Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Dining questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
understood.. I see some folks have gotten instant email but I never did..
I usually get an email as soon as there is a pending charge. But not always; I wouldn't worry.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
The one restaurant in the program that I go to relatively frequently because it's very close to my place hasn't been giving me credit for Discover purchases lately (at least since 4/1, when I started using my Discover card there for the 5% quarterly restaurant rebate promotion).

After a couple of transactions didn't post for a couple of weeks, I called up AA Dining, and the rep I spoke with said there seems to be a problem with that restaurant "not submitting their Discover charges" or something like that (whatever that means). Weirdly, she could see in her system somewhere that I used the card in question at the restaurant on the correct days, but for some reason I can't understand that didn't translate into me getting the mileage.

She asked me to take a picture of the receipts and email them in. After a couple of days, I got an email from AA Dining congratulating me on earning miles for those transactions (lol), and after a week or so the miles showed up in my AA account. In the meantime, as an experiment I used a Visa card at the same restaurant - almost immediately, I got an email notifying me that I'd earned miles, and they credited to my AA account within just a couple of days.

This reminds me that I need to send in my receipt for some takeout I got last week.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:44 am

Can I register a credit card which is in my name on my wife's AA dining program? Just asking as I use my card a lot for dining and don't have significant stake in AA unlike my wife.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
The one restaurant in the program that I go to relatively frequently because it's very close to my place hasn't been giving me credit for Discover purchases lately (at least since 4/1, when I started using my Discover card there for the 5% quarterly restaurant rebate promotion).

After a couple of transactions didn't post for a couple of weeks, I called up AA Dining, and the rep I spoke with said there seems to be a problem with that restaurant "not submitting their Discover charges" or something like that (whatever that means). Weirdly, she could see in her system somewhere that I used the card in question at the restaurant on the correct days, but for some reason I can't understand that didn't translate into me getting the mileage.

She asked me to take a picture of the receipts and email them in. After a couple of days, I got an email from AA Dining congratulating me on earning miles for those transactions (lol), and after a week or so the miles showed up in my AA account. In the meantime, as an experiment I used a Visa card at the same restaurant - almost immediately, I got an email notifying me that I'd earned miles, and they credited to my AA account within just a couple of days.

This reminds me that I need to send in my receipt for some takeout I got last week.
Yup - two of my local restaurants have a similar issue when I use American Express. The AA dinings go through with mastercard or visa, so I just use those there. But customer service has been great when I submitted the Amex receipts for missing dines.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

understood.. I see some folks have gotten instant email but I never did..
I tend to get instant emails when dining at restaurants that have been in the program for a while, but not often for restaurants that joined the program more recently. That's the pattern I've noticed.

Ie, whether you get the instant email is related to the restaurant you dined at, not to the person who dined, unless the person who dined opted out of emails, but why would they, since opting out of emails reduced the number of miles you earn drastically.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Yup - two of my local restaurants have a similar issue when I use American Express. The AA dinings go through with mastercard or visa, so I just use those there. But customer service has been great when I submitted the Amex receipts for missing dines.
Is there an AA dining customer service email or phone? Sorry new to this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Can I register a credit card which is in my name on my wife's AA dining program? Just asking as I use my card a lot for dining and don't have significant stake in AA unlike my wife.
Yes, shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by mnsweeps
is there an aa dining customer service email or phone? Sorry new to this.
(800) 479-5981
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA
If I use Apple Pay which is linked to my registered card will I still get credit? I ask, because Apple Pay "masks" the card number using a device number.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by theshaun
If I use Apple Pay which is linked to my registered card will I still get credit? I ask, because Apple Pay "masks" the card number using a device number.
Good question. I just noticed one of my charges has not been credited (12 days ago). However, I don't recall whether I used Apple Pay or the actual Apple Card. Regardless, the card doesn't have the number on it either. So, the answer may be no without some hassle.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check the T&C
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
They can't identify you as an AAdvantage Dining member without your enrolled credit card number.
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Now it seems we can add another category: if you pay by ApplePay. Even though your charges are still going to your credit card account, since the ApplePay has a different virtual number than the number on your physical card, you don’t get any credit.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 9:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I would recommend not doing that. Use the actual card.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA
Fair enough, but I don't remember the last time I took my CC out of my wallet.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The actual card doesn't have the number either. Perhaps it's embedded?

Fair enough, but I don't remember the last time I took my CC out of my wallet.
You only go to places that accept Apple Pay? I went to at least two places yesterday that don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.