Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone got this message when trying to register?

Unable to register your company

We couldn't verify your company based on the information you entered.

You can check your company details and try again or read eligibility requirements.
It is a legit company with a US FEIN. I don't know why we wouldn't meet the requirements.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:07 pm

This is a bummer with a six figure business extra points balance. Not an amount easy to burn in a short period.

My quick glance and understanding is that any awards need to be ticketed by December 15th. The play would seem to be to book Anytime Awards. Meeting services will still exist to make changes, I assume, one year from the date ticketed. But what changes are allowed? Is it date only? Or if I book a BX6E to London can I change it later to Rome? Same thing can I book some BX1E awards for domestic travel and change the airports later, or will I be limited to date changes only?

They discontinued the Business Extra telephone number (800-457-7072) so unfortunately can't even reach them now via telephone. Will have to try email ...
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mrfussion
This is a bummer with a six figure business extra points balance. Not an amount easy to burn in a short period.

My quick glance and understanding is that any awards need to be ticketed by December 15th. The play would seem to be to book Anytime Awards. Meeting services will still exist to make changes, I assume, one year from the date ticketed. But what changes are allowed? Is it date only? Or if I book a BX6E to London can I change it later to Rome? Same thing can I book some BX1E awards for domestic travel and change the airports later, or will I be limited to date changes only?

They discontinued the Business Extra telephone number (800-457-7072) so unfortunately can't even reach them now via telephone. Will have to try email ...
I'm wondering the same thing. We have tons of business extra points and I don't want to lose them. My best guess? No re routing allowed but date changes are probably fine.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:36 pm
Suspended

I'm very confused on the verbiage . I know its a brand new change and i am sure they will improve the FAQ.

If we are holding onto some BXP1 upgrade certificates do we still have till they expire to request an upgrade?

It almost sounds like we HAVE TO upgrade by dec 15 or they go back to points and then miles which is crazy short notice. Would stink as i have quite a bit of 2024 travel coming up and dates are unknown till closer in

Last edited by lunchtime; Oct 16, 2023 at 3:48 pm
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:39 pm

Does anyone think they're setting this up to (either immediately or eventually) offer different pricing on business vs. personal travel through aa.com since apparently you have to pick one when booking? Otherwise what is the incentive to select personal travel (aside from abiding by the T&Cs which of course we're all doing all the time)?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Aspirant
Does anyone think they're setting this up to (either immediately or eventually) offer different pricing on business vs. personal travel through aa.com since apparently you have to pick one when booking? Otherwise what is the incentive to select personal travel (aside from abiding by the T&Cs which of course we're all doing all the time)?
Isn't this the same as now? You either put the BE number in or don't
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Isn't this the same as now? You either put the BE number in or don't
Right but now (under BE) you do that after you've selected your flight, knowing the price. It's my understanding that under this new program you tell them if it's business or personal as you're entering the search criteria, prior to seeing any pricing.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:01 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
Agreed. I think the FAQ you posted is pretty clear on the subject.
Award certificates can be used through December 15, 2023. Unused flight and upgrade certificates will be automatically converted back to Business Extra® points on December 16, 2023, and those points may be converted to AAdvantage® miles or donated to charity through January 31, 2024.

I wonder if BXP1 upgrades that are waitlisted are considered "used" in this context?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
I wonder if BXP1 upgrades that are waitlisted are considered "used" in this context?
Given that they are killing off the BE program, I suspect that anything not cleared will not be able to be used and would be converted.

Not sure, just speculating as the instruments won't really exist past EOY.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I have to say I am pretty happy now that I redeemed a BXP3 for an upgrade of JFK-MXP in June. Looks like I'll pick up some Admiral Clubs passes with what I have left as everything else seems to revert back to points after 12/15.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Wow - this is just a mess. Way to think through the eventual fallouts before launching this AA... ugh.

So - I'm now caught in a loop. I joined BE donkey's years ago, and have used it for my 2 person LLC. When the "multiple fliers" requirement kicked in a few years back, we made it fine, but via the independent contractors I would hire on for jobs, and us booking their travel (and forcing them to fly AA against their Global Services protests!)... I guess if everyone has to have the same email domain, AA wants me to let the half dozen electrical engineers I have forced to fly American every time we travel LAX-LHR in paid J, to go back to their beloved United!

Seems the new program is only for companies that exclusively travel in-house employees on jobs!
<looks around at the VERY different corporate landscape of today than American executives must think exists>

Moreover - as has been pointed out, BE never needed a FEIN. Tying the registration to an FEIN and legacy BE number is fine... but the "name" we used on our BE when we registered is not the exact name that is on the FEIN - so of course we're in a blackhole of AA IT... would it have killed them to roll over companies automatically, and then force the FEIN update? (And offered support so we could work through the errors?!)

What a stupid and shortsighted move.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
I'm confused, the wording says repeatedly, "any remaining Business Extra® points will be limited to an AAdvantage® miles transfer". I don't see what the conversion rate is from Business Extraa points to aavantage miles? or is this a typo, and they mean to say the new Aadvantage Business points? Can I convert my Business Extra points to miles?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrbenko
I'm confused, the wording says repeatedly, "any remaining Business Extra® points will be limited to an AAdvantage® miles transfer". I don't see what the conversion rate is from Business Extraa points to aavantage miles? or is this a typo, and they mean to say the new Aadvantage Business points? Can I convert my Business Extra points to miles?
It's 1:6. Look under the redeem section on BE. https://www.businessextra.com/redeem/redeem-points.htm

lrbenko likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Oct 16, 2023 at 4:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I'm within a few hundred BE points of two anytime Hawaii first class flights. The confusion for me is:
1) Points can be earned up until 11:59pm on 12/15...BUT it always takes a few days for the points to post.
2) Can one convert BE points to BE awards after 12/15 and then ticket by 1/31/24 OR must all awards be used by 12/15.
3) Can tickets "purchased" with BE points be used for one year or must they be booked by 12/15?

AA's information surrounding this program shutdown is very difficult to understand.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Are the admirals club passes transferable once redeemed? Seems like the best way to use up excess points at this point.
they told me no... and when I asked why not... they didnt have an answer.. used to like the ability to order a bunch at a time
and give them to friends etc
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.