Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:45 am

Upgrade on Alaska

Has anyone else had the same problem as I am experiencing getting on the Upgrade list? I'm a plat Pro, but on my last two Alaska flights I did not show on the upgrade list until the forced it at the gate. By then all of the upgrade first seats were gone to lower tier members. Thoughts?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Earning Loyalty Points on AS (Horizon) flights to/from DAL

I'm looking at flying AS DAL-SFO-DAL in first (D). Looks like I should earn AA loyalty points of 1.5x miles flown (base + cabin bonus). I don't see any exception for Love Field flights, but I thought I remembered there was some issue in the past with earning AA miles on flights out of there. On aa.com, it says you earn on AS if you "fly an eligible route", but I can't find any reference to what would not be an eligible route. Will I be OK with loyalty points here?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Chapie
Has anyone else had the same problem as I am experiencing getting on the Upgrade list? I'm a plat Pro, but on my last two Alaska flights I did not show on the upgrade list until the forced it at the gate. By then all of the upgrade first seats were gone to lower tier members. Thoughts?
I called to get myself added 24 hours before flight, but it didn't register when I asked at check-in counter so they added me then. Not as good as early windows, but better than at gate.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
AS booking ("Loyalty")

If I fly on AS, do I get AA loyalty points? How does it work, is it based on fare? Do I just put my AA number in when I buy my ticket?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
If I fly on AS, do I get AA loyalty points? How does it work, is it based on fare? Do I just put my AA number in when I buy my ticket?
Earnings on AS will depend on flight distance, AAdvantage status, and booking class, not fare paid. Just ensure that your AAdvantage number is in your AS reservation record, and appears on your AS boarding passes

AA earnings chart for travel on AS here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

AAdvantage status bonuses detailed here:

https://exploreamerican.com/newaadvantage/

(Scroll down to "Level up faster.")
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the flight you buy is AA marketed (flight number) / AS operated [codeshare] you will earn as an AA flight.
Just enter your AAdvantage ffn when making the booking.
guv1976 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If the flight you buy is AA marketed (flight number) / AS operated [codeshare] you will earn as an AA flight.
Just enter your AAdvantage ffn when making the booking.
I'm assuming it is not AA marketed. It's a bit confusing because the table says you get miles based on fare and distance, but the AA page "Level Up Faster" says you get loyalty points based on fare.

Say I'm EXP and buy a ticket in fare class I, and the ticket is 250 miles and $150 (exclusive of taxes and fees). As I read it I would get 375 RDM's (250 miles + 50% cabin bonus) and 1650 loyalty points. Is this correct?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:36 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I'm assuming it is not AA marketed. It's a bit confusing because the table says you get miles based on fare and distance, but the AA page "Level Up Faster" says you get loyalty points based on fare.

Say I'm EXP and buy a ticket in fare class I, and the ticket is 250 miles and $150 (exclusive of taxes and fees). As I read it I would get 375 RDM's (250 miles + 50% cabin bonus) and 1650 loyalty points. Is this correct?
You'll get 100% + 50% cabin bonus + 120% EXP bonus = 270% of distance flown as both loyalty points and RDMs as an EXP in I class on an AS-marketed flight. For a 250 mile flight, this will be 675 RDMs and LP.

If you buy this flight as an AA* codeshare (if available) you will earn 11x fare or 1650 RDMs and LP.

AA does not have access to the fare information of AS-marketed flights, which is why they have to assess both RDMs and LPs as a multiple of distance flown.
Mwenenzi and Kawliga like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm assuming it is not AA marketed. It's a bit confusing because the table says you get miles based on fare and distance
The AAdvantage table for AS does not say that. It says:

"The number of miles you earn depends on the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket." (Emphasis added.)
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
The AAdvantage table for AS does not say that. It says:
"The number of miles you earn depends on the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket." (Emphasis added.)
Fare class is a letter: A, F, J, D Y L or what ever that indicates the "fare booking class". Not the $$ amount.
VFR likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Award tickets - upgrade

If I book award tickets do AA EXP's receive upgrades like on AA or not for award tickets on Alaska ?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by chitink
If I book award tickets do AA EXP's receive upgrades like on AA or not for award tickets on Alaska ?
They are upgrade eligible.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Premium Class seats at booking

Not sure if this has been covered already but thought I'd share the following data point: I booked my wife and I on an AS flight on the AS website, with her AA Plat FF number for her and my AS FF number (no status) for me (same locator; used companion fare). After ticket purchase, we were able to select Premium class seats for both of us on all legs of our itinerary for no cost.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Not sure if this has been covered already but thought I'd share the following data point: I booked my wife and I on an AS flight on the AS website, with her AA Plat FF number for her and my AS FF number (no status) for me (same locator; used companion fare). After ticket purchase, we were able to select Premium class seats for both of us on all legs of our itinerary for no cost.
What fare class did you purchase? AS 75K/100K (AA CK, EXP, PPRO) can select Premium Class on any non-Saver Main cabin fare. In the case of AA Elites, seat selection in Premium Class is available after purchase. Equivalent AS Elites can choose during booking.

AS MVPG & MVP can select Premium Class during booking only on eligible higher fare classes, status dependant. For an AA Platinum, not on an eligible fare class, Premium Class would be a waitlisted upgrade or you can choose your own Premium Class seats when the MVPG/Platinum window opens 72 hours before departure.

MVPG+(Platinum+) have the benefit of upgrading one & only one companion in the same PNR.

You don't mention how soon after purchase the flights would be flown. If the purchase was within 72 hours of departure, Premium Class on any non-Saver fare class would be available by virtue of of the AA Platinum Status and extended to one companion in the same PNR.

If the purchase is more than 72 hours from flight time then the ability to choose Premium Class immediately after purchase infers the fare class purchased must be an eligible fare class for MVPG/Platinum.

James
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Has anyone had issues with AS flights posting the last few weeks since the change to LPs? I flew AS on 3/10 and 3/14 but they didn't post last night as I was expecting (both me and others have seen AS flights post on Tuesday nights as confirmed in previous posts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.