Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:53 am

Complimentary Premium Class seats are available to AA Platinum status members as follows: Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S or N fares after ticket purchase; all other fares at 72 hours before departure; Alaska Airlines Saver Fares (booked in ‘X’) are NOT eligible. @TravelinSperry, what is your fare class and are you at the 72 hour mark?

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So Premium Class is showing for me, but with a $149 charge. As an AA Platinum I thought (via reading the link above) that it would be complimentary. However perhaps it's only complimentary if seats are avail 48 hours in advance of flight departure?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MarkY123
Complimentary Premium Class seats are available to AA Platinum status members as follows: Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, S or N fares after ticket purchase; all other fares at 72 hours before departure; Alaska Airlines Saver Fares (booked in ‘X’) are NOT eligible. @TravelinSperry, what is your fare class and are you at the 72 hour mark?
My class is N fare. I am supposed to receive free premium seats... but it shows a $149 fee.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:58 am

That is odd. Did you add your AAdvantage account number to the reservation at the time of purchase? I would contact AS to sort it out.
My class is N fare. I am supposed to receive free premium seats... but it shows a $149 fee.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by SFflyer20
I think this may already be happening - my husband and I were upgraded almost 72 hours out for yesterday's PDX-SFO return trip.
Did you get it on the outbound? It certainly was not happening on 8/20 when I flew. But in any case, splitting hairs, happy to see that it's happening now.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MarkY123
That is odd. Did you add your AAdvantage account number to the reservation at the time of purchase? I would contact AS to sort it out.
Yes, my AA # is added (and was at time of purchase). I did book with a companion who is not an AA Elite. Perhaps the system can't differentiate? Alternatively, perhaps their system shows a fee and then as you move through the process it is waived or disappears?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:25 am

I wonder if the $149 is for the companion? I believe that having a non-elite companion on the same PNR creates problems with various upgrade instruments on AA metal (I think I read FT posts recommending splitting the PNR) and I wouldn't be surprised if the same issue occurred on partner flights as well. Hopefully, companions will have access to Premium Class soon.

Yes, my AA # is added (and was at time of purchase). I did book with a companion who is not an AA Elite. Perhaps the system can't differentiate? Alternatively, perhaps their system shows a fee and then as you move through the process it is waived or disappears?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Ok, that is some additional context and that is probably your answer. Again, if you reference the link that was provided and review the footnotes that are attached to the "Complimentary Premium Class seats" benefit, it clearly states at the bottom:

"^Initially this benefit only applies to the AAdvantage® status member. Later, AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro® and AAdvantage Platinum® members will be able to extend this benefit to 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation." (emphasis added)

I'm not sure if the system will let you put the status member (yourself) in Premium Class and not the other party on the PNR, but I suspect this may be your issue.

To date, "later" still has not been firmly defined but there seem to be some rumors that its coming soon.

Regards
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Anyone have experience getting a first class upgrade when flying on AS Metal/flight on an AA award booking, that also happens to include an AA flight segment also?

I recently received a confirmed upgrade at T24 as an AA PPro on an AS award booked with AS miles, so I know that works (and was great). Just wondering if paying with AA miles for an AS flight would change that for any reason.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT
AA elite flying on Alaska?

Hi, am I correct in thinking that if I fly LAX-EWR with Alaska, instead of LAX-JFK with American, I will accrue more mileage as Alaska is distance based while AA is spend-based? I’m an AA lifetime platinum but I don’t think I’ve flown domestically since there’s been a One World alternative to American in the US!
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
Hi, am I correct in thinking that if I fly LAX-EWR with Alaska, instead of LAX-JFK with American, I will accrue more mileage as Alaska is distance based while AA is spend-based? I’m an AA lifetime platinum but I don’t think I’ve flown domestically since there’s been a One World alternative to American in the US!
The answer to that question depends on how much you would spend on an AA ticket, and what class of service and booking code your AS flight would be ticketed in.

AAdvantage earnings chart for AS here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

(Don't forget to add in your elite-status bonus if flying AS.)
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I've flown LAS-LAX on AS a few times this year, and have gotten only 130 miles/LP's. I think it's like 0.5 per mile flown, at least for the tickets I bought, much less than I'd get on AA. But the tickets were half the price so worth it.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Just bumping this thread with the good news that, on a flight booked yesterday departing Sept 29, I and my companion are both shown as "waitlisted for First Class" automatically upon booking. It's been a couple of months since I've flown AS, so maybe this isn't new, but I hadn't seen any reports of companion upgrades (other than at the discretion of gate agents sometimes adding the companion to the waitlist). Fingers crossed - it's about g*dd*mn time!
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Just bumping this thread with the good news that, on a flight booked yesterday departing Sept 29, I and my companion are both shown as "waitlisted for First Class" automatically upon booking. It's been a couple of months since I've flown AS, so maybe this isn't new, but I hadn't seen any reports of companion upgrades (other than at the discretion of gate agents sometimes adding the companion to the waitlist). Fingers crossed - it's about g*dd*mn time!
I am seeing that too for my reservation dfw-sea and back next week. If I clear an AS flight to SEA I will be amazed consider out of 8 AA flights this year to Seattle I have only cleared on one and that was at gate.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
AA Points Flying on AS

I am Platinum Pro. If I book first class flights on AS using the AS website (not on AA codeshare) and put in my AA AAdvantage number to accrue AA miles, how many AA miles will I get? Example SMF-SEA (606 actual miles).
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I am Platinum Pro. If I book first class flights on AS using the AS website (not on AA codeshare) and put in my AA AAdvantage number to accrue AA miles, how many AA miles will I get? Example SMF-SEA (606 actual miles).
https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.