Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:22 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I need a list of the airlines which American Express allows you to choose from. Any idea where I can find this list?
Click here to see post 144 in the predecessor thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15357406-post144.html
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:04 am

Does this count towards the spend requirement?...I'm about $300 away from my spend requirement and purchased 1 AA GC so far (will get 3 more shortly) but I wanted to know if this would count...thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Omni Plat, Southwest A+ Pref
Originally Posted by Old Key West
FYI, I bought a $75 dollar SW gift card end of July and it did the same thing; sat in pending for about a week then disappeared. However, it did reappear a couple weeks(ish) later as a confirmed charge. I did get a $75 reversal at the same time.

So mid August, I did another $75 and a $50. Same thing, sat in pending then disappeared. Except this time, when it did reappear in confirmed charges, I did NOT get the reversal. Looks exactly like the reversed charge, except these didn't get reversed.

The takeaway is these charges are not gone or lost...just in limbo for around 10-14 days. And apparently YMMV (even my mileage varied) when it comes to getting the reversal.
Just to circle back and finish the above story, I did finally get the charge reversal on the $75 and $50 a week after they posted (without phone call or message to AMEX). So really there doesn't seem to be any concrete process or timeline used by AMEX.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
So did you get credit? I'm looking to use up the rest of my $200 benefit for the miles transfer from my wife's account.
Not yet. I bought the miles on 8/27, and the charge posted on 8/28. Four days later, both charges are still there ($225 for the miles, $10 award booking fee). Judging from the prior posts, it seems like it could take a couple of weeks for this to fall off, so I'll probably wait until mid-September before looking into it further. Ideally this would resolve before my bill is due so I don't have to pay this at all (as opposed to paying and getting a credit later in the year).
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Plat. Card Overlooked..DOH!

I cant believe it took me this long to figure out this is indeed a great deal! I shouldve applied for this Platinum Card before ( I have the Premier Gold Rewards Card & got the bump up to 75K)

I fly Alaska all the time PDX-LAS and im encouraged to hear I can drop the $200 credit on gift cards.....and if Im reading these posts correctly, I should apply for this card in Late November...(2011) and get the card hopefully by December (2011) and buy my $200 worth of Alaska E-Certs, and then also get another $200 worth in Jan 2012??...That is assuming the deal will still be alive...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:41 pm

Why wait till November? If you apply now, you will still have $200 for 2011 and $200 for 2012.

I bought Alaska Airlines E certification. First time was $50 GC. After being reimbursed next day, I had two seperate orders for $100 and $50 and both were reimbursed next day.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA, US, DL, AMEX Plat, AMEX Centurion, SPG Gold
though a ticket may be purchased on another card (i.e. visa), will amex plat reimburse eligible fees that are charged to one's amex? anyone have experience with this?

also, what's the calendar year for one's airline choice -- i was told nov 1 - october 31 by an amex rep, but this sounds questionable

thanks.

Originally Posted by spider_man
My logic is to use my personal Plat that I pay the annual fee for and use it to pay for my baggage fee on my business trip. My company will reimburse me for the baggage fee. So the $200.00 airline credit + $200.00 of reimbursed baggage fees = $400.00. So I feel like it really only cost me $50.00 to have the Plat card.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 11:31 pm

have to use AMEX Platinum to purchase to have reimbursement. It is $200 airline credit per calendar year from jan 1 to Dec 31
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by metoo
have to use AMEX Platinum to purchase to have reimbursement. It is $200 airline credit per calendar year from jan 1 to Dec 31
thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I've had $199.47 reimbursed to me--guess I'll let the $.53 slip
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by nirlep
thanks!
The AmEx plat has to be used for the purchase you want reimbursed. However, you don't have to book the ticket with it. I've got a DL ticket booked using a Chase Visa for which my Economy Comfort seat charge to the AmEx Plat got the credit.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The AmEx plat has to be used for the purchase you want reimbursed. However, you don't have to book the ticket with it. I've got a DL ticket booked using a Chase Visa for which my Economy Comfort seat charge to the AmEx Plat got the credit.
thanks, you're very right - got this info confirmed by amex, too.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 9:03 pm

Huh. So, by way of update, I got reimbursed for the $10 award booking fee, but not the $225 miles purchase! Both charges posted on 8/28 and the reimbursement on the fee came through on 9/1. I'm considering calling them to see if they'll reimburse ($190 of) the other charge as well...

I did notice, though, that the award fee posts as "Additional Collection" whereas the miles post as "Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase". I wonder if that makes a difference? (I'll be annoyed if the miles don't reimburse, because that means I would have paid ~$235 for my award ticket, not much cheaper than the ~$300 it was regularly)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:47 pm

I originally picked Delta, but after reading this thread, I called up Amex and asked to change my airline. They said since I hadn't had any charges reimbursed yet, they could do it. In fact, if no charges have been reimbursed for the current fiscal year, you can hold off until 24 hours before you fly, call up Amex, make your selection and you're covered. Going to wait until tomorrow to buy my AA tickets

Originally Posted by Delta2010
I got my Plat card earlier this week and selected Delta airlines as my airlines of choice for $200 credit, primarily because Delta is my prefered carrier. I read this entire thread last night to see how people are redeeming this $200 credit. I summarized here short bullet points about how ppl were successful receiving credit through Delta. If there are any more, please update the list as it will help everyone -

1. Domestic Award fee of $10
2. Tax on International award ticket
3. cost of ticket price as long as net amount paid by AMEX plat is <$100 (rest may be paid through ecrdit or vouchers)
4. In aircraft food and entertainment (meals, drinks, headsets etc but no GoGO)
5. Baggage fee
6. Award ticket change fee ($150)

My bags are free as I am a FO. I rarely change the reservation. I know I will be booking atleast three domestic award tickets this year so that's $30. Add another $50 for meals/drinks on these flights. That's still just $80. There gotta be some more ways .
Idea/Question - I have some DL evouchers. If I book a one-way fully refundable ticket 2-3 months out, use vouchers to bring net cost down <$100. charge it to Plat AMEX and cancel once I receive the credit from AMEX? I know its not ethical but will it fly? Will I get my vouchers/amount of ticket back once I cancel?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Henry82
Doesn't look promising... miles purchases are being categorized as "Document Type : FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE", which the system doesn't seem to pick up as an "incidental expense".
See data point here: Post 447.
Thanks, that's a shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.