Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:54 am

Not yet. Charge posted with a date of 7/21/11. As of today, 7/25/11, no reimbursement.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
I am not sure if this was mentioned. Ordered 2 CO gift cards, $99 each, in 2 separate transactions. Got refunded automatically in 2 days. Thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
just want to be sure this will work. I've got an award ticket on hold at DL to book, showing 63 bucks in taxes....i should get that 63 charge refunded by the automatic sweep program right?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
Just got of the line and the fee for the trial preferred will be reimbursed. Apparently the problem was that even though this is an airline fee, US assigned a ticket number to it which is what caused it not to automatically get reimbursed. However, after a relatively short hold with AMEX Platinum C/S I was told I would be reimbursed the remaining balance I had available. Since it's a manual reimbursement I was told it would take 2-4 weeks to actually hit my account, but he did confirm that it would absolutely be reimbursed.

Just another FYI, US Trial Preferred has an additional $15 federal fee so the total cost is $215 of which only $200 will be reimbursed, but still a good deal.
I didn't have such luck. I also purchased the US trial preferred for $215 (inc taxes) and didn't get a credit. I waited several weeks and just got done calling. The rep told me it was not eligible. She said it has to be an incidental charge connected to a flight. If it was an upgrade to a flight, they would have done the reimbursement.

When I was first talking to her, she thought that is what it was for and I carefully explained to her that it was a status upgrade, not a seat upgrade.

Just goes to show, it often depends on what rep you get. Whether your rep was clueless or mine, we both got different results.

Oh a brighter note, I flew two roundtrip transcon flights and got upgraded to F on 3 of the 4 flights, so it was well worth the $215.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by weave
I didn't have such luck. I also purchased the US trial preferred for $215 (inc taxes) and didn't get a credit. I waited several weeks and just got done calling. The rep told me it was not eligible. She said it has to be an incidental charge connected to a flight. If it was an upgrade to a flight, they would have done the reimbursement.
This is not correct per the published terms and conditions of the program. If you push them on this - consistently pointing to the PUBLIC, PUBLISHED terms and conditions, you can and will get your refund.

I did (for a different set of charges)... after three initial denials. Enough escalation and continual quoting of the PUBLISHED terms and conditions (hidden conditions CANNOT be contractually agreed to) worked.

If you fight for it you'll get it. It's up to you whether the fight is worth it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:49 pm

Hello all,

I've just been approved for an AMEX Platinum card and I'm curious about one aspect of the $200 airline credit. In the terms and conditions, it indicates that this credit is issued by calendar year. Does this mean I'm able to get $200 back before the end of 2011 and another $200 in early 2012?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by grlmopz
Hello all,

I've just been approved for an AMEX Platinum card and I'm curious about one aspect of the $200 airline credit. In the terms and conditions, it indicates that this credit is issued by calendar year. Does this mean I'm able to get $200 back before the end of 2011 and another $200 in early 2012?

Thanks.
Yes. Some people signed up at the end of 2010, got the $200 credit in the last month, then got more in January of 2011.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by yngdiego
Indeed it does....but indiansfan07 hasn't reported yet that they took back the credit.
The credit from the returned fees is still on my recent activity, lowering my total outstanding balance. I don't know if AMEX will take back the credit. I don't think they will take back the remaining $150 credit I have - why would they? I had a change of plans and had to cancel my reward ticket, this shouldn't necessitate revoking the $200 credit benefit. I also don't think they would add $50 back to my $200 airline credit, as this would result in a blatant opportunity to cheat the system: $50 of reward fees charged every month (or more), then receiving a $50 credit from the $200 fund, and simply redepositing the reward after the statement closes to credit the account $50. Do this every month for 12 months and you'll have gotten $600 in free statement credits. I don't think this happens, either amex allows the crediting of the $50 into the account, or they don't and add $50 back to the $200 fund, we can't have it both ways.

But to answer the question - I don't think my benefit has been taken away since I reversed the charge. I think if this turned into a pattern they might notice and question it / threaten to take it away, but as it stands a 1 time reversal of a reward ticket shouldn't be grounds for suspicion.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Charges for the gift cards posted 2 weeks ago, balance still sitting there at $200 without any credits.

secure message = "what type of charge is that so that I can confirm whether they're eligible or not"

looks like I Got a Rock.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
US Air trial preferred program Silver

Looks like hit or miss from reading previous posts. Just purchased silver upgrade will see what happens. Tried to see if csr would accept 2 transactions in order to split the amount, however told could not. 215 with tax.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:02 pm

I'm not sure what to do with my $200 credit. I pay for virtually all my air travel (almost always business/first) using MR points so I have no standing with any airline (I never check bags). I've seen people mention using the $200 to pay for lounge passes but I usually travel solo and platinum members have the priority pass select program. I have an upcoming business class trip JFK-SAN on continental/US Air (using up the last of my one pass miles) and I get to use the United Red Carpet Club before they stop accepting the card.

So aside from gift cards (a last resort) is there anything else I can use the $200 on?

Been lurking for a while but figured I may as well ask. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:03 pm

$200 Airline Credit to Buy Miles?

Can the $200 AmEx Platinum Airline Credit be used to purchase miles on US Air? They are my selected airline?

Thanks!

-Sam
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
People have reported buying airline gift cards with it. But you have to buy it at the counter the same days as your flight.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:19 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

cirrussk's question has been merged into the primary strategy thread. Most airlines outsource miles purchase, gift and transfer functions to, and the credit card transaction will be submitted by points.com rather than the airline.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:51 pm

Is there a link to set the designated deadline, or do you need to call in? Also, I read somewhere it's changeable, but does it work retroactively (ie if I was charge $150 on AA, and change to AA)? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.