Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any potential they extend status again in '21?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any potential they extend status again in '21?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:36 pm
hmv

Don't forget that AA is also trying to turn the sentiment on flying by the way they announce their news that they are going to pull back the stored aircraft:
The retired A330s (24x), 757s (34x), 767s (17x) and 737s (38x) plus the delayed delivery of several 737MAXs have reduced the capacity overall compared to pre-Covid.

By communicating in this way with headlines like "American Airlines Pulling All Planes From Storage" does not mean we are back at the original capacity, but gives share investors and potential travellers the feeling like hey, aviation is back at the same level without diving into the details.
aztimm and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by hmv
Don't forget that AA is also trying to turn the sentiment on flying by the way they announce their news that they are going to pull back the stored aircraft:
The retired A330s (24x), 757s (34x), 767s (17x) and 737s (38x) plus the delayed delivery of several 737MAXs have reduced the capacity overall compared to pre-Covid.

By communicating in this way with headlines like "American Airlines Pulling All Planes From Storage" does not mean we are back at the original capacity, but gives share investors and potential travellers the feeling like hey, aviation is back at the same level without diving into the details.
Maybe I misread your post, missed the news flash, am drunk, or somewhere in between the three but when did AA announce they are recalling stored a/c??
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Maybe I misread your post, missed the news flash, am drunk, or somewhere in between the three but when did AA announce they are recalling stored a/c??
That's the way I read it, not the a/c they put in long term storage because of retirements. Instead the ongoing fleet not being partially parked (other than for normal maintenance). I don't think we will ever see those a/c again. Well maybe as a beer can.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:59 pm
hmv

Maybe some misunderstanding, but I meant the parked aircraft:
American Airlines "Ungrounding" All Planes By May | One Mile at a Time
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Good for them. However people that can afford 5 transatlantic J tickets really don't need to be concerned about any airline's FFP in the first place.
You might be surprised. Perhaps they can afford 5 J tix because they did pay attention to things like FF plans, using them to save $, and saving for retirement for decades. And now if we can get past this pandemic thing, that discipline should pay off for them. One of them is life time gold AA, but it didn't seem to matter to them.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by aztimm
Have you visited any of those airports and seen the aircraft parked?
I have visited MZJ and seen a mass of parked AA CRJs and ERJs there. Also TUS where DL has a ton of parked mainline aircraft.
aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lunchtime
I don't agree at all. Clients don't want site visits and alot of people will be doing a few days a week from home or WFH for a while so it wont be so easy. That's very old thinking. My company has sent much larger gifts to clients then we ever would have been allowed to do because they are saving so much on on travel. No shock people really like gift cards alot and gift baskets. Client retention is the highest ever with more gifts and no person to person visits. Sales like everything else has evolved with technology. I personally have saved a ton of time and will only do price quotes thru email, phone call, or skype. Ive saved a huge amount of time, now way im ever going back. The old system was like buying a car at a dealership vs buying something on amazon. Things are not going back for sales. Maybe a few industries and some huge sales like buying an airplane fleet etc but the vast majority will never go back. Aviation will certainly be hit hard by less business travel
Definitely depends on the industry. My OH works in pharma sales, and most of his clients are labs and universities - who are actively asking him to come and visit when he can. These people also can't work from home.

My client - an automotive manufacturer - has already said they will be going back into the office when allowed, no full time working from home allowed. And once they are back, they will expect me to be on site weekly as I was pre-Covid.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
[QUOTE=Donsyb;33176704]Definitely depends on the industry.

