AAdvantage Dining questions

Old Dec 7, 21, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
AAdvantage Dining questions

I have no knowledge or understanding of the program and I'm hoping to find help here. Depending on how the spend is converted to LPs, it may take on added importance in the coming year.

The local pizza joint is a participant. Does every time I buy a slice of pizza count as a visit?

If I do that 11 times, do I become a premium member (or whatever they call it) and get 5x points? How long does this premium status last?

The pizza joint already gives 3x points. Are the 3x and the 5x stackable? There seems to be a school of thought that believes the 3x will count in full. The 5x seems a bit less likely.

So many questions ... thanks in advance!
dorisrpas likes this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
I have no knowledge or understanding of the program and I'm hoping to find help here. Depending on how the spend is converted to LPs, it may take on added importance in the coming year.

The local pizza joint is a participant. Does every time I buy a slice of pizza count as a visit?

If I do that 11 times, do I become a premium member (or whatever they call it) and get 5x points? How long does this premium status last?

The pizza joint already gives 3x points. Are the 3x and the 5x stackable? There seems to be a school of thought that believes the 3x will count in full. The 5x seems a bit less likely.

So many questions ... thanks in advance!
LOL.

Are you trying to get status by eating pizza pies?
vasantn, bgasser and TimeToDive like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

Generally, yes. But check the rules specific to that pizza joint. Used to be some merchants had benefit caps either per visit or per month.

Calendar year, I think.

The pizza joint already gives 3x points. Are the 3x and the 5x stackable?
Definitely not.
vasantn and Drwaz99 like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
According to this article by TPG, yes, all the miles earned from AA dining and AA shopping will count as LP towards status.

​​​​https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...aa-status/amp/
vasantn likes this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
LOL.

Are you trying to get status by eating pizza pies?
If I'm going to try and rack up some LPs though AAdvantage Dining, I'd like to get to the 5x level if they will all count. If not, I won't bother to get the "status".

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
Generally, yes. But check the rules specific to that pizza joint. Used to be some merchants had benefit caps either per visit or per month.

Calendar year, I think.
Thanks, I will check to see if there are limitations with this pizza place.

Definitely not.
Then doing the 11 orders is less tempting, since many establishments seem to give at least 3x already.

Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
According to this article by TPG, yes, all the miles earned from AA dining and AA shopping will count as LP towards status.

That's what it sounds like. But AA won't hesitate to change it if they realize they've goofed.

Last edited by vasantn; Dec 7, 21 at 8:14 pm
Old Dec 7, 21, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Then doing the 11 orders is less tempting, since many establishments seem to give at least 3x already.
I didn't realize that there were any establishments offering less than 3 miles per $ as long as you meet the requirement for whatever that level of membership is (I think all it requires is having a valid email address on file with Rewards Network)

Thought it was 1 mile/$ for basic member
3 miles/$ if you have your email address on file
5 miles/$ for "VIP"

I don't really pay attention to the restaurant list but every once in a while get a nice surprise when I eat somewhere and the mileage posting shows up unexpectedly a few days later. Back when I paid closer attention, restaurants were constantly cycling in and out of the program.

Maybe they've really devalued the program if some restaurants now offer less than 3 miles per dollar.
vasantn and JPG3392 like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I didn't realize that there were any establishments offering less than 3 miles per $ as long as you meet the requirement for whatever that level of membership is (I think all it requires is having a valid email address on file with Rewards Network)

Thought it was 1 mile/$ for basic member
3 miles/$ if you have your email address on file
5 miles/$ for "VIP"

I don't really pay attention to the restaurant list but every once in a while get a nice surprise when I eat somewhere and the mileage posting shows up unexpectedly a few days later. Back when I paid closer attention, restaurants were constantly cycling in and out of the program.
I re-read the program details and you are correct.

I wonder if there is a list of high-end restaurants that participate. I could use some for group business dinners and be the bank and pay with my AA card. Might be a good way to rack up a few thousand LPs.
Old Dec 7, 21, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if there is a list of high-end restaurants that participate. I could use some for group business dinners and be the bank and pay with my AA card. Might be a good way to rack up a few thousand LPs.
No, but if your business ever takes you to PHF, Schlesinger's isn't a terrible option. Schlesinger's has pretty consistently participated in the program ever since I started going to PHF regularly.

As for high-end restaurants in DAL that participate, if your clients are over 90 they might enjoy the Old Warsaw!
vasantn and jef787 like this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Just to add to the comments already posted:

Probably - but check the earning schedule for the restaurant. Some restaurants only give points on certain days of the week.

it lasts through the rest of the current year (the year you hit 11 dines) plus all of the next calendar year.
vasantn, chrisny2 and JPG3392 like this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

The roster of participating restaurants is very very random.

About 10-12 years ago, I think I had a promotion to get something or other if I spent $100 in a time frame, and I found a pretty nice restaurant in Raleigh (where I lived at the time). But mostly I've gotten my points for Buca De Peppo, a sandwich place in Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, and a few Burger Kings. Yes, there was a pizza place in Chevy Chase, MD. Mostly I used to use them to extend points. I once needed to extend my and my wife's Southwest points, so I went to a participating Burger King. Coffee on one credit card and hash browns on another, and I had another 18 months of rollover.
vasantn likes this.
Old Dec 8, 21, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
The roster of participating restaurants is very very random.
And very very frequently changing too.
Old Dec 8, 21, 3:52 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, WN A-List/CP, AA Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post

No, this is not accurate.

First, let's look at a quote from the introduction of the article you reference:
Originally Posted by TPG Article
While some details are still being worked out, today well go through all of the ways you should be able to earn status moving forward.
By it's own admission this article was just speculating about exactly how the program will work, because AA has been vague about this aspect of Loyalty Points, how partner earnings will earn Loyalty Points.

In any case, according to what is published by AA itself, you should expect that Base Points (not Bonus Points) earned through AAdvantage Dining will count as Loyalty Points. Same goes for Shopping, Base Points (not Bonus Points) should count as Loyalty Points. Where it gets fuzzy is will base miles from every partner count 1:1 as Loyalty Points, some believe this can't possibly be because of one partner in particular, Bask Bank. I'm confident Shopping and Dining earn LP because the website for the new AAdvantage program specifically says they do as partners, I'm less confident in how other partners will actually earn LP until we get actual reports or AA provides more clarity.
Old Dec 8, 21, 5:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
you should expect that Base Points (not Bonus Points) earned through AAdvantage Dining will count as Loyalty Points.
Although DM shows them as a bonus in THEIR program, all miles posting from DM post to AA as base miles. So yes, they'll all count.
Old Dec 8, 21, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
Although DM shows them as a bonus in THEIR program, all miles posting from DM post to AA as base miles. So yes, they'll all count.
DM??
Old Dec 8, 21, 6:41 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, WN A-List/CP, AA Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
Guess I'm just wasting my time worrying about the written rules for a program that hasn't even started yet.

Search this Thread