Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
First time flying Alaska since LP was implemented. For a trip on a "D" fare, it states earning 100% base miles and 50% cabin bonus. Does this mean for a 1,000 mile trip, it would earn 1,500 miles and 1,500 LP's? And there are no status bonuses?

Thanks!
-Matt
lpcalculator.com is your friend.

As an EXP, flying AS on D fare for a distance of 1000 miles, you will get 2700LP: base miles 100% of miles flown, a cabin bonus 50% of base miles, a status bonus 120% of base miles.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
lpcalculator.com is your friend.

As an EXP, flying AS on D fare for a distance of 1000 miles, you will get 2700LP: base miles 100% of miles flown, a cabin bonus 50% of base miles, a status bonus 120% of base miles.
Thanks! That's a great site!
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I am AA Exec Plat. I am ticketed in N fare class on an Alaska Airlines flight JFK to SFO. The system is trying to charge me $135 for a premium class seat. Is that correct?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I am AA Exec Plat. I am ticketed in N fare class on an Alaska Airlines flight JFK to SFO. The system is trying to charge me $135 for a premium class seat. Is that correct?
No, but there's been a few times when the system has tried to charge me after ticketing, especially if it's after I do a flight change. Most of the time it clears up after a few minutes, but in a few cases it does not.

When that happens, I just chat or text AS, and they gladly assign me the PC seat that I want.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by econ
No, but there's been a few times when the system has tried to charge me after ticketing, especially if it's after I do a flight change. Most of the time it clears up after a few minutes, but in a few cases it does not.

When that happens, I just chat or text AS, and they gladly assign me the PC seat that I want.
Yeah, this was a flight change and it didn't clear up after a few hours. Fortunately, the price was the same so I rebooked with AS Wallet funds and on the new itinerary I had no problem getting premium class.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Yeah, this was a flight change and it didn't clear up after a few hours. Fortunately, the price was the same so I rebooked with AS Wallet funds and on the new itinerary I had no problem getting premium class.
Makes sense. I've had this happen a few times after doing SDC also, so rebooking at the same price usually isn't an option by then.

For some reason, the process of getting complimentary PC seats doesn't work consistently with flight changes. What was strange was that even when it tried to charge me for PC seats, the message that I'm waitlisted for First re-appeared, so it still recognized my AA status.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
What you need to do is pick any old seat in regular coach. Complete buying the ticket. Then go back in, "change seat", and you should be able to choose the PC for no cost.

And of course, so I hate to ask, but you do have your AA number in the reservation, right?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by MarkY123
Complimentary Premium Class seats are available to AA Platinum status members as follows: Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S or N fares after ticket purchase; all other fares at 72 hours before departure; Alaska Airlines Saver Fares (booked in ‘X’) are NOT eligible. @TravelinSperry, what is your fare class and are you at the 72 hour mark?
MarkY123, is that list of fare classes for PC eligibility/timing still accurate? I just bought two one-way tickets on AS for a trip in June/July, online. One booked into L and I was able to get an AS phone agent to move me into a PC seat a minute later; the other booked into V and a (different) phone agent said that I'd have to call for the upgrade no earlier than 5 days before the flight. I did provide my OWE (BA) FF number when I was doing the booking, and in neither case was I able to book the upgraded seat online--I had to call. But if your info is correct, I should be able to get the PC seat on the V ticket now, not 5 days before the flight. Should I call AS back and make a stink?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What you need to do is pick any old seat in regular coach. Complete buying the ticket. Then go back in, "change seat", and you should be able to choose the PC for no cost.

And of course, so I hate to ask, but you do have your AA number in the reservation, right?
Thanks. Yes, the AA no. was in the reservation, and the picking the seat part was after I already had bought the ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 10:00 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
FWIW, the last few times I've flown on AS metal the flights have posted to my AAdvantage account before I've even boarded the plane.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by aau
FWIW, the last few times I've flown on AS metal the flights have posted to my AAdvantage account before I've even boarded the plane.
And we've been the opposite - I usually have my AS number in, my husband his AA - my miles post to AS within a day or two, my husband's AA miles have often taken more than a week.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:51 pm

Hello travelmad478 , I have no recent experience with this but according to https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp, the fare classes are still the same:
Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S or N fares after ticket purchase; all other fares at 72 hours before departure
with the following footnotes:
**Alaska Airlines Saver Fares (booked in ‘X’) aren’t eligible for upgrades to First Class or access to preferred or Premium Class seats.
^AAdvantage® status members can upgrade 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation.
There is also a section describing the process for Immediate access to Premium Class seats and Waitlisting for Premium Class seats.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
MarkY123, is that list of fare classes for PC eligibility/timing still accurate? I just bought two one-way tickets on AS for a trip in June/July, online. One booked into L and I was able to get an AS phone agent to move me into a PC seat a minute later; the other booked into V and a (different) phone agent said that I'd have to call for the upgrade no earlier than 5 days before the flight. I did provide my OWE (BA) FF number when I was doing the booking, and in neither case was I able to book the upgraded seat online--I had to call. But if your info is correct, I should be able to get the PC seat on the V ticket now, not 5 days before the flight. Should I call AS back and make a stink?
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarkY123
Hello travelmad478 , I have no recent experience with this but... ​​​​​​​
Thanks for that detailed response! Even before you wrote it, I decided to take another whack at AS's phone line but before doing so, went back to look at my two bookings--and magically, the one that I was told wasn't available for upgrade until T minus 5 days had, in fact, already been upgraded! So I didn't even have to call.

The one other thing I realized upon re-reading your original post was that it referred to AA EXPs, whereas I am a BA Gold (same OWE level, but maybe not running according to the same rules on AS???) Anyway, it's all a moot point now. Yay!
MarkY123 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Thanks for that detailed response! Even before you wrote it, I decided to take another whack at AS's phone line but before doing so, went back to look at my two bookings--and magically, the one that I was told wasn't available for upgrade until T minus 5 days had, in fact, already been upgraded! So I didn't even have to call.

The one other thing I realized upon re-reading your original post was that it referred to AA EXPs, whereas I am a BA Gold (same OWE level, but maybe not running according to the same rules on AS???) Anyway, it's all a moot point now. Yay!
It very much matters that you’re not an AS or AA elite. Premium class upgrades are not, AFAIK, a oneworld benefit. They are a benefit for AS members, and AS and AA have a bilateral agreement for upgrades that is not related to oneworld. So sometimes nice things happen, but I don’t think there is any policy that gives BA elites access to Premium Class.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Premium class upgrades are not, AFAIK, a oneworld benefit.
According to Alaska’s website, and to the two Alaska phone agents I spoke to, they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.