Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two drink limit in First? Policy or rubbish?

Old Dec 3, 21, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Flew F DSM-MIA last Friday on AA 3522 (Envoy). Flight is listed as 3 hours 14 minutes. With about an hour to go in the flight I tried to order a 3rd Bloody Mary and was informed by the flight attendant that there was a 2 drink maximum. She was very apologetic and said it was not her policy but it was AA policy because of Covid. I've been on several AA flights since Covid and I've not heard of this policy before. Did I get a rogue flight attendant or is this a policy I'm not aware of? She was very nice about it and even offered to get me anything non-alcoholic that I wanted so it didn't seem like she was being lazy.

Last edited by F16wannabe; Dec 3, 21 at 8:53 pm
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm going with rogue FA. There's no drink limit, although per the FARs FAs cannot serve anyone who appears intoxicated. That being said, IMO, 3 drinks on a 3+ hr flight is not excessive. I've even encountered AA FAs who refuse to do any alcohol service in F during COVID. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; Dec 3, 21 at 8:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA PlatPro, UA Premier
This would be news to me. On nearly every flight, when I order a Woodford, they bring me two minis at a time.
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you say she was more of a pinkish or purplish rouge?
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Would you say she was more of a pinkish or purplish rouge?
Haha. Good catch.
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wow....DSM-MIA on an Envoy regional jet? That's a long flight on a small, cramped aircraft....
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Wow....DSM-MIA on an Envoy regional jet? That's a long flight on a small, cramped aircraft....
think thats on an E175. 1-4A are about my favorite narrow body seats in the fleet.
cblaisd, SK, clbish and 16 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Good catch, I fixed my goof. Clever comment also!
Old Dec 3, 21, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Not awful in F. Except when the FA will only serve you 2 Bloody Marys!
Old Dec 3, 21, 9:07 pm

Somewhat similar report here.
Old Dec 3, 21, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro ,Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw View Post
think thats on an E175. 1-4A are about my favorite narrow body seats in the fleet.
youre mad. Definitely A side but 1A for the staring at a wall of privacy or 4A for guilt free seat recline.
Old Dec 3, 21, 9:44 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican View Post
youre mad. Definitely A side but 1A for the staring at a wall of privacy or 4A for guilt free seat recline.
Guilt-laden seat recline is for Y, Not F.
ijgordon, renila, cmd320 and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 21, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Its for sure not a policy, there is no 2 drink limit but FAs have discretion to cut passengers off if they think they are intoxicated. I wasn't there so not saying you were but....."we have a 2 drink limit" is something I could see a FA saying as a proxy for they thought you'd had enough as people who are drunk typically don't like to be told they're drunk and IME will argue that they aren't so referencing a policy is an easy out. Only you know if 2 bloodies is enough to get you to a point that the FA would think this.
Old Dec 4, 21, 1:03 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by F16wannabe View Post
Flew F DSM-MIA last Friday on AA 3522 (Envoy). Flight is listed as 3 hours 14 minutes. With about an hour to go in the flight I tried to order a 3rd Bloody Mary and was informed by the flight attendant that there was a 2 drink maximum. She was very apologetic and said it was not her policy but it was AA policy because of Covid. I've been on several AA flights since Covid and I've not heard of this policy before. Did I get a rogue flight attendant or is this a policy I'm not aware of? She was very nice about it and even offered to get me anything non-alcoholic that I wanted so it didn't seem like she was being lazy.
Utterly ridiculous, unless you were significantly intoxicated, in which case it would be purely an excuse to be used instead of confronting you directly. Id suggest reflecting on your demeanor if you werent outright drunk, they were messing with you and failing to provide the proper service.

Keep in mind that FA assessment of drunkenness is highly subjective a teetotaler might think that 2 drinks in an hour are way beyond reasonable, whereas the average F/J flyer may think thats perfectly fine.
Old Dec 4, 21, 1:23 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + UA Plat + AS MVP 75k Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
While we all know our bloundaries (or is it boundaries?) when in flight crew is always righteven when they are wrong.

e.g. flew Polaris United SFO-EWR earlier this year, had nothing to drink before flight, and could not get a third beer. Neither could anyone else in the cabin. After three hours you can deny one passenger a drink for being over served.but a whole diverse cabin?

This is yet another example of why people should not pay F.

Search this Thread