover that they have already paid for, for bookings that they plan to make during their current membership year will not not now covered is pretty clearly "unfair". Effectively some of the changes are therefore retrospective and can only be notified for renewals. As I mentioned earlier if escallated as a complaint it will in all probability be reversed as it will be constituted as unfair. It was in the last thread - and it will be with this issue.

So anyone adversely effected by the changes in the current membership year should formalise a complaint and if neccessary trigger the procedure.

**Anyone else still not received written notice of the changes?**
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by uk1

I haven't.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:05 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I haven't.
Interesting to see how well they would deal with a 71 year old who hasn't received notice of the changes who then goes on to need to make a claim for medical cover they have already paid for, for a trip they book after the change date but within the current membership year. There will undoubtedly be some.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Interesting to see how well they would deal with a 71 year old who hasn't received notice of the changes who then goes on to need to make a claim for medical cover they have already paid for, for a trip they book after the change date but within the current membership year. There will undoubtedly be some.
Or me who is not 71 !
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I haven't.
Nor have I. Perhaps I am immune, having had a card for 15 years?!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
I am a mere baby, only had it for 7 years. I can just imagine the call if there is a problem with them saying "you should have received a letter", "well I didn't" and then what ? How do we stand legally on things like that ?

Edited to add: I got the letter in the post just now.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Dec 20, 2011 at 3:06 am Reason: Got the letter
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Edited to add: I got the letter in the post just now.
Looks like Big Brother AMEX is watching this thread!!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by uk1
For example telling you a member who is a 70 year old (I'm not there yet ....) who has already paid their annual fee that they will not receive certain cover that they have already paid for ...
It's not just 70+ year old members. Just to amplify this point, ask around and you will find some/many members under 70 who have their parents as additional cardholders. So more are affected than may seem the case at first sight.
Originally Posted by Raffles
No, I don't think so. I had the letter and I've had my card for over 17 years.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:50 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I havn't had a letter yet, I'm new to amex this april. I've done about 5-6 referrals, the major highlight of getting the referral was the brilliant insurancce (along with the 42K points of course). So now not only do I feel less that assured that I'm always definitely covered, I feel as if I've misguided the referees I got.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I have not, but mine is a UK-issued International Dollar Card so still not sure if this applies.

Susan
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: BMI, BA, Aegean Airlines
Haven't receive my letter either. Perhaps they are monitoring the reaction to the first batch?
I also feel bad about my referrals which focused largely on the insurance.
Can someone explain how the refund on a cancellation works. For instance would a cancellation at 9 months result in a refund of £225 (9*25)?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:42 am

Thumbs down Might as well buy Tescos insurance

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Looks like Big Brother AMEX is watching this thread!!
The devaluation of the benefits, the Amex booking fees agents charge and the lack of clarity about having an annual travel insurance that may or may not cover you means I will cancel. Just the Amex-only booking fees will add another £300 to my travel costs. It adds £20 to every Easyjet booking alone. I doubt it'll cost £600 to switch to Nationwide, Black or someone else. The age 70 limit compared to Nationwide's 75 means Amex is just not offering anything competitive any more. They've gone from the most comprehensive to no better than a supermarket policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.