Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
I got an email as well saying 2 of my BXP1s of the 3 I redeemed this year were converted back to BE points - oddly though those 2 have already applied and confirmed upgrades for flights in 5 days. AA app shows my upgrade is still confirmed, so hopefully I don’t get an invol downgrade to middle seat Y as a Christmas check in gift…
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
I got an email as well saying 2 of my BXP1s of the 3 I redeemed this year were converted back to BE points - oddly though those 2 have already applied and confirmed upgrades for flights in 5 days. AA app shows my upgrade is still confirmed, so hopefully I don’t get an invol downgrade to middle seat Y as a Christmas check in gift…
My email came midday yesterday, reinstating my points for the 5 BXP1s I used this year, all of which had been successfully redeemed for upgrades on flights already taken. If this was intentional (which I find hard to believe), then it's a lovely holiday peace offering for ending a much-appreciated program. I converted the returned points to miles immediately.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:12 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
I got the same email for a BXP3 upgrade confirmed JFK-LHR coming up in March. Problem is that we now run the risk that, at time of check in, the system will want payment in some form (miles, SWU, bxp) if the BXP has been pulled back. Did I misread the terms that upgrade certs had to be both redeemed AND flown by 12/16??

no bueno
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PHL
I got the same email for a BXP3 upgrade confirmed JFK-LHR coming up in March. Problem is that we now run the risk that, at time of check in, the system will want payment in some form (miles, SWU, bxp) if the BXP has been pulled back. Did I misread the terms that upgrade certs had to be both redeemed AND flown by 12/16??

no bueno
I believe that is true. All BE awards turned into pumpkins @ midnight 12/15 and were returned to BE points which, at this point, can only be converted to AA miles.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Edgewater Folk
My email came midday yesterday, reinstating my points for the 5 BXP1s I used this year, all of which had been successfully redeemed for upgrades on flights already taken. If this was intentional (which I find hard to believe), then it's a lovely holiday peace offering for ending a much-appreciated program. I converted the returned points to miles immediately.
I did too. I do have a sneaky suspicion that AA will figure out their mistake and look to claw back the points but we'll see.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PHL
Did I misread the terms that upgrade certs had to be both redeemed AND flown by 12/16??
Originally Posted by JMN57
I believe that is true. All BE awards turned into pumpkins @ midnight 12/15 and were returned to BE points which, at this point, can only be converted to AA miles.
But there was nothing in the final terms or FAQ that said that the BE awards needed to be flown by 12/15, only redeemed/issued/cleared/applied.

IMO this is just the final straw in how hilariously bad the Business Extra accounting and IT was. They have no idea what awards were actually applied or not.

I used several BXP3's this year and didn't get any refunds or redeposits, go figure.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
I received email notice of two BXP1s being returned, both redeemed earlier this year supposedly per the email. I redeemed another BXP1 last week and waitlisted it for a flight tomorrow which, according to the FAQ, seemed valid (that awards needed to be applied by 12/15). The BE website now says that specific BXP1 has been returned to my account. Pretty disappointing work by AA.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Lol I got “refunded” for every BXP1 certificate I’ve used in the last 12 months. Ended up converting a balance of just over 4000 points into miles.

Not a bad payoff for an otherwise crappy way to end a program.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
IMO this is just the final straw in how hilariously bad the Business Extra accounting and IT was. They have no idea what awards were actually applied or not.
Back when the program issued paper certificates (BXP1s most commonly for me), they were only collected intermittently. Manual counter check-in was required by some kind of internal control, but even then the ticket agents often had no idea to ask for the certificate. More than once, these certificates got "re-used."

That paper process went away a few years ago, and BusinessExtraa upgrades started using electronic redemption codes (hexadecimally encoded, indicating that the code had to be entered directly into some kind of validation algorithm). Surprise, surprise -- it appears that a goodly percentage of these codes were not correctly redeemed after validation. A couple of old BXP1s from the past year were credited back to me over the final days of the program as unused (but they were in fact flown in the upgraded cabin).

