Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: Onepass Gold
Does The Credit Occur automatically?

Do you have a choice on how to use the $200? Do you need to give any type of notice to AMX for the credit to occur?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Chuco35
Do you have a choice on how to use the $200? Do you need to give any type of notice to AMX for the credit to occur?
No notice is required. However, you do need to register an airline first prior to your purchases. As far as how to use it, it just has to fall under the guidelines. Change fees, baggage fees, on flight purchases, club access, etc. If you do not see yourself using all that, you can also purchase gift cards through select airlines. I have only had success with American Airline meaning I have only been choosing them.
Old May 2, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
AA / Delta

I fly out of Boston and Providence. Since signing up for the Platinum card and doing the Delta transfer got me FO ( Silver ) status until 2/13 I chose AA as my $200 per year Platinum figuring I fly each a few times per year and already get free baggage with Delta.

Thanks Flyertalk
Old May 2, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Spiffster
up to you. definitely if it's not on the next statement you get in the mail.

my credits have posted online with a varying number of days but they've always been on the same monthly statement as the charges.
Thanks - I may wait until the current statement closes.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:50 am

How exactly do you sign up for the $200 rebate for airline fees?

I just got the card, and I can't seem to find it on the website. Do I have to call them? How does it get set up?
Old May 5, 2011, 3:53 am

http://www.americanexpress.com/PlatinumAirlineChoice
Old May 6, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
It says no reimbursement for gift cards yet people here have been reimbursed for AA GCs. So how reliable is the list of what's allowed and what isn't?
Old May 9, 2011, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
It says no reimbursement for gift cards yet people here have been reimbursed for AA GCs. So how reliable is the list of what's allowed and what isn't?
My guess is because it's a new program the details of how to implement it have not all been ironed out. As many have mentioned, reimbursements are sometimes surprising. Seems like one of the main factors is cost. A lot of things under $100 are reported being reimbursed. So make up your own list from what you see in this thread.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by mia
Changes are only permitted in December for the following calendar year:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...mAirlineChoice
My question is this. I have done this year. It seems to be calender year not credit card year the way I read it for both your airline pick and redemption. So, do we all think we can do one this year, do another in JAN 2012 and then if we do not like the card by the time the next yearly fee comes cancel and it has just cost us $50 for the card for one year?

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/PlatinumAirlineChoice. Only the Basic Card member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. It can take up to 48 hours post enrollment and airline choice for the benefit to be effective. Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until December of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for the following calendar year. Card members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees that do not qualify for statement credits are wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners (incidental transactions must be charged by the Card member’s airline choice). The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be eligible. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card members on the enrolled Card account are eligible for statement credits. Each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits, regardless of the number of Cards on the Account. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the account. Card members can call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card members are responsible for payment of all charges until the statement credit(s) posts to the account. To be eligible for this benefit, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
My question is this. I have done this year. It seems to be calender year not credit card year the way I read it for both your airline pick and redemption. So, do we all think we can do one this year, do another in JAN 2012 and then if we do not like the card by the time the next yearly fee comes cancel and it has just cost us $50 for the card for one year?
It's the way it worked when they introduced the benefit at the end of 2010. There was a $200 benefit that worked until the end of 2010 and then a new benefit that started in January. I didn't take advantage of this when it was introduced because the selection made in December 2010 was binding for 2011. Since I was fixated on using the benefit for baggage fees and I didn't know in December which airline I'd pick for the majority of my flying in 2011, I missed that the $200 could have been used for a number of other charges that we're now seeing Amex reimburse. So I left that $200 on the table.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by blase

Also, can I buy all $200 (4 x $50) at one time, or do I need to break it up into smaller purchases?
Sub-$100 charges seem to have the best rate of reimbursement.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by akcae
Sub-$100 charges seem to have the best rate of reimbursement.
+1
To be cautious, I would make two separate $100 orders. Chance of success appears to be far greater if the total amount of the charge is $100 or less.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Amex will only reimburse you for expenses from the one airline you choose for the calendar year; in other words, if you chose Delta for 2011, you won't be able to claim reimbursement for AA expenses incurred in 2011.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:22 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by akcae
...timing issue?
I think that transactions below a threshold are reimbursed by an automated process. Anecdotal evidence from this thread suggests the threshold is at, or just below, $100. Transactions which exceed that threshold seem to be manually reviewed. If the policy excludes award fees I expect you will have to fight for it, arguing that the policy is irrelevant because it wasn't disclosed in the published terms.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
Well, after 4 weeks of waiting to see if it would be reimbursed, still nothing. Whereas recent inflight charges (food and bev) were credited back within a couple of days. Looks like Amex's systems code the trial preferred charge in such a way that it won't be reimbursable. bummer.
Did you try calling AMEX to have this manually reviewed? It should count especially if gift cards are counting for this credit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.