Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page Emerald Privileges

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
Youll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by monkeys
I don't expect to fly that much in 2024.
IMO you answered your own question. The additional benefits of EP over PP are relevant only when you're flying: higher upgrade priority, higher boarding priority, higher call center priority, more miles and LPs from airfare spend, and a free snack if you're in the main cabin. That's really it.

However, I would agree that it's worth making the effort to get up to the 175K reward level.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Now that every level gets upgrades on award tickets I am quite happy staying with plat pro personally.
apeortdz and FlyFreakquently like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Everyone values status differently, but manufacturing a significant number of LPs for EP given anticipated light travel doesnt seem worth it. PPRO is the sweet spot of the program with OWE etc. Definitely hit the 175k level though as you've made it this far!

And, as Pinned noted, upgrades (and placement on the standby list) compete with those with higher LPs so there isnt much of an incremental benefit over PPRO. Being 9 of 30 on the upgrade list is the same as 12 of 30 when theres only one seat left.

My personal experience is that you need to have a significant number of rolling LPs (450k plus) to consistently be towards the top or have upgrades clear (provided there is space).
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Personally, I think stretching for PPRO (OWE) is worth it but EXP is marginal. I'm motivated by lounge access more than upgrades these days. For better class, I'm in the buy it or use mileage upgrades camp rather than rolling the dice on complimentary upgrades as the odds on those are dropping fast.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I agree with pretty much everything above. With the comment that if you get to 175k LPs the move to 200k should "cost" no more than a few hundred $. I am trying to land the plane at 200,001 this year
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
I’ve been EXP this year for the first time since 2016. Back then EXP was really worth it… I almost always got upgraded. This year, I was almost hardly ever upgraded. Over the past year I’ve actually flown MORE but have had much less spend on my CC (we moved last year).. because of that I’m gonna end up about 40,000 LPS short( which I find hilarious). In another day and time I’d do whatever I could to get to EXP to get the SWUs… but aside from a really lucky upgrade on HNL-OGG I’ve never been able to use them. In short… IMO unless you’re really close, EXP isn’t really worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:14 am

This year I made EXP again, for about the 11th or 12th year running (including being Chairmans Preferred on LUS before the merger), but only because of a paid J trip to Asia on JL netting me ~50k LPs and a couple of paid J trips to Europe. I hit 250k LPs a few weeks ago because of CC spend. But as of tomorrow, a paid Y trip to LHR, I am crediting all flying to BAEC until March 1. Then my goal from March 2024 on is to simply hit Plat Pro to keep OWE and lounge access. (Unless I think BAEC Gold is possible, if which case I may credit all my flying to BAEC.)

Upgrades are harder to come by, so why not chase BAEC Gold? I can buy upgrades as needed. My Barclays Silver has a $25 credit for on board purchases so no longer need to rely on being EXP to get a snack and a drink in Y. FYI, besides upgrades, my primary reason for using AAdvantage was the availability of partner awards on JL and CX. Now Im using my own AsiaMiles account for CX awards (transferring points from AMEX). Im still getting some value out of AAdvantage in finding JL award travel. But it seems like a good time to try to diversify - drop down to Plat Pro perhaps and also chase some status with BAEC? Thoughts?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
This year I made EXP again, for about the 11th or 12th year running (including being Chairmans Preferred on LUS before the merger), but only because of a paid J trip to Asia on JL netting me ~50k LPs and a couple of paid J trips to Europe. I hit 250k LPs a few weeks ago because of CC spend. But as of tomorrow, a paid Y trip to LHR, I am crediting all flying to BAEC until March 1. Then my goal from March 2024 on is to simply hit Plat Pro to keep OWE and lounge access. (Unless I think BAEC Gold is possible, if which case I may credit all my flying to BAEC.)

Upgrades are harder to come by, so why not chase BAEC Gold? I can buy upgrades as needed. My Barclays Silver has a $25 credit for on board purchases so no longer need to rely on being EXP to get a snack and a drink in Y. FYI, besides upgrades, my primary reason for using AAdvantage was the availability of partner awards on JL and CX. Now Im using my own AsiaMiles account for CX awards (transferring points from AMEX). Im still getting some value out of AAdvantage in finding JL award travel. But it seems like a good time to try to diversify - drop down to Plat Pro perhaps and also chase some status with BAEC? Thoughts?
I think thats a great strategy. Im in a somewhat similar boat. At 115k LPs so far and will see where I end up with about 2 weeks to go in the cycle. If Im somewhat close to 175k, Ill book a hotel stay or two to hit this mark, but I dont see much value in pursuing EXP and like you, plan on chasing BA status. Ill be able to use the money I save not going for EXP to achieve BA Silver rather easily, which will not only grant me access to Flagship Lounges (huge, as LAX is a home airport and I pass through DFW quite frequently), but it will also allow me to drop the Exec Mastercard and save $595.
CMTinPHL and spiritkat09 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Especially with LPs and a reduction of complementary upgrades due to more aggressive pricing, I think that what status to pursue has come down to ones facts and circumstances.

