Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: free agent
Just noticed on my latest AA CitiBusiness statement that beginning 04/2024, the *business* will need to have an Aadvantage account. It seems that the business (NOT the primary cardholder) will earn the miles from the primary and all AU's going forward. However, the primary and each AU will get to keep the LPs (but not the redeemable miles).

Last edited by AlphaTango; Nov 28, 2023 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Just noticed on my latest AA CitiBusiness statement that beginning 04/2024, the *business* will need to have an Aadvantage account. It seems that the business (NOT the primary cardholder) will earn the miles from the primary and all AU's going forward. However, the primary and each AU will get to keep the LPs (but not the redeemable miles).
And that's where my interest ends. Thank you for posting this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If I redeem for upgrade certificates before the program ends, will I have a year to use those after the program ends?
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
This is for the credit card miles only right? The business would earn RDM and the traveler would earn RDM and LP for flying?

Originally Posted by donotblink
If I redeem for upgrade certificates before the program ends, will I have a year to use those after the program ends?
no. They have to be used by the expiration.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is for the credit card miles only right? The business would earn RDM and the traveler would earn RDM and LP for flying?
For flying - I'd imagine so! But for spend, there's no RDM for the primary or AU going forward. From the terms/conditions:
Primary cardmember
The primary cardmember must have or open an AAdvantage account in their own name. Miles earned on the primary cardmember’s credit card will be allocated to the AAdvantage Business™ account. Loyalty Points earned by the primary cardmember will be posted to the AAdvantage account of the primary cardmember. Loyalty Points and miles earned by primary cardmember on any other Citi / AAdvantage credit cards where they are the primary cardmember will post to their individual AAdvantage account.
Authorized User
An Authorized User is an employee or contractor of the Business added to the Card Account with a Card provided with that person’s name. Authorized Users must have or open an AAdvantage account in their own name. Authorized Users must accept the AAdvantage Business™ terms & conditions to earn Loyalty Points. Miles earned on an Authorized User’s credit card will be allocated to the AAdvantage Business™ account. Loyalty Points earned by Authorized Users will be posted to the AAdvantage account of the Authorized User.
rrgg and Antarius like this.

Last edited by AlphaTango; Dec 1, 2023 at 10:45 am Reason: misunderstood the flying component of the question
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
With SWUs I know it is often possible to book and confirm one, then later change flights and keep the SWU upgrade as long as space is available. Can I do the same with a BXP1? Trying to avoid a BXP1 cert becoming useless in a week and a half's time.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned
With SWUs I know it is often possible to book and confirm one, then later change flights and keep the SWU upgrade as long as space is available. Can I do the same with a BXP1? Trying to avoid a BXP1 cert becoming useless in a week and a half's time.
You can do that up until the Business Extra program gets put to pasture on December 15. At that point, your only option will be to redeposit the points (up to the January deadline) and redeem them for AAdvantage miles.
Antarius and Pinned like this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: AA
Feel like this may have been covered but Ive got several BXP1s (purchased in May 2023) that ive tried to use but never cleared. Is there a way to redeposit these and redeem for miles (or something else) before this program goes defunct?
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by robinsondg
Feel like this may have been covered but Ive got several BXP1s (purchased in May 2023) that ive tried to use but never cleared. Is there a way to redeposit these and redeem for miles (or something else) before this program goes defunct?
I don't think you can redeposit them. You can search for SWU space on AA's site or C space on expert flyer and try to book something that will clear immediately.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:18 am

I'm trying to redeem for AA Gold status for one of my kids, as I did last year. Trying to do it before the deadline. Before Nov 30, it gave an error that she was already Gold, so that was invalid. I didn't realize that the FAQ says you can do this 90 days prior to expiration. So as of December 1, it worked. HOWEVER, every time I do it, I get an e-mail the next day that says:
Your Business Extra program award(s) has been returned within the allowable window, and the points have been reinstated to your account. See below for details regarding the award returned. Please note, that once an award has been returned, it is null and void. It may not be used for future travel.

Of course there is nobody to call, and e-mail messages I send are unanswered.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For flying - I'd imagine so! But for spend, there's no RDM for the primary or AU going forward. From the terms/conditions:
Primary cardmember
The primary cardmember must have or open an AAdvantage account in their own name. Miles earned on the primary cardmembers credit card will be allocated to the AAdvantage Business account. Loyalty Points earned by the primary cardmember will be posted to the AAdvantage account of the primary cardmember. Loyalty Points and miles earned by primary cardmember on any other Citi / AAdvantage credit cards where they are the primary cardmember will post to their individual AAdvantage account.
Authorized User
An Authorized User is an employee or contractor of the Business added to the Card Account with a Card provided with that persons name. Authorized Users must have or open an AAdvantage account in their own name. Authorized Users must accept the AAdvantage Business terms & conditions to earn Loyalty Points. Miles earned on an Authorized Users credit card will be allocated to the AAdvantage Business account. Loyalty Points earned by Authorized Users will be posted to the AAdvantage account of the Authorized User.
I took out a Citi AA business card just before this was announced. What happens if the business doesnt have its own account?

was this detailed on the offer? Im concerned my SUB will be lost or an orphaned account. The Sub isnt worth enough to bother with if it isnt augmented.

ETA I see it is disclosed on the current credit card offfer. I see that miles can be transferred to employees with a footnote: limitations may apply

any more details on the transfer proccess?

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 6, 2023 at 11:37 am
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Edited to remove incorrect info.

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 7, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by robinsondg
Ive got several BXP1s (purchased in May 2023) that ive tried to use but never cleared. Is there a way to redeposit these and redeem for miles (or something else) before this program goes defunct?
Yes, you should be able to redeposit your unexpired BXP1s now, or wait until 12/15 when they will be automatically redeposited. Relevant sections from the FAQ:
  • Can points be reinstated after redeeming an award?
    • "Points that have been redeemed but not yet ticketed can be reinstated online by visiting the 'Returns' section of your Business Extra account profile. Expired awards are not eligible for reinstatement.

For processed awards, email [email protected]."
  • I have unused flight/upgrade award certificates, can I still use them?
    • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​"Award certificates can be used through December 15, 2023. Unused flight and upgrade certificates will be automatically converted back to Business Extra points on December 16, 2023, and those points may be converted to AAdvantage miles or donated to charity through January 31, 2024.

Expired awards will not be converted to points."
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by beachfan
This seems like a way to screw

a) employees by having them not get RDMs
Employees still get the personal RDM/LP/MM miles they would earn normally.
robertablake likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
Employees still get the personal RDM/LP/MM miles they would earn normally.
my bad, I was conflating credit card spend miles with BIS miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.