Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page Emerald Privileges

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
Youll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Sep 8, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I had to pay for the first bag for on AS this summer for companions on the same booking. YMMV.

Not exactly on point but my kids attract my PreCheck status but my wife no longer does. So yes she is off to the long line .
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:46 pm

What does EP get me with rental / hotel companies?

I am both 1K (United) and EP (AA), and I hold the premium card for each that comes with lounge access for both airlines.

The 1k gets me Gold Elite status with Marriott Bon Voy and Presidents Club with Avis.

Does AA EP get me anything like that?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Under the new Loyalty Rewards tiers, I believe you earn/acquire Avis President's Club on your way to EP status. Was around the 100K LP earned in a qualifying here or thereabouts level, so technically someone on their way PlatPro would get that Avis award as well.

You could always status match the Avis Pres Club status to other rental car companies - they are all pretty interchangeable and the majors match across quite generously.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, AA partners with Hyatt. You can link your accounts and get points when you fly AA. There is currently no status though, unless you are CK (CKs get Hyatt Globalist)
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Also, AA partners with Hyatt. You can link your accounts and get points when you fly AA. There is currently no status though, unless you are CK (CKs get Hyatt Globalist)
The Globalist fast track is back again, until 30 November...
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The Globalist fast track is back again, until 30 November...
Link? Can you use it to requalify if you are already globalist? I'm a little behind on my requalifying this year...
Old Sep 30, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by jtav559
Under the new Loyalty Rewards tiers, I believe you earn/acquire Avis President's Club on your way to EP status. Was around the 100K LP earned in a qualifying here or thereabouts level, so technically someone on their way PlatPro would get that Avis award as well.

You could always status match the Avis Pres Club status to other rental car companies - they are all pretty interchangeable and the majors match across quite generously.
Yes, I believe it was at 100k. Its not a bad benefit when on business travel - I usually find Avis to be one of the most expensive rental options out there.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:04 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hi folks - this thread is about Executive Platinum benefits. Let's focus on the topic at hand vs. rental car fuel charges. Thanks. /Moderator
Telluride likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
14 years of exp and not really feeling it anymore

As my swus are all nearly expiring next week it's made it fairly clear there's not much a point in keeping or chasing status anymore. Except at the Key level where they seem to be willing to take initiative, the past few years have found more and more reasons to say no to various asks and this year in particular the application of swus from J to F has been pretty much impossible. Today at LAX despite showing a wide open flight with 4 seats, because the ticket was originally departing Europe, it could only be sold as a BA marketed flight on AA metal on 136. The ground staff at LAX actually seemed excited to tell me how impossible this was to handle 125 stock (wrong) or do anything day of departure, citing rules about no swu application at airport ever unless already on waitlist. And of course because the only way to buy this ticket was as a BA flight number computer says no waitlist possible. The last four seats in F went to non-revs at boarding so even the flight crew were sympathetic but hands tied.

Pretty much done now. If I'm paying for business and increasingly first I really don't see any point except flying by calendar timing that suits me best. Disappointed that qualifying for year 15 I only have a couple more pre-booked flights to run out then I'll give away the miles to family members and be done with it.

My final act at least is filing a Dot and Doj complaint about the transatlantic JV which seems to reduce my choices yet create more reasons to find loopholes to deny benefits. Copied Mr Isom and the Chief Legal Officer so at least that will give my lawyer friends in DC a few billable hours to deal with consumer complaints to the govt.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
FFP's are are slowly in the process of being phased out. Delta started it and get ready for others to follow. The old days are only a memory at this point.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have been EXP gong on at least 15 years.. lat year was my final qualification for EXP
This year I have stopped caring about it.. I fly when I have too (which I am trying to do less and less
when an airline cares more about how much you spend with their partners etc then BIS, its not longer a benefit to me

my perks for upgrades have been crap all year.. tying to sell me upgrades within my upgrade window.. really AA

anyway.. I am not the only one not bothered anymore... my group of EXP... (self funded travel) are taking my advice..
if flying in J/F.. just fly the cheapest airline.. you still get all the perks of flying i J/F...
Telluride likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
How many versions of the same "goodbye cruel airline" thread do we really need in this forum?

There seems to be an almost infinite capacity for saying the same thing over and over around here...

Regards
bse118, GrayAnderson and yakel like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:43 am

Guess some people have a lot of free time to moan and groan here.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I've been pleased with the domestic upgrades. Really disappointed with hold times. I can't remember a call where they answered without +10 min on hold
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donjo
I've been pleased with the domestic upgrades. Really disappointed with hold times. I can't remember a call where they answered without +10 min on hold
Really? I get through with no wait about 90% of the time, even when quoted a long wait time.
TBRIC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.