Totally agree. I work in the spirits industry, which (along with the wine and beer industry) has always been a relationship business. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Virtual meetings work well when there is no alternative, however there is no substitute for an in person meeting with a nice lunch or dinner following. Resuming travel next week, and many of my customers expect to open up by June.
GrumpyYoungMan and freeagent like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Business travel domestically is starting to trickle back. Over the past year, most people who were travelling shared my approach of "I'll work remotely, but I will work in a different location each week". Over the past 3 weeks I have spoken to several passengers who were on real business trips. Last night while waiting to board an MIA-DCA flight, I spoke with a Concierge Key member who was had not been on a plane for over 6 months and was doing his first real business trip since the start of the pandemic. Every time I go through CLT lately, both lounges are packed and the concourses are full. The ACs are opening up for more than just service support now. A post earlier in this thread indicates that after May all of temporarily parked B737, 32X, 787, and 777 planes will back flying. I suspect that a significant number of passengers will meet the lowered AAdvantage thresholds this year - probably far more than I would have guessed a few months ago.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:31 am

As has likely been stated elsewhere in this thread, a reasonable percentage of status (especially at the CK/EXP level) is earned with pricey international tickets.

Given that it's hard/impossible to travel to some major business hubs around the world, and that might not change for many, many months, AA can't just lower the thresholds and assume that's a reasonable response. Certainly it's their program and they make the rules, but it seems shortsighted to let a bunch of high spenders become free agents under the circumstances.
hp12c likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:38 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ksweeney
Business travel domestically is starting to trickle back. Over the past year, most people who were travelling shared my approach of "I'll work remotely, but I will work in a different location each week". Over the past 3 weeks I have spoken to several passengers who were on real business trips. Last night while waiting to board an MIA-DCA flight, I spoke with a Concierge Key member who was had not been on a plane for over 6 months and was doing his first real business trip since the start of the pandemic. Every time I go through CLT lately, both lounges are packed and the concourses are full. The ACs are opening up for more than just service support now. A post earlier in this thread indicates that after May all of temporarily parked B737, 32X, 787, and 777 planes will back flying. I suspect that a significant number of passengers will meet the lowered AAdvantage thresholds this year - probably far more than I would have guessed a few months ago.
I agree that business travel is starting to come back. I've begun and so has nearly everyone else in my company. There are a few major hurdles to requalification, though, as I've outlined previously:
1) Fares are dirt cheap
2) No international travel
3) It seems to me that while a lot of leisure-oriented routes have been added, the business-friendly routes have seen quite a few cuts. I am in PHL, and despite its being a hub, there are often more direct DL and UA flights available to my recent destinations (ATL, TPA, RDU, S. FLA) than there are AA flights. I've yet to venture over to the other carriers - shame on me - but anybody with even remotely less interest in maintaining AA status would pick the other carriers in a heartbeat in my situation.

So yes, there might be a significant number of people achieving gold/platinum, but without international travel and high fares on OPM, EXP/CK is still going to be unachievable for most.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by dave_261
As has likely been stated elsewhere in this thread, a reasonable percentage of status (especially at the CK/EXP level) is earned with pricey international tickets.

Given that it's hard/impossible to travel to some major business hubs around the world, and that might not change for many, many months, AA can't just lower the thresholds and assume that's a reasonable response. Certainly it's their program and they make the rules, but it seems shortsighted to let a bunch of high spenders become free agents under the circumstances.
AA (and other airlines) would likely be better off identifying customers that earned status through pricey international tickets and offering them ways to requalify directly rather than blanket extension of status
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Business travel is back. I know because no upgrades clear anymore. It was fun while it lasted!
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Business travel is back. I know because no upgrades clear anymore. It was fun while it lasted!
I don't think business travel is back in any meaningful way. Upgrades aren't clearing because AA is heavily price promoting the domestic F cabin and there's enough paxs more than happy to shell out a couple more hundred of dollars to get out of being shoved into seat 29E.

In fact, as business travelers return they're in for a rude awakening when they find the F cabin is sold out and no upgrades clear.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I don't think business travel is back in any meaningful way. Upgrades aren't clearing because AA is heavily price promoting the domestic F cabin and there's enough paxs more than happy to shell out a couple more hundred of dollars to get of being shoved into seat 29E.

In fact, as business travelers return they're in for a rude awakening when they find the F cabin is sold out and no upgrades clear.
this is exactly what is happening
Uzzar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.