Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK: Hugely detrimental changes to Platinum travel insurance from January 25, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:33 am

I also received the message today - been a 'member' since 1993, so I guess they are still working their way through.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:22 pm
uk1
Suspended

I received the letter a couple of hours ago.

I am old enough not to surprised by stuff, but it genuinely saddens me that brands p*ss away the extraordinary and often emotive investment imbedded in their name. If they had said that the changes started following next renewal it would be sad but it would be c'est la vie. Telling me that they have my cash but they are giving me less than we agreed is an easy way of trashing the relationship and santandering the brand.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:41 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roger
It's not just 70+ year old members. Just to amplify this point, ask around and you will find some/many members under 70 who have their parents as additional cardholders. So more are affected than may seem the case at first sight.No, I don't think so. I had the letter and I've had my card for over 17 years.
Apologies - I'd inadvertently understated who had effectively been cheated out of benefits already paid for. I remain mystified as to how some people - both Ft'ers and Amex people can conclude that it is fair to cancel benefits mid-year after customers have paid for them.

They'll be loads of people that will remain unaware of these changes either through postal failure or not reading it properly.

The ombudsman I'm quite certain will change this if asked to. He will certainly insist on claims being met for those needing to claim having stated they were unaware of any changes. This way of doing business will leave thousands of effectively without having cover and simply not knowing. But the ombudsman will be too late for many. I hate to think of what it will be like to be amongst that small number in dire health trouble abroad and calling for assistance to discover that there isn't any.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
my letter had arrived when I got home this evening...one wonders what the position would be if it got lost ? I would be unaware of the change and would be possibly making un-insured trips.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond , Marriott Gold , IHG Plat
Got my doom and gloom letter today

What a lovely Christmas present. This really devalues the reason why I have the card. I think it will be time to say goodbye soon!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
...They'll be loads of people that will remain unaware of these changes either through postal failure or not reading it properly....
"not reading it properly" is not really an issue for the ombudsman. I still haven't received the letter so am honestly oblivious to the change.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by PeeTee
"not reading it properly" is not really an issue for the ombudsman. I still haven't received the letter so am honestly oblivious to the change.
No you're not. And you know it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No you're not. And you know it.
I'll change that to "legally oblivious to the change"...but I'm not surprised I haven't received the letter yet as Royal Mail is pretty rubbish around here.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:53 pm

my letter arrived today... for me, the most irritating bit is the requirement to put flight + hotel expenses onto the card. with the 2.99% loading, & i guess my average would be 5k or so a year in expenses (more if i do that trip of amans i've been meaning to...), that's an extra 150 pounds a year to be fully covered. so 50% effective hike in the cost of the card package.

i've written to them, & not sure i'll be renewing in march unless there's some variety of sweetener. 0% forex/??

positive side: a couple xmas presents from amex plat arrived this week. 2 x fast track passes for heathrow, 2 x 10 pound world duty free vouchers. also a flyer offering a complimentary night at 'selected starwood resorts around the world' (no minimum stay requirement - but probably blackout dates aplenty) arrived today - some decent hotels, too - w samui, w bali, the andaman in langkawi... hope others get these too. possibly that's their way of pre-empting some 'vigorous' renewal discussions in the new year...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by limelight
for me, the most irritating bit is the requirement to put flight + hotel expenses onto the card.
Does it say that a 'trip' has to include a flight and hotel component? What if one goes on a trip, takes a flight, but doesn't stay in a hotel at the destination?

Has anyone with a UK-issued ICC (IDC/IEC) received the letter?

Susan
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Does it say that a 'trip' has to include a flight and hotel component? What if one goes on a trip, takes a flight, but doesn't stay in a hotel at the destination?

Susan
My letter says:

If you pay for the travel part of your trip with your American Express card, your travel will be covered in full. If you pay for your accommodation another way, or don't pay anything for your accommodation, this won't be covered.

So, travel covered, accommodation not is my reading of it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Amex don't seem to consider complaints valid, as the insurance is a free benefit, so they can do what they like and it's not part of the annual fee.

But it's ok, I received a 10% discount offer on Amex Travel Insurance today to make up for it!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The NatWest Black does not appear to have this insistence on booking through their card to validate the insurance, and it has the Priority Pass option and is £50 cheaper.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK

Susan
Great question. Given at least one trip a year and possibly 3 this year is to family abroad this insurance becomes pretty useless.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:07 am
uk1
Suspended

"not reading it properly" is not really an issue for the ombudsman.
I didn't say it was.

I still haven't received the letter so am honestly oblivious to the change.
Honestly oblivious to the change? Strange concept of honesty!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.