Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:12 pm

Has anyone successfully used the benefit within a day of enrolling? The terms and conditions say something about taking up to 48 hours to be effective...should I be waiting for an email?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:33 am

Mine worked for transactions the same day as I selected my airline. ^
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
just want to make sure i'm reading into this correctly...

for charges <$100 the credit is issued automatically, and for over that its a manual process?

I think i'm reading this wrong but just want to clarify, could I purchase a ticket with my selected airline and get $200 of the ticket price refunded?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:42 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ianturner
could I purchase a ticket with my selected airline and get $200 of the ticket price refunded?
No the transaction needs to appear to be something other than a ticket. If the amount is small, under $100, it appears that American Express assumes it cannot be a ticket, but if larger they evaluate it using rules that are not part of the published terms.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
Just got of the line and the fee for the trial preferred will be reimbursed. Apparently the problem was that even though this is an airline fee, US assigned a ticket number to it which is what caused it not to automatically get reimbursed. However, after a relatively short hold with AMEX Platinum C/S I was told I would be reimbursed the remaining balance I had available. Since it's a manual reimbursement I was told it would take 2-4 weeks to actually hit my account, but he did confirm that it would absolutely be reimbursed.

Just another FYI, US Trial Preferred has an additional $15 federal fee so the total cost is $215 of which only $200 will be reimbursed, but still a good deal.

Thanks SkyTeam777 for pushing me to make the call. Amex as always was pleasant to deal with and I wound up getting more money put back in my pocket.
Did your reimbursement ever come through? They promised mine would, and it did not. So I called AMEX back, and they have opened a case to review it. Let's hope they follow through on their word and reimburse it this time. They said it would take 6-8 weeks!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:18 am

I chose/purchased premium seats on a couple of recent flights on the airline of my choice and was credited within a couple of days.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
so what i'm learning from this thread is that since im a plat on DL and get free bags, free SDC, and free award redeposits, i should select another airline for the card choice and go the gift card option?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:51 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
...on the airline of my choice...
It would be helpful if everyone would mention the name of the airline to enable those who use Search This Thread function to find the answer to their question.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by Dreps
I'm in the same boat (plane?) as a DL plat. When I recently looked to see if I could purchase DL gift certificates since that seems a popular use in this thread, the DL Web site indicated that the certificates had to be bought at ticket offices (I assume that includes airports) of which there are practically none and that they could not be used online.
I don't remember seeing a positive confirmation of this working. And it looked like a pain which is why so few have tried, if any. I could have missed it though.

I'm not exactly sure what the previous poster (msp2msy) recommended in terms of eCerts. I infer that this is if you are using one but the fare in question exceeds its value? Again, that would not be relevant for me.
Ok, let me be a bit clearer. There are three trends which I think come into play here (info gleaned from the charge details on americanexpress.com)
1) I believe there are posters in this thread that were fully reimbursed for their entire ticket when it was less than $100. Presumably, it posted with a ticket number, etc. I can't vouch for this as I've not done it.
2) Tickets that are paid for by an eCert (and possibly other means - see below), will have any excess charged as a document type of "Additional Collection" with a ticket number.
3) The $5-10 in fees for domestic award tickets are consistently reimbursed and are coded as "additional collection" with a ticket number.

I happen to have eCerts around. There are ways to get eCerts, among them is selecting a $200 eCert as your Choice Benefit... or trading... or bumps... or at least one other way which you'll find if you dig around FT's milesbuzz forum.

As a DL Plat, I don't believe you are charged telephone booking fees. I have an untested theory that you could book that way and split the charge, with the bulk being on one card and a < $100 charge being on the Amex Plat. I believe this would be reimbursed based on the observation that complete tickets were reimbursed that were less than $100. Even more generally, I'd guess any way you could split the charge would work... Perhaps applying value from an existing refundable ticket to a new ticket? Or a gift certificate?

Any other ideas?
Last winter there was a sale on Sky Club passes that was a bit less than the secondary market for them. Worked for me. Keep an eye out.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
Yes They will
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:40 pm

which one? both?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- seat assignment fees ok

~ seat assignment annual membership = ? (only offered by UA ?)
~ ticket upgrades not ok (but this is not referring to the cheap paid upgrades ?)
~ retroactive not ok (YMMV ?)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA-Platinum , Marriott- Lifetime Gold
I was reimbursed for the purchase of Elite maximizer with CO.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:54 pm

Don't do it

Well I'm your guinea pig......I did just that and Amex refunded the $4.95 fee and not the $200! As soon as I made the purchase, it occured to me that I'd blown it by not ordering them separately. I was planning to get on this thread and ask people how, if there is a way, to fix this. Should I send an email to Amex?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by sgmidf
Well I'm your guinea pig......I did just that and Amex refunded the $4.95 fee and not the $200! As soon as I made the purchase, it occured to me that I'd blown it by not ordering them separately. I was planning to get on this thread and ask people how, if there is a way, to fix this. Should I send an email to Amex?
How does the $200 plastic card purchase show up on your amex statement? Does it list as ticketing or misc or what? It seems like it can be anything if the dollar amount is less than $100, but if more, then it matters what it says. I think giftcards are on the official list of things that are not to be reimbursed but they usually are if they are a charge from your airline of choice that is less than $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.