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
I think thats a great strategy. Im in a somewhat similar boat. At 115k LPs so far and will see where I end up with about 2 weeks to go in the cycle. If Im somewhat close to 175k, Ill book a hotel stay or two to hit this mark, but I dont see much value in pursuing EXP and like you, plan on chasing BA status. Ill be able to use the money I save not going for EXP to achieve BA Silver rather easily, which will not only grant me access to Flagship Lounges (huge, as LAX is a home airport and I pass through DFW quite frequently), but it will also allow me to drop the Exec Mastercard and save $595.
It totally makes sense to go for BAEC Gold or Silver for the lounge access etc. as youd still get MCE at booking and can buy upgrades as needed. Depending on your flying, Id consider a TP run or booking advantageous fare classes.

Where theres downside exposure is if youre flying on AA often as EP IROPS treatment is likely much better than BA Gold or Silver (same probably applies to PPRO). Ive done the math and would likely have made GGL if crediting BEAC, but I put in 100-120 segments a year on AA (mostly domestic) and value what Ill call the EP-only benefits (e.g., backed up on the next flight out or the first flight the following morning).
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I had EXP and BA Gold for 10 years, in the pre Plat Pro era when flying is what earned status. I was traveling enough to easily get both, there was no benefit to overachieving on AA (i had CK for a couple of years during that time but it was a corporate nomination vs "earned"), and it was nice to have the lounge access on domestic flights. Given the minimal difference now between PP and EXP I think going for BA status is a fine idea. Currently I dont travel enough myself to pull it off. Plus it diversifies the mile/point earning.
catmndu and ryanbriar like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
It's been a while since EXP...still worth it?

I'm lifetime Platinum, but have not been Exec Plat in several years. I'm mostly earning my LP via spending on Citi Exec MC and about 25K away from EXP. I can pay some large bills via CC to reach it, but will incur a 3% fee. So, question: is it worth $750 to get EXP this year? My favorite feature on EXP was ability to refund award tickets without penalty, but that seems available to everyone these days....
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:44 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
I'm lifetime Platinum, but have not been Exec Plat in several years. I'm mostly earning my LP via spending on Citi Exec MC and about 25K away from EXP. I can pay some large bills via CC to reach it, but will incur a 3% fee. So, question: is it worth $750 to get EXP this year? My favorite feature on EXP was ability to refund award tickets without penalty, but that seems available to everyone these days....
Are you currently Plat Pro? - For that there's no benefit for international travel as both are OWE.

What do your travel plans look like? (How many trips, domestic or international, in a premium cabin or Y/W?).

In terms of domestic upgrades, those are pretty much gone for most unless you're a high spend EP or your travel takes you to lesser flown routes, so just clearing it will not help in a noticeable way. The SWUs/Choice benefits don't come until 250k now, so if you're not getting that there's not much else to push for.
dw likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:48 am

I definitely get better phone support, IRROPs support, etc as an EXP. And you do get better priority for upgrades, SDFC, etc than a Plat Pro would.

Like S80 mentioned, 200k doesn't mean instant upgrades given the LP based priority. You can buy a lot of upgrades now for $750...so if you're not traveling a lot I wouldn't bother spending money on CC fees to hit EXP.
dw, ysolde and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
Don't forget AA eShopping

I ignored for a while, but I was within striking distance of 250k LPs for the SWUs, so I paid $23 for a Hello Fresh subscription to get 3500 miles (4550 LPs with the 30% boost), and I paid $49 for a Motley Fool subscription ($99 - $50 amex offer) to get 3700 miles and 4810 LPs.

Even the $72 for 7200 RDMs was a good deal IMO, so the 9310 LPs were "free" -- and all posted within 3 days.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pinned
I definitely get better phone support, IRROPs support, etc as an EXP. And you do get better priority for upgrades, SDFC, etc than a Plat Pro would.

Like S80 mentioned, 200k doesn't mean instant upgrades given the LP based priority. You can buy a lot of upgrades now for $750...so if you're not traveling a lot I wouldn't bother spending money on CC fees to hit EXP.
This. For me, the benefits of EXP have been the better phone and IRROPS support. More than once, they are already making arrangements for my husband and me to get on the next available international flight in J by the time I call them, somewhat shaken up, and let them know I have received a message that the flight we were supposed to be on the next day has been canceled. We also get wonderful help form the Aangels at the Admirals Clubs: I am in a wheelchair and they call the wheelchair pushers for us to help get us to our gates on time; they help us out during IRROPS to make the best alternate arrangements; etc.
madmanshoney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.