Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Business Extra Ending 15 Dec 2023, AAdvantage Business program coming

Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Just went through the sign up process. Pretty straight forward. One thing that I did notice is the part where you invite your employees to the program. They all need to have the same email domain. I wonder if AA got tired of people gaming the system by having their friends with google and yahoo email addresses just use their Business Extras account? I know I had my wife listed on ours and she only had a yahoo.com account.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Are the admirals club passes transferable once redeemed? Seems like the best way to use up excess points at this point.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Just went through the sign up process. Pretty straight forward. One thing that I did notice is the part where you invite your employees to the program. They all need to have the same email domain. I wonder if AA got tired of people gaming the system by having their friends with google and yahoo email addresses just use their Business Extras account? I know I had my wife listed on ours and she only had a yahoo.com account.
Which is patchable if you have your own domain lying around...
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The biggest change is that an FEIN is going to be required and validated annually. The sole props/unincorporated businesses that thrived under BusinessExtra are dead under this program, in line with the new requirements imposed on redemptions in the last few years.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Are the admirals club passes transferable once redeemed? Seems like the best way to use up excess points at this point.
Either that or the membership. Well done AA and the universe, you've actually managed to make me consider an AC membership.

The point redemptions for travel have always been mediocre value, but that's another option.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Is that just for the new BE signup? or does your AAdvantage account have to use that domain also?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Antarius
Is that just for the new BE signup? or does your AAdvantage account have to use that domain also?
When I signed up for the new business account it asked me to enter an email address. It didn't look like it had to be the same one as your personal account, but in my case they are the same so I am not sure.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Antarius
Either that or the membership. Well done AA and the universe, you've actually managed to make me consider an AC membership.

The point redemptions for travel have always been mediocre value, but that's another option.
Yeah. But does anyone know if I can have the passes deposited into my account and then give them to others to use?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It's really ...... of AA to not let BXP1s be useable past Dec 15.
I don't see anything yet that says you have to use all existing BE awards by Dec 15, only that you have until Dec. 15 to claim awards with your existing points. So then you'd have a year after that to actually use the award (or upgrade).

And no different from before once you claim an award you should be able to use them for whoever you choose.
JMN57 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah. But does anyone know if I can have the passes deposited into my account and then give them to others to use?
I do not know unfortunately. I would think that the answer is yes, as the passes are now part of your wallet and no longer held in BE (unlike redeemed but unused BXPs etc). I would also similarly think a flight booked using BE points or a BXP1 that is confirmed on a date in 2024 would still hold.

However, this is my speculation/theory.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I don't see anything yet that says you have to use all existing BE awards by Dec 15, only that you have until Dec. 15 to claim awards with your existing points. So then you'd have a year after that to actually use the award (or upgrade).
I'm not clear on this either.

Additionally, Please note, upon joining the AAdvantage Business™ program your Business Extra® earn will stop, including opportunities to unlock your points if you haven't yet met the threshold requirements. Does this mean that if I convert now and am beyond the threshold, it locks it as having met the threshold?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
At some point I really want to see whomever came up with a given devaluation to a program dressed up like this asked "If your intent was to improve the customer experience, how does it feel to be a dismal failure in life?"
The intent is NEVER to improve the CX. The intent is always to drive more profits.
Selling it as improvements to CX is a marketing job - that's it.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by bchandler02
The intent is NEVER to improve the CX. The intent is always to drive more profits.
Selling it as improvements to CX is a marketing job - that's it.
Oh, we all know that. The point is really just to slap them in the face over the obvious disconnect between what they're saying and what they're doing. Particularly if they're at C-suite salaries, I'd submit that they are getting paid to deal with this sort of mockery.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

And no different from before once you claim an award you should be able to use them for whoever you choose.
I do not believe that to be the case. From the FAQ, it seems like all awards must be *ticketed* by 15 Dec:
Can I still book Business Extra® travel?

Customers can book and earn with Business Extra® program travel through December 15, 2023. Flights departing after 11:59 p.m. (CT) on December 15 will not earn any Business Extra® points. You will continue to have the ability to cancel/change your flights as usual regardless of the flight date.
I have unused flight/upgrade award certificates, can I still use them?

Award certificates can be used through December 15, 2023. Unused flight and upgrade certificates will be automatically converted back to Business Extra® points on December 16, 2023, and those points may be converted to AAdvantage® miles or donated to charity through January 31, 2024.

Expired awards will not be converted to points.
If you would like to cancel an award reservation, travel awards will continue to be returned as an award certificate through December 15, 2023. Beginning December 16, 2023, any canceled award reservations must be refunded to your Business Extra® points balance and can only be converted to AAdvantage® miles or donated to charity.

Email [email protected] to refund any canceled award reservations to Business Extra® points. Expired awards are not eligible for a refund.

Please note, any cancelations after January 31, 2024 will result in loss of the flight award.
I read that to say "If you have awards which have not been ticketed by 15 Dec 2023, the award will be re-deposited on 16 Dec 2023, and then you will no longer have any option other than 'convert to miles' which will be available until 31 Jan 2024. If you don't do anything by then, all points are forfeited." I'd love to be proven wrong, because I now have 60 days to figure out how to *ticket* all of these points, whereas I had planned to turn them into award certificates and figure out ticketing sometime in 2024 as I put together travel plans.
gbaker49 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StSebastian
I read that to say "If you have awards which have not been ticketed by 15 Dec 2023, the award will be re-deposited on 16 Dec 2023, and then you will no longer have any option other than 'convert to miles' which will be available until 31 Jan 2024. If you don't do anything by then, all points are forfeited." I'd love to be proven wrong, because I now have 60 days to figure out how to *ticket* all of these points, whereas I had planned to turn them into award certificates and figure out ticketing sometime in 2024 as I put together travel plans.
Agreed. I think the FAQ you posted is pretty clear on the subject.

Award certificates can be used through December 15, 2023. Unused flight and upgrade certificates will be automatically converted back to Business Extra® points on December 16, 2023, and those points may be converted to AAdvantage® miles or donated to charity through January 31, 2024.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
One change - the Travel Manager has to have their AAdvantage account registered in the US. Not a requirement in BusinessExtra

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.