Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: BMI, BA, Aegean Airlines
This is a serious devaluation and definately a cancellation issue. Not at all happy.

Last edited by mia; Dec 8, 2011 at 6:23 pm Reason: Please do not quote the entire text of multi paragraph posts.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by BucksFlyer
This is a serious devaluation and definately a cancellation issue. Not at all happy.
+1
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: Yes please
I downgraded to Platinum from the Centurion card when they tripled its fee last year. The only reason I stayed with Amex at all was for the travel insurance, but since then I have opened some HSBC Premier accounts and they also provide travel insurance (in my case, two different polices based in two countries) and I was wondering if it was still worth renewing my Platinum card when it comes up for renewal in February. This pretty well answers my question.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:18 am

The changes render the policy useless, because for each trip you will have to check to see whether you are covered, or whether your supplementary cardholder is covered, and for some trips you will have to buy a separate insurance policy. It removes the peace of mind that an annual travel insurance policy is supposed to bring. Once you have to buy another insurance policy, then you may as well buy a single annual policy that does cover these situations, and not bother with the Amex.

I think it is worth contacting Amex and letting them know your views. I don't think they have thought this through very well. Sometimes they make mistakes; their attempt to charge BA Amex cardholders a retrospective annual fee was an obvious mistake and for which they were corrected by the regulator.

The point here is not that this is a devaluation of the insurance benefits, because they are bound to change over time, but that this effectively removes the annual travel insurance altogether. A simple increase in an excess, or a reduction in certain amounts of cover, would be far less objectionable.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
It removes the peace of mind that an annual travel insurance policy is supposed to bring.
Exactly
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
As everyone else has said - MASSIVE devaluation. Means you need extra insurance anyway - so what is the point of the card fee. Mine will be cancelled after my time away over xmas!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:09 am

i got the letter today too. The excess and stuff is annoying, and having to put my travel purchases on here instead of my AA and UA cards (particularly my cards in the US), but I don't understand what the "massive devaluation" is ... when i use my card to book a trip, i'm covered. am I missing soemthign? what's annoying for me is for my parents having to reimburse me when they travel because they have to put through their purchases on the cards i gave them for cover.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:50 am

As I understand it, if you pay for your flights on a Plat or BA (Blue or PP) Amex you will still have the same medical and delay/cancellation cover as before, apart from the new £50 excess. So for the majority of UK-based card holders I really don't see much difference.

For me, the benefits of the travel insurance for myself, my wife, two sons and their partners and children, plus the Priority Pass x 2 is still reasonable value.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:56 am

I have not received the "insurance devaluation" letter yet, but I did receive another letter today titled "introducing the perfect companion to your platinum card". It is offering me a Platinum credit card with 3000 bonus MR points after spending £500 in the first 3 months.

Is it likely that this will count towards my maximum number of Amex cards (which would probably put me over the limit) or will it and the Plat charge card count as one?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: BMI, BA, Aegean Airlines
Originally Posted by SteveF
I have not received the "insurance devaluation" letter yet, but I did receive another letter today titled "introducing the perfect companion to your platinum card". It is offering me a Platinum credit card with 3000 bonus MR points after spending £500 in the first 3 months.

Is it likely that this will count towards my maximum number of Amex cards (which would probably put me over the limit) or will it and the Plat charge card count as one?
I got the same letter presumably sent before I'm due to receive the 'devaluation' letter. Seems like after months of heavily promoting the Platinum Card Amex has calculated a number of us are going to cancel with this change.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by AJetSetter
I don't understand what the "massive devaluation" is ...
Originally Posted by SteveF
... for the majority of UK-based card holders I really don't see much difference.
If the changes don't affect you, fine. Olly was good enough to scan the letter, so it's all explained there.

For starters:
  • the upper age limit for medical cover is reduced to 70 - this alone requires a separate policy for those who want to retain medical cover;
  • non-sterling purchases cost an additional 3% (OK, then 2.99%) and some of us use other cards with 0% loading. If we want foreign expenditure to be covered, we pay 3% more;
  • travel and/or hotels paid for completely with points are not covered.

We will no longer have the peace of mind coverage currently offered by the AmEx card and will need to check each time which components of our trips are covered and which are not.

If AmEx were to offer 0% loading to their UK clients as they do to their US plat and Centurion customers, that would help alleviate the devaluation.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Roger
If the changes don't affect you, fine. Olly was good enough to scan the letter, so it's all explained there.

For starters:
  • the upper age limit for medical cover is reduced to 70 - this alone requires a separate policy for those who want to retain medical cover;
  • non-sterling purchases cost an additional 3% (OK, then 2.99%) and some of us use other cards with 0% loading. If we want foreign expenditure to be covered, we pay 3% more;
  • travel and/or hotels paid for completely with points are not covered.

We will no longer have the peace of mind coverage currently offered by the AmEx card and will need to check each time which components of our trips are covered and which are not.

If AmEx were to offer 0% loading to their UK clients as they do to their US plat and Centurion customers, that would help alleviate the devaluation.
And if you use your Amex IDC to pay bills in US$, does this count as a UK issued card? Will the policy under that card be varied? Do you claim partly on your UK Platinum card policy (e.g. for flights in £) and partly on your IDC card (e.g. for accommodation in US$)?

What happens if you lose your card, or it gets broken, and you cannot pay for travel or accommodation with it?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
No letter received here.
Very annoyed about it. Most of my long haul travel that is subject to inconvenience has to be booked through our corporate travel agent. So effectively, I am now uninsured.

Did get the letter today offering the Plat Credit Card. Not in any hurry to take that up. Same 2.99% Forex fee, same 1 MR per GBP, paltry 3000 MR sign up. One plus: no annual fee.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Roger, I couldn't have put it better myself. I was going to reply to the exact same two posts until I saw yours

Additional points....
  • Possible/probable added hassle if you try to claim on the policy where you haven't been able to pay using Amex - imagine the argument with Amex if an employee has told you "no, I'm sorry we don't take Amex" because they've been encouraged to say that to avoid the high Amex fees - whereas the company DOES take it. You'd be uninsured because of incorrect information given by an employee.
  • Supplementary cardholders will now have to spend on the card and reimburse you

Is that worth the risk / hassle? No, not to me.

To be honest, the travel insurance was the big carrot for me to buying the Amex card. The other travel benefits are useful and helped - I don't deny it - but it was the travel insurance that drew me to the card and swung the decision. Are the other benefits worth £300 if I now have to fork out separately for travel insurance? It's very debatable, to me at least
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Roger
[*]travel and/or hotels paid for completely with points are not covered.
Excuse me for being thick, but if you are paying for accommodation or travel ENTIRELY with points, how did the old policy help you? Amex would not have arranged points reimbursement if you lost them by cancelling too late. Many points reservations are flexible or nearly so, and you would get your points back in any case simply by cancelling in advance.

And with respect to the baggage / delay insurance for a travel reservation, apart from the now defunct Airmiles scheme, how did you avoid paying any taxes?

To give an example under the new policy:

Trip paid for by Avios or bmi miles. Taxes put onto an Amex card. Covered.

Hotel payed for with points. Points not covered, never were, not necessary. But use an Amex card as confirmation for the booking: covered in case of charge on card due to no show due to an incident within the terms of the policy. Hotel doesn't take Amex as guarantee? Covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.