Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: US Airways only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select US as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:38 am
Original Poster

I selected USAir and received credit on one ticket in 2010 and 2 this year. All were inexpensive one way flights but somehow either the coding or price caused the system to credit me.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Emerald Exec, DL Gold Medallion
Sounds like a lucky break! Is US AIR your primary airline? I'm really looking to find whether I should register with my primary airline (DL) or another that I might use if it makes more sense.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I have been reimbursed for USAir inexpensive plane tickets (65, $135, etc.) that showed up as: Category: Travel - Airline

So its not clear if it is the category or the dollar amount that triggers the reimbursement.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: US only

Has anyone tried to use this credit to purchase US Airways Trial Preferred (link below)? Rather than just paying for the baggage fees on every US flight over the next 3 months, I'd rather get the Trial Preferred and get 2 bags free for myself and anyone on my reservation as well as potentially getting upgraded, having priority check-in and seating available, and all the other benefits that come with preferred status. Delta is typically my primary carrier, but since I travel for business all of my expenses usually get covered and I'm already at an elite status that allows for free bags and other benefits. Any thoughts?

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html
Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
Has anyone tried to use this credit to purchase US Airways Trial Preferred
Oooooooo....... ^

Great idea! Bonus, I only fly casual but I should be able to get in enough flying this Summer to keep it through 2/2012, but that means I have to time my sign-up just right, which will mean end of May.

Hopefully someone tries it before then!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:45 am

US Airways Trial Preferred Guinea Pig

I decided to see if purchasing the US Airways Trial Preferred would get reimbursed. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Either way, I figure I would be charging baggage fees while flying over the next few months so if this doesn't work at least I won't be charged baggage fees and I'll still have the $200 to figure out another use for it. Just so everyone knows, there is a 7.5% federal tax on the Trial Preferred purchase. So for silver, the total cost was $215. Below is how Amex processed the transaction. Odd that it has a ticket number, but maybe everything they charge does. I don't know...

TKT# 037xxxxxxxxxx
US AIRWAYS
Ticket Number : 037xxxxxxxxxx Date of Departure : 0423
Passenger Name : 5thofJuly
Document Type : FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE
Doing Business As: US AIRWAYS DIRECT SALES
Merchant Address: 4000 E SKY HARBOR BLVD
PHOENIX
AZ
UNITED STATES
Reference Number: 320xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dispute/Inquire about this charge
Category: Travel - Airline
Old May 3, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone tried buying US miles with this offer during the current 50% bonus promo offer going on right now? Might be a nice way to top off one's account a bit for free! Can you purchase miles using your card for someone else? or do the names on the account the miles are going to have to match the name on your Amex CC?
Old May 6, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Thumbs down

Have seen people here who had to argue for their credit. Heaven forbid they actually honor what they offer without us having to demand it.

I purchased the US club membership. 4 weeks later, still no credit. I sent a secure message asking for the credit to my account specifically for the purchase of a US Club membership. Here's the response:

"I understand your concern.

I would like to inform you that the $200.00 Airline Fee Credit benefit is applicable for the following charges only:

Checked baggage fees
Overweight/oversize baggage fees
Change fees
Phone reservation fees
Pet flight fees
Airport lounge day passes and annual memberships
Seat assignment fees
In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, etc)
In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet)

This credit is not applicable for the following charges:

Airline tickets
Charges processed by merchants other than the airline the Cardmember is enrolled in (for example, inflight Internet services providers such as GoGo)
Charges made by airline partners (for example, Cardmember purchase ticket on enrolled airline Delta, but purchases food on an Air France flight)
Trip insurance / baggage insurance
Ticket upgrades (Including American Airlines Upgrade Stickers)
Travel agent fees
Point transfer fees
Duty free purchase
Award ticket fees
Gift cards issued by Airlines

I hope you find this information useful."
Old May 9, 2011, 12:01 pm

I received a credit for a $98 flight on USAirways last month. Unexpected, but in a good way!
Old May 12, 2011, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I just bought Silver Preferred trial status with US Airways, which is my designated program. The total cost was $215. Does this mean that I will get the partial refund or absolutely nothing since it is over the $200 limit?
Old May 17, 2011, 11:07 am

US Airways Trial Preferred doesn't work

Well, after 4 weeks of waiting to see if it would be reimbursed, still nothing. Whereas recent inflight charges (food and bev) were credited back within a couple of days. Looks like Amex's systems code the trial preferred charge in such a way that it won't be reimbursable. bummer.

Originally Posted by 5thofjuly
I decided to see if purchasing the US Airways Trial Preferred would get reimbursed. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Either way, I figure I would be charging baggage fees while flying over the next few months so if this doesn't work at least I won't be charged baggage fees and I'll still have the $200 to figure out another use for it. Just so everyone knows, there is a 7.5% federal tax on the Trial Preferred purchase. So for silver, the total cost was $215. Below is how Amex processed the transaction. Odd that it has a ticket number, but maybe everything they charge does. I don't know...

TKT# 037xxxxxxxxxx
US AIRWAYS
Ticket Number : 037xxxxxxxxxx Date of Departure : 0423
Passenger Name : 5thofJuly
Document Type : FREQUENT FLYER FEE/PURCHASE
Doing Business As: US AIRWAYS DIRECT SALES
Merchant Address: 4000 E SKY HARBOR BLVD
PHOENIX
AZ
UNITED STATES
Reference Number: 320xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dispute/Inquire about this charge
Category: Travel - Airline
Old May 19, 2011, 9:49 am

US Airways Trial Preferred Reimbursed!

Just got of the line and the fee for the trial preferred will be reimbursed. Apparently the problem was that even though this is an airline fee, US assigned a ticket number to it which is what caused it not to automatically get reimbursed. However, after a relatively short hold with AMEX Platinum C/S I was told I would be reimbursed the remaining balance I had available. Since it's a manual reimbursement I was told it would take 2-4 weeks to actually hit my account, but he did confirm that it would absolutely be reimbursed.

Just another FYI, US Trial Preferred has an additional $15 federal fee so the total cost is $215 of which only $200 will be reimbursed, but still a good deal.

Thanks SkyTeam777 for pushing me to make the call. Amex as always was pleasant to deal with and I wound up getting more money put back in my pocket.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Did you try calling AMEX to have this manually reviewed? It should count especially if gift cards are counting for this credit!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:00 am

US Airways Gift Certificates?

Has anyone tried to buy US Airways gift certificates or gift cards and been reimbursed?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:01 am

Has anyone had any luck purchasing a Trial up from US airways and getting the credit?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sangria
... Trial up from US airways...
If you try the Search this Thread function with the keywords: trial airways you will find at least one report of a failure (read both posts):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s#post16414382

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s#post16401912

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.