Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any potential they extend status again in '21?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any potential they extend status again in '21?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Adelphos
A lot of people saying they "will go free agent if my airline doesn't do X." Well if none of the airlines do X (and I would bet none of the major US airlines just extend status for a another yet), then the "free agents" will just reallocate themselves among the major US airlines.
Not necessarily, in my case I might match back to UA, or even think about DL for a year, but will make zero effort to requal on them after that, OWE is a huge quality of life improvement over *G. I'll be looking for the easiest OWE balanced with award chart considering my travel patterns, which is probably not AA. The domestic upgrades are nice but not a huge priority for me since I fly domestic very little. My main priorities are lounge, priority boarding, seating when flying economy, and luggage, and I get those being any OWE, doesn't need to be AA. (Of course AA MCE is only a few airlines OWE now, but I reckon I can tolerate preferred seating for the few domestic hours I fly and just won't book AA metal if on international Economy anymore, easy enough to fly BA or IB to South America, same number of hours roughly).

Sure heavy domestic flyers are captive and will float amongst the big 3 (or AS now), but people like myself who log 90% of my miles international, are easy to go Free Agent and restart with a foreign carrier with relatively little impact to my benefits. I think it would be foolish of AA, UA, or DL to cast those people away this year. I expect quite a few of the AA EXPs, DL Diamonds, and UA 1Ks are very international heavy as well.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I expect quite a few of the AA EXPs, DL Diamonds, and UA 1Ks are very international heavy as well.
EXP here, my flying is almost all international. I'd guess less than 10k of my EQM come from domestic flights in a given year.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 11:51 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by 747-800i
EXP here, my flying is almost all international. I'd guess less than 10k of my EQM come from domestic flights in a given year.
Same here.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I qualified last year EXP all CONUS, and will requalify EXP this year in the next 30 days, all CONUS. I would love to qualify on wide body J seats OCONUS, but that is not how my business travel works. I cover 40 US states. Starting this summer, my area of responsibility is should be reduced to 16 states.

All I can say is near every AA flight is currently full. And lots of credit card applications being accepted by PAX. When the stimulus check money runs out, no idea what loads will be. But today... AA planes are FULL.
enviroian and Adelphos like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
I qualified last year EXP all CONUS, and will requalify EXP this year in the next 30 days, all CONUS. I would love to qualify on wide body J seats OCONUS, but that is not how my business travel works. I cover 40 US states. Starting this summer, my area of responsibility is should be reduced to 16 states.

All I can say is near every AA flight is currently full. And lots of credit card applications being accepted by PAX. When the stimulus check money runs out, no idea what loads will be. But today... AA planes are FULL.
There are a lot of prior elites/EXPs that aren't flying now and are wondering what to do regarding status. I think people seem go be ignoring the fact that some people are apparently earning status now, and many more will be flying again relatively soon. And the current customer base can't be all leisure. Maybe there is some new class of elites that are flying now for work and leisure that these airlines need to court rather than those that qualified in 2019.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:09 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Just flew out of PDX this morning, and it is the busiest that I have seen PDX since the pandemic started (I haven't stopped flying since pandemic). AA flights are always full. Connected PHX to HNL, and the flight is full too.

AA has no reason to extend status, as the pandemic is not holding people back from flying, and the volume is ramping back up. The volume definitely won't reach pre-pandemic levels, unless companies return to pre-pandemic level of travel. Had the US limited or made domestic travel difficult secondary to regulations, then I would have expected AA and other airlines to extend status. Doubtful any extension will be given out this year.
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
AA has no reason to extend status
I neither agree or disagree with this comment. It's up to AA what they want to do of course. However if they don't extend status because people are flying so much again then they need to resume service to pre-covid levels, full stop.

Also if UA and DL extend status AA will do so in a microsecond.
355F1 and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
What percentage of AA aircraft are still parked?
It is wonderful that AA and other airlines are able to fully utilize some of their aircraft, but as long as some are still not in use at all, it doesn't really matter that flights that you are on are full.

I do remember reading a story that AA will be un-parking the remainder of their aircraft, I believe the date is either May 1 or May 15, I can't remember which.
Many companies, mine included, have halted any company-related travel. Well mine does permit some, with the approval of the CEO or one of his direct reports. Things will remain like this until after Labor Day.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
What percentage of AA aircraft are still parked?
It is wonderful that AA and other airlines are able to fully utilize some of their aircraft, but as long as some are still not in use at all, it doesn't really matter that flights that you are on are full.

I do remember reading a story that AA will be un-parking the remainder of their aircraft, I believe the date is either May 1 or May 15, I can't remember which.
Many companies, mine included, have halted any company-related travel. Well mine does permit some, with the approval of the CEO or one of his direct reports. Things will remain like this until after Labor Day.
I have no idea. I am currently at the Marriot DFW overlooking the runway (attached is the just snapped picture). AA planes waiting in a continual line to take off, so although unscientific, seems like AA is flying their birds. Two weeks ago I flew on a CR7 with a 1980s like interior (picture attached) that I never saw before.... so I speculated they are in need of using some of their older aircraft. Yes, widebodies are underutilized, but AA seems like they are running a hefty amount of their fleet, and retired what they no longer want to fly.

Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:16 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by enviroian
Also if UA and DL extend status AA will do so in a microsecond.
haha....this is key.

They probably already have the software encoded to announce this jussssst in case!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea. I am currently at the Marriot DFW overlooking the runway (attached is the just snapped picture). AA planes waiting in a continual line to take off, so although unscientific, seems like AA is flying their birds. Two weeks ago I flew on a CR7 with a 1980s like interior (picture attached) that I never saw before.... so I speculated they are in need of using some of their older aircraft. Yes, widebodies are underutilized, but AA seems like they are running a hefty amount of their fleet, and retired what they no longer want to fly.

They weren't parked at DFW:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...ounded-planes/

American is storing aircraft throughout the system, though primarily at four airports. