Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two drink limit in First? Policy or rubbish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two drink limit in First? Policy or rubbish?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:22 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
To answer the question, I had plenty of bubbles between MIA-LAX. My husband wanted a brandy which we knew AA no longer carry on Domestic. I have plenty of miniatures acquired during travels. I went and asked the lovely FA on his side of the 777 whether she would serve it. She told me that she was not permitted to open the bottle but she was more than happy to provide a glass whilst thanking us for asking. As she said, we’re supposed to cut you back or off if she though you were getting drunk. Old school AA with 30+ years service , she was what made AA really great long before US Air got its claws in.

This is in stark contrast to the lazy moo we were saddled with to EYW who sat there doing nothing.
FlyerBeek, jcatman, CLT and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by jcatman
1. Hot meals eliminated in First Class. Hot towels eliminated in First Class. Mints eliminated in First Class.

2. Pre-departure beverage eliminated in First Class. Alcohol being restricted during the flight to all passengers in First Class without merit or explanation.

3. Snack basket filled with reduced-sized carb-based junk. Jerky eliminated as it represents a Covid threat.

We now have a new class of cabin on American.........First Class-light. Same ticket price....same amount of seat pitch......but less of everything else.
everything went downhill when the sundaes disappeared. I blame ice cream.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:43 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I’ll just add my own observation to this interesting thread. My instinct is rogue FA.

So I flew down from PHL to MIA tonight, on the 788, me and my better half sitting in the middle pair. My other half asked for a scotch, and got 2 minis from the FA on his side of the cabin. I asked for a gin tonic and got served a single glass of it.

I had literally been at work since 8am, worked flat out, and legged it to the airport straight from work and got to the gate 2 mins before boarding, so I was gasping.
I said to the FA, very politely, - ahem, usually when I order a G&T in F, I get a mixed one, an extra bottle, and the can, or a glass with ice, 2 minis, and a can. Never just the drink.

Oh no sir, that is definitely not our policy. I was like - I flew up yesterday, and it definitely was the policy. I flew in F twice last week and it was the policy. But he was having none of it.
10 mins later he comes down the aisle with the can, no mini, and said - here you go, I’m making an exception just for you, as you are ExP. Aw thanks.
2 more bottles were forthcoming, so no evidence of the 2 drink rule tho. He just had to do extra work bringing them out when I wanted them.

Oh well, first world issues etc blah blah.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
I’ll just add my own observation to this interesting thread. My instinct is rogue FA.

So I flew down from PHL to MIA tonight, on the 788, me and my better half sitting in the middle pair. My other half asked for a scotch, and got 2 minis from the FA on his side of the cabin. I asked for a gin tonic and got served a single glass of it.

I had literally been at work since 8am, worked flat out, and legged it to the airport straight from work and got to the gate 2 mins before boarding, so I was gasping.
I said to the FA, very politely, - ahem, usually when I order a G&T in F, I get a mixed one, an extra bottle, and the can, or a glass with ice, 2 minis, and a can. Never just the drink.

Oh no sir, that is definitely not our policy. I was like - I flew up yesterday, and it definitely was the policy. I flew in F twice last week and it was the policy. But he was having none of it.
10 mins later he comes down the aisle with the can, no mini, and said - here you go, I’m making an exception just for you, as you are ExP. Aw thanks.
2 more bottles were forthcoming, so no evidence of the 2 drink rule tho. He just had to do extra work bringing them out when I wanted them.

Oh well, first world issues etc blah blah.
Sounds like a very awkward FA.

The two minis thing wasn’t really standard pre-COVID, but it would sometimes happen, usually with LUS FAs or on widebodies, in my experience.

I noticed many -more- FAs doing it during the earlier stages of COVID, presumably to minimize interactions with passengers, but wouldn’t be surprised to see less of it now, with this apparent war on alcohol.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:54 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
IIRC the two minis thing was largely a LUS thing...I seem to remember a post here years back immediately after the merger that a memo went out to FAs telling them to stop doing that.
apeortdz and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Data point - IAH-MIA : 2 whiskeys given. And 2 more as a refill.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Originally Posted by Antarius
Data point - IAH-MIA : 2 whiskeys given. And 2 more as a refill.
Same experience DFW-CLT on 12/13
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Somewhat similar report here.
You must have run across the same FA.

At least they serve you something though. I can’t imagine those poor folks flying Southwest to Hawaii only having access to a bag of pretzels and a cup of water lol
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by metallo
The two minis thing wasn’t really standard pre-COVID, but it would sometimes happen, usually with LUS FAs or on widebodies, in my experience.

I noticed many -more- FAs doing it during the earlier stages of COVID, presumably to minimize interactions with passengers, but wouldn’t be surprised to see less of it now, with this apparent war on alcohol.
Originally Posted by CLT
IIRC the two minis thing was largely a LUS thing...I seem to remember a post here years back immediately after the merger that a memo went out to FAs telling them to stop doing that.

Yes, definitely matches my experience as well pre-COVID. Was not common on legacy AA domestically. Slightly more common in international J (and widebodies) due to the length of time to complete the initial beverage service in the cabin. Much more common domestically with legacy US FAs.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx
You must have run across the same FA.

At least they serve you something though. I can’t imagine those poor folks flying Southwest to Hawaii only having access to a bag of pretzels and a cup of water lol
Southwest is now serving an almost full pre-Covid beverage menu.... minus alcohol.

As of a few days ago... the offerings were:

Coke, Diet Coke, 7 Up, Ginger Ale, Water, Seltzer Water, Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice and coffee.....

Plus the Hawaii flights have a tad bit more than just pretzels.
aamilesslave likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 31, 2021 at 4:07 pm Reason: Removed unwelcoming content
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some airlines do have a "one drink at a time" policy, but it's never been clear to me whether a double (two mini bottles of alcohol) counts as one drink or two.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Pre-COVID, AA used to sell half bottles (375ml) of surprisingly drinkable wine in Y on the premium transcon and midcon-Hawaii routes. That's definitely at least two drinks worth of alcohol served at the same time.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Somewhat related to this conversation: apparently supply chain issues have affected the plastic cups! Hard to tell from the picture, but on American Eagle (Republic) 7 December (RDU-JFK), my drink was served in an abnormally small cup and FA said it was because they could not get a supply of the regular ones. This meant that basically I was drinking gin on the rocks as there was maybe a splash of tonic at best. I think there’s a simple solution to this: bring back glassware!

Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by metallo
Sounds like a very awkward FA.

I think your comment is a good observation and fair one. Maybe I have just been spoiled. But I would say 9 out of 10 flights this year, I got glass of ice, 2 mini’s and the can.
So it comes to a point where maybe AA should standardise the offering. Order a G&T, you get a G&T in a glass. Job done. Rather than bending rules offering minis and cans on the side.

Just one of those things that makes flying a fun lottery - what to get/not to get and gives us a great reason for FT and an outlet to have a moan about it! 😂
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Somewhat related to this conversation: apparently supply chain issues have affected the plastic cups! Hard to tell from the picture, but on American Eagle (Republic) 7 December (RDU-JFK), my drink was served in an abnormally small cup and FA said it was because they could not get a supply of the regular ones. This meant that basically I was drinking gin on the rocks as there was maybe a splash of tonic at best. I think there’s a simple solution to this: bring back glassware!

you might be right about supply chain issues. My flight up to PHL from MIA on Tuesday morning it was paper cups for coffee tea etc.
But last night on the return, it was china cups for tea coffee….. i guess some jams in the chain at some points….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.