Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: BONVOY Titanium, Hilton, AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Jet Blue
I wish I'd read this yesterday before transferring Marriott points. Oh well! Trying to find a way to get 40K LPs when only doing short flights. I'll have 30 flights by the end of the month. Considering upgrading my base Barclays card.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Checked luggage question: I am on a basic economy ticket, but I have an AAdvantage Citi Executive card (I am an AU), though I didn't use it to buy this ticket. Can I show that when I go to the airport to get a free checked bag, or will I really be stuck paying the $30?
Only the primary cardholder receives the free checked luggage benefit. Up to four individuals traveling with the primary cardholder on the same reservation - they don't have to be authorized users - will also receive their first checked bag free of charge.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by TWA884
Only the primary cardholder receives the free checked luggage benefit. Up to four individuals traveling with the primary cardholder on the same reservation - they don't have to be authorized users - will also receive their first checked bag free of charge.
Oof I really should have done my research in advance. Thank you for answering this.

-J.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat
Newbie Question - Bag Required to Travel with Passenger

I checked into my flight over 45 minutes before departure and tried to check my bag about 40 minutes before departure. The agent wouldn't let me check my bag and forced me to rebook my flight. Her reasoning was the bag has to fly on the same flight as the passenger. Has anyone else had that happen before?

Admittedly, I normally fly WN, and I swear I've been able to check a bag late and have it come in on a later flight and delivered to my room.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LacrosseTraveler
I checked into my flight over 45 minutes before departure and tried to check my bag about 40 minutes before departure. The agent wouldn't let me check my bag and forced me to rebook my flight. Her reasoning was the bag has to fly on the same flight as the passenger. Has anyone else had that happen before?

Admittedly, I normally fly WN, and I swear I've been able to check a bag late and have it come in on a later flight and delivered to my room.
AA's cut-off time for domestic checked baggage is 45 minutes, so you missed the deadline.

But there is no rule requiring that bags accompany the passenger on domestic flights.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LacrosseTraveler

Originally Posted by guv1976
AA's cut-off time for domestic checked baggage is 45 minutes, so you missed the deadline.

But there is no rule requiring that bags accompany the passenger on domestic flights.
​​​​​​
There's no rule requiring bags accompany the passenger on domestic flights, but AA won't let you voluntarily separate from your bags. And even if they would, I guarantee they wouldn't be willing to deliver the bag to you as the OP suggested, instead of making you come retrieve it at the airport.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
There's no rule requiring bags accompany the passenger on domestic flights, but AA won't let you voluntarily separate from your bags. And even if they would, I guarantee they wouldn't be willing to deliver the bag to you as the OP suggested, instead of making you come retrieve it at the airport.
In the past, I unsuccessfully stood by for an earlier flight from JFK to LAX, but my checked bag apparently made it, as it was already in the LAX Baggage Office when my later flight arrived. Perhaps AA does not consider that a voluntary separation from one's baggage.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Checked luggage question: I am on a basic economy ticket, but I have an AAdvantage Citi Executive card (I am an AU), though I didn't use it to buy this ticket. Can I show that when I go to the airport to get a free checked bag, or will I really be stuck paying the $30?
You do not have to have the physical card. It's noted on your AA account that you're a cardholder.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
You do not have to have the physical card. It's noted on your AA account that you're a cardholder.
He is an authorized user, not the primary cardholder. Authorized users do not receive the free one checked bag benefit, only the primary cardholder does and up to four additional persons traveling with him or her on the same reservation.
GW McLintock likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 16, 2022 at 4:17 am
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:28 am

Do I need to complete 30 segment requirement before reaching 120K/200K loyalty points (LP) mark to qualify for Loyalty Choice Rewards (LCR) ?

I am likely to cross LP threshold before meeting segment requirements. Does that mea:
  • I will have to forfeit LCR if I reach LP threshold before meeting 30 segments? or
  • LCR will be delayed until I satisfied bother requirements?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ccuser11
Do I need to complete 30 segment requirement before reaching 120K/200K loyalty points (LP) mark to qualify for Loyalty Choice Rewards (LCR) ?

I am likely to cross LP threshold before meeting segment requirements. Does that mea:
  • I will have to forfeit LCR if I reach LP threshold before meeting 30 segments? or
  • LCR will be delayed until I satisfied bother requirements?
You don't have to reach 30 segments before you hit 125k/200k LP to be eligible for the choice rewards. If you've already achieved 125k or 200k LP's, then as soon as you hit 30 segments the choice rewards will become available.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Thanks for all of the info. I am still trying to sort this out, as the following is the response I received from AA. Note that all of the check in agent, the supervisor, and the online customer relations stated this, but I cannot find it on the web site.

"Thank you for your most recent response. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your request.

That would be correct, we would not be allowed to board a passenger on a flight then have their luggage go on a separate flight. Passenger's luggage has to travel on the same flight they are scheduled. I hope this information was helpful.

We appreciate your AAdvantage® loyalty very much, Mr. Hanson, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on board another American flight.

Sincerely,

Joshua Palmer

Customer Relations

American Airlines"
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:49 pm

One other comment, I am normally a Southwest customer, but decided to try AA, because of Southwest scheduling/delay issues lately. I checked the Southwest policy to see how far I was off, and they will check the bag, but do not guarantee it arrives with the booked flight.

"Late Check-InWhen checking baggage, allow sufficient time for it to be placed on your flight. Baggage checked in 45 minutes or less before the scheduled or posted departure time (whichever is later) is considered “Late Check”

Although every effort will be made to get late checked baggage on your flight, in the event your baggage does not arrive with you at your destination, Southwest will not assume delivery charges to get your baggage to you."
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
On a flight yesterday AA offered a Barclays Mastercard which would earn a 50K bonus with first purchase, and first year annual fee waived. I already got a Citi signup bonus earlier this year, and I believe those cards have a 48 month period before you could qualify for a bonus if you were to cancel/reapply later. Since Barclays is a different bank, would I be eligible for the bonus? (I assume YES, but am looking for confirmation).

Also, are there any better Barclays offers?
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
On a flight yesterday AA offered a Barclays Mastercard which would earn a 50K bonus with first purchase, and first year annual fee waived. I already got a Citi signup bonus earlier this year, and I believe those cards have a 48 month period before you could qualify for a bonus if you were to cancel/reapply later. Since Barclays is a different bank, would I be eligible for the bonus? (I assume YES, but am looking for confirmation).

Also, are there any better Barclays offers?
Yep, Barclays is a completely different bank from Citi so any of the Citi sign up bonus restrictions are irrelevant.

If your flight offered the 50k consider yourself lucky, not many FA's are able to offer such an incredible bonus!

In all seriousness the 50k offer has been the standard on board offering for years, I would do some internet searching on Doctor of Cedit and the usual blogs to see if anything better is currently out there.

AA FAs Now Hawking AA Credit Cards Inflight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.