Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:49 am
Original Poster

I am Plat and close to hitting Exec Plat (via segments) but would need to take 3 RT from DAL-AUS (about $300 total) the last week of the year to hit Exec Plat.

My question is..... is it really worth it? What do you really get as Exec. Plat over Platinum?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by miked5551
I am Plat and close to hitting Exec Plat (via segments) but would need to take 3 RT from DAL-AUS (about $300 total) the last week of the year to hit Exec Plat.

My question is..... is it really worth it? What do you really get as Exec. Plat over Platinum?
Not much.

2007 AAdvantage Executive Platinum Membership Guide

2007 AAdvantage Platinum Membership Guide
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

Is most of your flying domestic or int'l? If int'l then indeed worth it.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:01 am
Original Poster

All domestic. May take 1-2 trips to Cabo or Playa, but just about all is domestic.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:03 am
Original Poster

I know what the guides say, but what is reality?? For example, do exec plats really have that much of a better chance at upgrades vs. Plats?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I know what the guides say, but what is reality?? For example, do exec plats really have that much of a better chance at upgrades vs. Plats?
No offense, but doesn't it stand to reason that if they have earlier availability and higher priority, that they would?

Not to mention that EXPs don't need to pay for stickers.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Much, much better, in my experience. Like the difference between getting the upgrade 80% of the time (with no stickers required) and ~30% of the time as Plat (using stickers). The only flights that are hard to upgrade as EXP are some transcons (BOS to anywhere west) and some flights from DFW to NY. Otherwise, in my experience at least, the upgrade almost always comes through.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Definately, especially if flying at peak times (out Sun eve/Mon morn, back Thurs eve/Friday).
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:16 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
the benefits that i like are: 8 evips, expanded award availability ( which i have experienced and appreciated a number of times), free domestic upgrades (knock on wood i rarely fly coach anymore and in your case with all those segments this would be a big benefit) and most importantly to me the ability to deal with the exp desk when you have a problem or need something done. i can't imagine that someone wouldn't want these benefits for $300 (or think they were worth it). my advice to you is to try it this year so you can decide and my guess is you will make sure you qualify for next year.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold

How much did you spend this year in stickers? At $30-$35 a pop, if you bought more than 10 ALL year, then you would be better suited to go for EXP.

That’s just the monetary justification, there are other reasons to do it as well as this thread has pointed you towards.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:56 am

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
Please don't slam me for saying this, because I know selling eVIPs is not allowed, but . . .

The OP said it would cost him $300 to earn the EXP. But as an EXP he will get 8 eVIPs that regularly sell on eBay for at least $300 each. So from that point of view alone, it is a great investment.

But as others have pointed out, there are plenty of other reasons. The EXP desk. Guaranteed purchase on sold-out flights. Free sticker upgrades.

Do it.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
It is worth it to me as I do a bit of international travel. Also I just missed my first upgrade of the year on Friday DFW-BOS. However that was most likely caused by the bad weather on Thursday which resulted in a lot of rebookings. I guess a good way to look at it is take however many segements you flew last year on mainline routes and assume you would get upgraded and calculate the cost of stickers to upgrade all those segments minus the free stickers you get every 10,000 miles. If it's more than $300 than it is probably worth it to do your DFW-AUS flights.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP

YES YES YES. I just went from PLAT to EXP end of last month. It's a world of difference. I have gotten every upgrade and they are free. (OT: It's a strange feeling when you don't have to pay for them. Now I know why EXP FT'ers don't care about the meal or whether a meal -- when you're not paying for 500 mile upgrades, you aren't as bothered.) I'm going to enjoy my EVIP'ed Europe flights. The EXP phone line is better than I expected. I like not having to pay when booking on the phone. And during irregular ops, like last week's East Coast storms, EXP is the difference between the next flight and the next day's flight, IME.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Oh, this is such a no brainer. There is a big difference.

1) free domestic upgrades
2) eVIPs
3) EXP agents
4) general higher priority on everything

As well as AA treats Plats, they treat EXPs noticeably better in my experience.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
My question is..... is it really worth it?
Nope. Not worth it all. Don't know what I was thinking doing those 3 segment runs last year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.