Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American and Alaska / AS earnings and elite benefits as of 31 Mar 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hedoman
Flew AS yesterday SEA-RNO. As a lowly Sapphire, I was treated like a king. Purchased 2nd tier coach and selected main cabin seat. Two days later, assigned a great premium seat. Upgraded to F at the gate.
"You're Sapphire, WOW!" Was basic treatment by GA and FA. Five minute conversation initiated by FA that happened to be young and very attractive....like AA might have had forty years ago. Obviously, a memo was sent out to really welcome OneWorld elites. It was a positive flying experience rarely had nowadays. I'd suggest AA elites check out AS while this royal treatment exists.

Added bonus.....one empty seat in F....the one next to me.
I'm guessing that empty seat next to you was 1C? That seat is blocked on the E175s and Airbus aircraft due to COVID. The flight crew was technically not an AS crew...either Horizon Air if the flight number started with a 2 or Skywest if it started with a 3.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by safari ari
Anyone have an issue getting PE seats after purchasing a ticket? It keeps asking for payment when I go back into the reservation, and this isn't the first time.
You won't be able to select a Premium seat on AS during the booking process. But a bit later after booking, AS will upgrade your seat to Premium; after that, you can go in and change your seat to another Premium seat.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by safari ari
Does any other EXP have an issue selecting a PE seat on AS after purchasing the ticket? This is the third time in a month it keeps wanting to charge me.
It doesn't happen right away, but after some time, AS will upgrade you to a Premium seat. After that, you can go change your Premium seat for free. For example, after booking, I am able to go to the AS site the next day and see my Premium seat.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Anyone have experience now with what happens to a non status companion when flying on a reservation with an EXP on AS? Is the reservation eligible for E+ upgrades for all or none or only the EXP?

Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
Anyone have experience now with what happens to a non status companion when flying on a reservation with an EXP on AS? Is the reservation eligible for E+ upgrades for all or none or only the EXP?

Thanks
AS Premium & First Class for AA Elites

Currently, access to AS Premium seating applies to the AA elite status member only, after they have purchased an eligible fare. Later, the AA Elite member will be able to extend the benefit to 1 companion on the same PNR.

^Initially this benefit only applies to the elite status member. Later, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members will be able to extend this benefit to 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation.
Spoiler

James
Spanish likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 30, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Old May 1, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Thanks, yeah I saw that I guess does it all work in theory is my real question? Like will it upgrade the EXP on the reservation to E+ automatically? Does it break the rest of the reservation? Perhaps I am just used to UA/AA and all sort of weird issues when traveling with non status companions and upgrades.
Old May 1, 2021, 2:17 pm

Thanks, yeah I saw that I guess does it all work in theory is my real question? Like will it upgrade the EXP on the reservation to E+ automatically? Does it break the rest of the reservation? Perhaps I am just used to UA/AA and all sort of weird issues when traveling with non status companions and upgrades.
All non-Saver (X) fares on AS are eligible fares for MVPG75K & EXP Elites. For MVPG75K, you can select Premium during the booking process, for EXP, after the itinerary is purchased. Premium is akin to MCE, not a seperate cabin. Essentially, Premium is a seat assignment for a fee. Any passenger can pay the fee and choose a Premium seat on non-Saver fares.

The fee is waved for Elites at the time of booking if they purchase an eligible fare. If Elites purchase an ineligible fare, they can choose Premium seating when their upgrade window opens.

Since the "upgrade" is really a seat assignment, I don't see how an itinerary could break. "Upgrades" will process automatically but based on your Main cabin seat selection, you could hinder that. You won't be automatically "upgraded" if you choose an exit row. Similarly, you would only be "upgraded" from a window to a window or an isle to an isle, therefore, if you choose a window in Main, you won't be automatically "upgraded" to an isle & vise versa.

Some AS Elites on ineligible fares will "opt out" of the "upgrade" because they don't want to be moved from a window or isle to a Premium middle seat (Premium middle seats continue to be blocked through May 31st) and will choose to, or not to, "upgrade" themselves at the upgrade window depending on what Premium seats are available. Opting out does not make you ineligible to choose a Premium seat, it only excludes you from the automated process.

James
adambadam likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
UG cleared beyond the 120 hour mark that is the window for 75Ks.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Any data points on how long it takes for a Horizon flight to post to AAdvantage? 5 days and still nothing. I entered my AA FFN during checkin and boarding pass shows OWE.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by houstr8male
Any data points on how long it takes for a Horizon flight to post to AAdvantage? 5 days and still nothing. I entered my AA FFN during checkin and boarding pass shows OWE.
I flew SkyWest last week (Alaska flight number) and it posted to AAdvantage the next day. I also was sure that it’s not going to post at all since I though you only earn on Alaska marketed and operated (plus Horizon)
Old May 3, 2021, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by houstr8male
I believe AS operated flights post to AAdvantage once per week overnight Tuesday. You should see it posted Wednesday morning.

James
houstr8male likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:39 am

Red face

DP: Booked main cabin (non saver fare) for me (EXP) and non status companion. About 10 mins after booking, and reserving two seats in the back (non exit row) it upgraded both of us to Premium Cabin. Color me delightfully amused.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA PL
Originally Posted by Tack
Great advice! I’ve moved some premium flying to AS this year. LAX-EWR/JFK a couple of times and AS LAX-ANC. Total cost for all three rt FC flights? 1900.00. Total EQD’s earned? $4385.00 I’ll requal for EP by June and I’ve got a ton of AA flying left. AS is a great alternative. And their FC, though domestic is pretty decent.
sorry for the noob question but trying to confirm. AS flights credited to AAdvantage for EQDs you earn the percentage based off the fare of the distance flown? Am I understanding that correctly?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by rcarteraz
sorry for the noob question but trying to confirm. AS flights credited to AAdvantage for EQDs you earn the percentage based off the fare of the distance flown? Am I understanding that correctly?
If the flight is AS marketed (not AA codeshare), you should earn based on distance flown.
rcarteraz likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posting time for AS fligths to AAdvantage

Any feel for how long the standard time lag is for mileage from AS flights (AS coded and marketed) to post to one's AAdvantage account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.