FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]
Old May 15, 2011, 2:39 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
My question is this. I have done this year. It seems to be calender year not credit card year the way I read it for both your airline pick and redemption. So, do we all think we can do one this year, do another in JAN 2012 and then if we do not like the card by the time the next yearly fee comes cancel and it has just cost us $50 for the card for one year?
It's the way it worked when they introduced the benefit at the end of 2010. There was a $200 benefit that worked until the end of 2010 and then a new benefit that started in January. I didn't take advantage of this when it was introduced because the selection made in December 2010 was binding for 2011. Since I was fixated on using the benefit for baggage fees and I didn't know in December which airline I'd pick for the majority of my flying in 2011, I missed that the $200 could have been used for a number of other charges that we're now seeing Amex reimburse. So I left that $200 on the table.