Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
It's 1:6. Look under the redeem section on BE. https://www.businessextra.com/redeem/redeem-points.htm

DATA POINT: I did a test and converted some points into miles to my personal AA account: transfer is immediate, just miles and no loyalty points
lrbenko, Antarius, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by PHL
Dang. I'll miss the BXPs.
BE Program:
$3250 spend = 650 BE points = 1 domestic upgrade chit
$15500 spend = 3100 BE points = 1 international upgrade chit

"new and improved" Advantage Business program:
$15000 spend = 15,000 redeemable points = 1 domestic upgrade with $75 additional copay
$25000 spend = 25,000 redeemable points = 1 international upgrade with $350 additional copay
Small consolation that you get 2x points if you are using an AA CitiBusiness card.

My last trip before 12/15 is Thanksgiving. The way I read it is that as long as I redeem any remaining points by 12/15, I can still use them up to their expiration a year later by calling business services desk. Am I interpreting correctly?
Thank you for the clear tabulation. Devastatingly true.

Also:
Before: $90k spend yields 18k BX points yields non-capacity-controlled Anytime round-trip business class award from US to Europe or Asia
After: $90k yields 90k AAdvantage points which yields at most a one-way. Could be worse bc often peak days are well above 90k one-way.
>50% devaluation.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Hilton & many more
Just shy of an award. Any way to get some points without making a pointless flight?
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by bedelman
Thank you for the clear tabulation. Devastatingly true.

Also:
Before: $90k spend yields 18k BX points yields non-capacity-controlled Anytime round-trip business class award from US to Europe or Asia
After: $90k yields 90k AAdvantage points which yields at most a one-way. Could be worse bc often peak days are well above 90k one-way.
>50% devaluation.
That's almost DELTA bad
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
3 Unique Travelers?

Looks like I may not be able to redeem my points for AAdvantage miles because I don't have 3 unique travelers. Is this correct? I guess I did not pay attention to the program changes if so.
And where would I enter the unique travelers?
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by card1953
Looks like I may not be able to redeem my points for AAdvantage miles because I don't have 3 unique travelers. Is this correct? I guess I did not pay attention to the program changes if so.
And where would I enter the unique travelers?
IIRC, you need 3 travelers who have used the BE number on their flights.
LovePrunes and SamirD like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bedelman
Also:
>50% devaluation.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
That's almost DELTA bad
This program is an infinite improvement for individual travelers in that it earns them something as opposed to the existing program which individual travelers have no incentive to participate in. I can say for the small business I work with that with 100 plus travelers the struggle is real to get people to participate if there is no benefit to them.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
IIRC, you need 3 travelers who have used the BE number on their flights.
You need to have 3 travelers who have registered as on the BE account/number. I don't think they have to have used it on their flights. I know for my LLC I have myself, my wife and my nephew all registered. My wife and I have flown and received BE credits, my nephew is registered but has not yet flown a flight with it (and given the changes will probably never).
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JMN57
You need to have 3 travelers who have registered as on the BE account/number. I don't think they have to have used it on their flights. I know for my LLC I have myself, my wife and my nephew all registered. My wife and I have flown and received BE credits, my nephew is registered but has not yet flown a flight with it (and given the changes will probably never).
As users? I don't have anyone but myself as the travel manager on my site, but am good with the >3 requirement.

Where do you add all the travelers?
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
As users? I don't have anyone but myself as the travel manager on my site, but am good with the >3 requirement.

Where do you add all the travelers?
Each person (FF member) enters the BE# into their profile. That said, I went to look at the account information section on the website and I don't see it anymore. I wonder that as part of the wind down they removed the ability to add BE # to an account.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:11 pm

If you have enough points for anytime awards, let’s say I book 3-4 tix for will I be able to change dates or even destinations (same region) after the shutdown, Like a normal ticket change?

Last edited by DataPlumber; Oct 17, 2023 at 7:18 pm
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: Frequent AA Flyer
First AA announces the removal of F class from international and transcon aircraft, then they shut down the Airpass program with no notice, and now this. Sure seems like they've given up on the business traveler. I know other carriers are doing similar things, but it's all a bit jarring after decades of premium, often last minute business travelers basically supporting their business model.
Parkdesigner and SamirD like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by GoBirds
First AA announces the removal of F class from international and transcon aircraft, then they shut down the Airpass program with no notice, and now this. Sure seems like they've given up on the business traveler. I know other carriers are doing similar things, but it's all a bit jarring after decades of premium, often last minute business travelers basically supporting their business model.
I don't think AA has given up on "business travelers"
Biz Extra was a program for business owners/management, not necessarily even the same people as "business travelers"
They're streamlining what tickets/classes and how they sell those tickets to save money on the distribution end, which is smart. They're replacing the 3-class narrowbody transcons with 2-class biz and coach, with sliding doors (whoopee), but joining the ranks of Delta/United for a similar domestic transcon offering, both of which eliminated their 3rd class on transcons years ago. Biz class (Delta still calls their biz class first cass), was for biz travelers, which AA still has...The equivalent of Delta One and United Polaris. All of this happens once AA takes delivery of enough XLRs to move the 321Ts off transcons. Probably well into 2025. But hardly turning their backs on "business travelers" any more than UA or DL. If anything, they're providing more biz class to biz travelers in the XLRs seats by removing the 10 first class 321T seats that did not include comp upgrades to sit there.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: Frequent AA Flyer
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I don't think AA has given up on "business travelers"
Biz Extra was a program for business owners/management, not necessarily even the same people as "business travelers"
Well, as a business owner and now former longtime Airpass member who flies regularly on AA on last minute F fare tickets, both internationally and domestically, they've definitely given up on people like me, but I take your point that perhaps I should have used a different description and not business traveler.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I will miss both transcon and international F cabins. Yes, the current F cabins are a bit long in the tooth, but even if the new Flagship suites may offer a little more privacy with the very little door, from my point of view the much smaller current F cabins are much more "intimate", often though not always with better, more attentive service, then the enormous upcoming revised business cabins will likely be. Of course you are correct that this is the direction most carriers are moving, so I don't really have any choice other than to accept it and hope for the best.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:40 am

I’m 90% sure I understand all this… Can I use a BX6D award from business extra to book an award flight before 12/15/23 with a travel date in the spring of 2024? As a side note, is that award code eligible for an upgrade as a Plat flyer? THX all.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.