I now think that this shrinkage was known to AAdvantage, and that this fact was another nail in the coffin for the overall program. The program, or at least the upgrade part of it, was too good to be true -- jumping the upgrade queue on day-of-departure; usability on transcons from J to F; the same (cheap) 650 points regardless if it was MIA-LAX on a 787 or ORD-DTW on a jungle jet.

It was nice while it lasted.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:28 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have a phone number for BE? They only say to email them, but with this recent weekend batch job that pulled certs back into the accounts, I'm sure they're getting a ton of questions. I really want to get to the bottom of the March confirmed upgrade without waiting to get to the airport to find out they need payment.

update: called meeting services. They looked it up and said the upgrade wasn't paid for. I have a confirmation email from 9/1 for a 3/8/24 flight of the BXP3 redemption "Confirmed Business Class". I did the redemption online. It worked, it confirmed, I got a seat assigned. During my phone inquiry, the help desk then pulled the seat and put it back into coach saying there was nothing they could do about it because it was never 'paid for'. I have no idea what that means. Certificate applied and confirmed. I asked to escalate and they said there's no more recourse. And of course the C upgrade inventory isn't put back on the flight.

Last edited by PHL; Dec 18, 2023 at 1:20 pm
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by PHL
Anyone have a phone number for BE? They only say to email them, but with this recent weekend batch job that pulled certs back into the accounts, I'm sure they're getting a ton of questions. I really want to get to the bottom of the March confirmed upgrade without waiting to get to the airport to find out they need payment.

update: called meeting services. They looked it up and said the upgrade wasn't paid for. I have a confirmation email from 9/1 for a 3/8/24 flight of the BXP3 redemption "Confirmed Business Class". I did the redemption online. It worked, it confirmed, I got a seat assigned. During my phone inquiry, the help desk then pulled the seat and put it back into coach saying there was nothing they could do about it because it was never 'paid for'. I have no idea what that means. Certificate applied and confirmed. I asked to escalate and they said there's no more recourse. And of course the C upgrade inventory isn't put back on the flight.
I had a similar experience over the last couple of days.

I was having difficulty with the BE site on the 15th. So I called to book my last few trips directly with an agent. Called EXP line, and after about 15 minutes was transferred to Meeting Services. The agent booked my first trip (for two people). When I asked to book the next trip, I was informed the agent (she) spent to much time with me. The total call was 32 minutes, so I guess 15-20 minutes was just too much for this clown. I made one more plea that this was a simple trip that wouldn't take a few minutes to book. Also, that I was having difficulty with the BE site so personal attention would be helpful. Her response was no response. Not a word, just tossed me into the satisfaction survey which I was glad to take part.

I was able to book the last trip through the BE site, or so I thought. After booking the trip, I went to my credit card website to make sure the charge went through like I always do when booking airfare. There it was in pending, $11.20. Yesterday, the 8000 points were redeposited into my BE account and the trip canceled. I called EXP desk, and they discovered the reason was that the credit card company rejected the payment. I called Barclay, and of course, they emphatically stated that the charge was not declined or rejected by them.

I did call back and filed a complaint against both the rep who was too busy to help me, and my findings from the credit card company. Of course, it's now too late to have any kind of resolution.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:46 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Yikes, so it sounds like the best approach right now is NOT to call about these issues?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:55 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Yikes, so it sounds like the best approach right now is NOT to call about these issues?
That's your option, but you have a chance that you won't be able to check in when the system doesn't have a certificate attached to it.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:51 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
That's your option, but you have a chance that you won't be able to check in when the system doesn't have a certificate attached to it.
Fortunately, I'm not in this situation, but was just following this in case it does come up. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by aisleorwindow; Dec 21, 2023 at 11:22 am
Old Dec 19, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I gifted Platinum on 12/14. Points were deducted and thankfully stayed that way. How long should it take for status to kick in?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.