Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
what's passive aggressive / anal retentive?
OP got the AS code correct, I doubt anyone including yourself didn't know what airline OP was talking about.
But thanks for helping
Your equally passive response is noted. The OP would likely face ridicule from staff and others at AS for calling it Alaskan if this thread had not shined light on the fact that it’s “Alaska”
Ty Vil likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Your equally passive response is noted. The OP would likely face ridicule from staff and others at AS for calling it Alaskan if this thread had not shined light on the fact that it’s “Alaska”
Typically surly AA staff might ridicule someone for calling them America Airlines, but AS would without a doubt politely correct calling them Alaskan.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
A Oneworld partner of BritAir....
Also of Quantas.
Spiff and Ty Vil like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Typically surly AA staff might ridicule someone for calling them America Airlines, but AS would without a doubt politely correct calling them Alaskan.
Not from what I've seen personally nor from what my friends who work for AS/QX have said.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:31 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
What about saying McGee Airways?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:24 am

Question on new AA/AS partnership

Trying to figure out: Would I receive AA EQMs on an AS flight, that does not appear to be an AA codeshare? Thanks. Specific flight is AS 1097, Fare Code C. Hoping the answer is "Yes and would receive 1.5x EQMs". Confused because some of the verbiage seems to conflict.

This verbiage seems to imply "YES":To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights as well asAlaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
Minimum EQM guaranteeAAdvantage® members earn a base of 500 EQMs for eligible flights under 500 miles on American and oneworld® airlines; 250 EQMs for flights under 500 miles on Basic Economy fares for travel through December 31, 2020. Starting January 1, 2021, Basic Economy fares won't earn EQMs, EQSs or EQDs. To calculate final EQMs earned, the multiplier for airline and booking code flown is applied to this base. EQMs don't include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage® bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles or GiftMiles.

But this verbiage under the award chart seems to imply "NO" (by exclusion):

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Alaska Airlines will earn AAdvantage® award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:34 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Yes, you will receive 1.5x mileage flown as EQMs, minimum 750 EQMs for flights <500 mi.

The language about "ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight" refers to being booked with an AA flight number.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:55 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Can someone help me understand how many EQM and EQD I would earn on AS in F (I fare) for JFK-SFO round trip? I’m platpro.
If I’m looking to maximize EQD without spending as much, I’m probably better off flying AS than AA or B6 right?
what about for eqm?

Last edited by S.R; Dec 29, 2021 at 4:56 am
Old Dec 29, 2021, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
To answer my own question: While the AA website does not seem to address this obvious question, the AS site does. Companions are covered.
Except for baggage…

From the AS website describing baggage fee waivers:
oneworld elite level members do not receive companion baggage benefits.

Checked in last week - traveling as family of 4. I had booked AS just assuming it would be like other Oneworld flights - bags for everyone. But it was only offering me 2 free bags and wanted to charge for any added for my wife and kids (we had 4 to check total). Thought it had to be a bug until I read the AS website.

Was no issue since I have an AS credit card. Had printed out 2 bag tags when I checked in with my AA number. Went in and checked in again changing to my AS number - and then was able to print free bags for each companion. And on top of that my baggage was locked at 2 free vs reverting to 1 under my AS # - so it would have actually let me have 5 bags if needed (talk about a bug). Then checked in a 3rd time for just me and changed my ff# back to AA for flight credit - which posted fine.

But how did AS get away with joining Oneworld and not providing the baggage waiver to companions in the same reservation as an elite member?

The travel experience itself was great - able to use the elite check-in line and bypass a long line to drop bags; had been able to select preferred seats at booking; and a flight attendant stopped by to find me by name to deliver an upscale little chocolate bar as a thank you for flying AS as a Oneworld elite member.

Last edited by dbuckho; Dec 29, 2021 at 1:21 am
Old Dec 29, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by S.R
Can someone help me understand how many EQM and EQD I would earn on AS in F for JFK-SFO round trip? I’m platpro.
If I’m looking to maximize EQD without spending as much, I’m probably better off flying AS than AA or B6 right?
what about for eqm?
This is going to depend what fare class you’re in.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 4:56 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ty Vil
This is going to depend what fare class you’re in.
I class
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dbuckho
But how did AS get away with joining Oneworld and not providing the baggage waiver to companions in the same reservation as an elite member?
Is that a published oneworld benefit?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Originally Posted by dbuckho
But how did AS get away with joining Oneworld and not providing the baggage waiver to companions in the same reservation as an elite member?.
Is that a published oneworld benefit?
Nothing on *companion* benefits on the OW web site. Some OW airlines offer more than OW benefits.
To many people make big assumptions about OW benefits without providing verifiable proof.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Fair enough on assuming about Oneworld companion benefits. Looking back realizing I have really only flown BA in coach over the years. Many more foreign coach on Star Alliance partners when I had UA status (and never paid for bags on those flights).

In the previous AA-AS partnership, didn’t companions get the AS baggage waiver if on same reservation as an AA elite? We would fly AS to DCA each year and I do not remember paying for bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.