Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
When I booked an award ticket last spring, I found that award ticket fees were not covered. However, it seems like over-the-phone ticketing fees ARE covered. I am booking a couple more award tix, and will probably have to do it on the phone. Does anyone know if these are reimbursed?

Reading the thread, I'm getting the feeling that almost anything gets reimbursed if it's small enough.

Anybody know?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Has anyone been able to book a hotel through an airline's website and get credit back? I.e. UA/CO?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
As noted in earlier posts, I booked an award ticket last summer and Amex told me the award fees were not eligible for reimbursement. However, last week I booked another award ticket and within a couple of days I DID get reimbursed for the max amount I had remaining on my $200 annual allowance.

Go figure.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Flyer IAH
Good deal, did you purchase online? I purchased one for $75 on October 22 and no reimbursement yet... I am losing hope. If it does not get reimbursed I am cancelling the card; I hardly ever incur fees with CO/UA.
I purchased online both times, so I'm 1-for-2. I'm going to try again today and will post result.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tchen811
I don't think you can change the airline before the year is up.
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they were able to call Amex and have their changed since they did not use any of the $200 yet for the year.

Technically you are not allowed to change, but it appears they have allowed it if you have not received any refund yet.

I bought another one way ticket on US Airways today for $89. I will give it a few days - maybe I will get lucky and that one will get reimbursed.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
If you havent used your credit, you can call and have it changed despite what others say. I have called and done this twice, most recently changing it to AA. 30 minutes after I had it switched to AA, I purchased 4 gift cards which were all credited back
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cypriote
You should read post #609, or at least the first line.
Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Stupid question, but does this benefit reset at the end of the calendar year?

i.e. If I upgrade my PR Gold card to Plat this year, can I essentially double dip in my first membership year by using the $200 credit once prior to 12/31/2011 and once after 1/1/2012?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Stupid question, but does this benefit reset at the end of the calendar year?

i.e. If I upgrade my PR Gold card to Plat this year, can I essentially double dip in my first membership year by using the $200 credit once prior to 12/31/2011 and once after 1/1/2012?
Yes. That's what people did when the benefit was announced at the end of last year.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: Skymiles - FO
Originally Posted by r.brown
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they were able to call Amex and have their changed since they did not use any of the $200 yet for the year.

Technically you are not allowed to change, but it appears they have allowed it if you have not received any refund yet.
I just called Amex. I was NOT allowed to change, despite not having used any of the $200.00. I'm gold on Delta, and stuck with them. There seems to be next to nothing I can use this for.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:48 am

So what's the consensus on CO? 66% chance of getting reimbursed?

I am considering upgrading to Plat to double up on the $200 bonus, but I won't have any incidental charges in the next six weeks.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RedSnapper
I just called Amex. I was NOT allowed to change, despite not having used any of the $200.00. I'm gold on Delta, and stuck with them. There seems to be next to nothing I can use this for.
Call again and try another customer service rep.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by skimple
So what's the consensus on CO? 66% chance of getting reimbursed?

I am considering upgrading to Plat to double up on the $200 bonus, but I won't have any incidental charges in the next six weeks.
Even if you have n oincidental charges planned you can buy & eBay gift cards to recover a lot of the cost of the Plat...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
Even if you have n oincidental charges planned you can buy & eBay gift cards to recover a lot of the cost of the Plat...
How does this work?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:07 pm

So I have not used my $200 credit yet. But I could use it to purchase miles and the elite maximizer on a CO flight, would I be re-imbursed $200 if I buy the $250 maximizer I am offered on a booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.