Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Henry82
Glad to help!

sbjnyc, please keep us updated on this, very curious to know if the fees to buy miles gets reimbursed under this AMEX credit. If it does, then there's hope that the transfer fee may qualify too!
Waiting also to see if the credit comes through
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by metoo
I was told wait 48 hours.
I was told 48 hrs as well, I was just wondering if that's the actual time frame or if they just say that to cover themselves.

Anyway, no big deal, because I forgot to buy the miles anyway! So I may as well wait the 48 hrs and do it then.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mspreh
For most people the primary airline.

If you think about it, it's not easy to spend $200 on 1 roundtrip, maybe you can on 2 with bag fees, but for me it would take at least 3 or 4 rt flights.

So if you register for one that you might only use a small portion, your giving up the rest of the credit.
One ski trip will wipe that out.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:35 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Merged NavyUCF's question into the existing discussion. Scroll back to about post 214:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16379916

...but the outcome may depend on the amount of the fee. How much Per person does Economy Comfort cost MIA-LHR?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Because it's a $200 credit per calendar year, isn't this basically a $400 credit during the first full year of card ownership?

You sign up for Platinum card in September, get bonus miles, pay the $450 fee, then promptly buy $200 in AA gift cards, then after January you buy $200 more, then you cancel the card before the next annual fee.

$200 per calendar year is pretty valuable because you can use the $200 credit twice before the annual fee renews, unless I'm missing something.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:43 pm

The all together $400 airline credit would only work for the lst year you own the card. For example, I received mine in August. Used $200 recently, will have a $200 for Jan 2012 through Dec 2012 even though renewal date will be August.

Just like the Global Travel Entry benefit. You get reimbursed the $100 for application but you only need the Global Entry every 5 years.

I would keep the card for the Priority Pass Select for the 600 airport lounges around the world
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Would buying EQMs be considered an airline "fee"? And if so, wll AMEX Platinum pay?

I just posted this question in the CO forum, then realized it might be better here.

I know we can be reimbursed up to $200 for gift cards, one-day lounge passes, baggage fees, etc, but what about this: CO now allows fliers to buy extra miles after they have booked a flight (also one can purchase EQMs). This is a separate purchase from the ticket itself, so more like a "fee" one pays to get an extra service or perk.

If I charged this extra mile fee to my AMEX Platinum card, do you think it would be reimbursable? Would it be better to do one that is LESS than $200 (say, around $160? Or one that costs $400--and ask Platinum to reimburse only half?

Of course I realize this is only possible, if at all, until end of September, when the special relationship between CO and AMEX ends.

Would appreciate any advice from you experienced AMEX Plat holders and CO flyers!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:41 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by woolfcross
...only possible, if at all, until end of September, when the special relationship between CO and AMEX ends...
Not so. You can designate CO/UA as your carrier for the airline fee reimbursement benefit without regard to any relationship between the airline and American Express.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:40 am

You can designate CO/UA as your carrier for the airline fee reimbursement benefit without regard to any relationship between the airline and American Express.

Thanks for the clarification, Mia. I appreciate it! Now the question remains: does buying elite miles qualify for the airline fee reimbursement? Do you--or anyone else--know that answer to that one?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by woolfcross
Thanks for the clarification, Mia. I appreciate it! Now the question remains: does buying elite miles qualify for the airline fee reimbursement? Do you--or anyone else--know that answer to that one?
don't know specifically, but generally speaking, airline charges under $100 are usually automatically reimbursed, so you can try it and let us know.

-David
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
More than a week has gone by...

... since I posted a summary of successful reimbursements data points in this thread. Please see the update on Post #382.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:31 am

Thanks for the replies!

David: as the EQMs I want to buy are all over $200, I don't think I'm gonna chance it, so won't be able to report.

Henry 82: thanks for re-posting this very helpful post! One last question: should I assume that we're buying these gift certificates in our own names? (if not, who are you "gifting" to?)

Soon as I hear back, I'll go off to purchase CO gift certs--and will report back, I promise!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:40 pm

Has anyone tried to purchase something from skymall on the airplanes with small amount like 50-100? and got reimbursed?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by longmanzz
Has anyone tried to purchase something from skymall on the airplanes with small amount like 50-100? and got reimbursed?
I've always been charged by the Skymall merchant (not the airline I was flying at the time) when placing order, so that wouldn't work, unfortunately.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:50 pm

I need a list of the airlines which American Express allows you to choose from. Any idea where I can find this list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.