Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by dw
My understanding is that the answer is no, it doesn’t apply to others on the reservation; and also if he is on the same reservation as non status holders, he also will not be able to select a Premium Seat himself online unless he asks Alaska to split the reservation.
Oh well, I knew it was too good to be true.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
LP earning on mixed metal itinerary

I purchased a trip PHL to FAI on the Alaska Airlines site. The first and last legs of the trip are PHL-ORD and ORD-PHL on AA metal with AS flight numbers. All other legs are on AS metal with AS flight numbers.

I'm crediting the trip to my AA account, and I know that I should receive Loyalty Points for the AA metal flights based on distance, not on fare. However, when pull up the trip on the AA site using the AA PNR it shows the AA legs with AA flight numbers. It also shows the total fare I paid to AS, so AA knows what I paid for the trip.

Any experiences with earning LPs on mixed metal trips purchased through AS? Will I receive LPs for the AA metal legs based on distance, or based on the portion of the fare that AS paid to AA?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Any updates on companion upgrades on Alaska? They said "later this year" last year, and now the language just says "later".

I've had a few flights with a companion (using the Alaska companion pass), it seems like Alaska won't ever process an upgrade automatically if I have a companion in the same reservation, even an upgrade for just me. I have once successfully gotten the gate agent to add me to the upgrade list, but all the upgrades were already processed by that time.

When I'm in a reservation by myself, I always have my upgrade cleared a few days in advance for both AS- and AA-coded flights. It would be great if I could get a companion upgraded or at the very least me.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey
at the very least me.
I know this doesn't answer your greater question about the timeline of companion upgrades, but even AS members can't get just themselves upgraded if they're on the same reservation with another passenger. It's both or nothing. And unfortunately, the AS upgrade processor is notoriously wonky when upgrading passengers on the same reservation. It often releases one seat at a time, which means if a couple traveling on the same reservation is sitting in spots number one and number two on the waitlist, they'll be skipped over in favor of the single passengers behind them in slots number three and four. To maximize your chance of an upgrade, it's prudent to spit reservations from your companion if possible.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Question

I used my Alaska Miles to book an AA flight for both me and my husband, mostly because my AS miles had just been sitting there collecting dust waiting to be expired. We are both lowly AA Gold members. I cannot find out if I can or cannot bring a full sized carry-on in addition to my personal item. Alaska's website said I should check AA's website, but there is no carry-on info on the AA website. Does anyone know?

Reading through the link below, it says AA Gold is eligible for Priority check-in and boarding, Priority security and Preferred seating (with asterisks). I assume this only applies if I had used my AS miles to fly on AS metal?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I purchased a trip PHL to FAI on the Alaska Airlines site. The first and last legs of the trip are PHL-ORD and ORD-PHL on AA metal with AS flight numbers. All other legs are on AS metal with AS flight numbers.

I'm crediting the trip to my AA account, and I know that I should receive Loyalty Points for the AA metal flights based on distance, not on fare. However, when pull up the trip on the AA site using the AA PNR it shows the AA legs with AA flight numbers. It also shows the total fare I paid to AS, so AA knows what I paid for the trip.

Any experiences with earning LPs on mixed metal trips purchased through AS? Will I receive LPs for the AA metal legs based on distance, or based on the portion of the fare that AS paid to AA?
Even if AA.com shows the AA flight number, the AAdvantage earnings will correctly follow the codeshare marketing carrier from your actual ticket purchase.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by happychic
I used my Alaska Miles to book an AA flight for both me and my husband, mostly because my AS miles had just been sitting there collecting dust waiting to be expired. We are both lowly AA Gold members. I cannot find out if I can or cannot bring a full sized carry-on in addition to my personal item. Alaska's website said I should check AA's website, but there is no carry-on info on the AA website. Does anyone know?

Reading through the link below, it says AA Gold is eligible for Priority check-in and boarding, Priority security and Preferred seating (with asterisks). I assume this only applies if I had used my AS miles to fly on AS metal?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp
Yes. Both AA and AS allow you to carry one personal item and one carry-on aboard. As far as your other question, your benefits will correspond with whatever mileage plan you're crediting the flight to.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
Yes. Both AA and AS allow you to carry one personal item and one carry-on aboard. As far as your other question, your benefits will correspond with whatever mileage plan you're crediting the flight to.
I have no status with Alaska Airline so I guess I will not have the preferred seating and the works. Thank you for your speedy response.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:07 pm

I have no status with Alaska Airline so I guess I will not have the preferred seating and the works. Thank you for your speedy response.
Did you use your AS mileage plan number? If so, that's the case. However, if you use your AA plan number your status benefits will apply. I've heard of people doing this by creating a new passenger (still themselves) with their AA number in their AS account and then booking the ticket for that "new" passenger. You'd have to cancel your current ticket and rebook it, though.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:14 pm

Would it be possible to contact AS and ask for your AAdvantage account number to be added to your PNR? As others have said, you can't apply benefits from both frequent flyer programs. It's either or...

Did you use your AS mileage plan number? If so, that's the case. However, if you use your AA plan number your status benefits will apply. I've heard of people doing this by creating a new passenger (still themselves) with their AA number in their AS account and then booking the ticket for that "new" passenger. You'd have to cancel your current ticket and rebook it, though.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarkY123
Would it be possible to contact AS and ask for your AAdvantage account number to be added to your PNR? As others have said, you can't apply benefits from both frequent flyer programs. It's either or...
I've heard other pax have had problems getting reps to do this for them for tickets booked with miles in the past. Still, as with anything involving humans, it probably depends on who you talk to. If hold times aren't too ridiculous, it's worth a try.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarkY123

Since I am using my Alaska miles is there anyway I can add my AAdvantage account number? I did not think this was possible.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:22 pm

Since I am using my Alaska miles is there anyway I can add my AAdvantage account number? I did not think this was possible.
I explained how in the post you quoted above.
happychic likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:30 pm

I explained how in the post you quoted above.
Thank you again.
SeaLuggageLover likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Last time I booked an AS mileage ticket, it would not allow one to enter a non-AS FFN. So one would have to contact AS after booking anyways.

If I want to use another FFP, I do book as a new traveller and leave the FFN field blank, since I figure that it’s always more straightforward to add a FFN later than to replace one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.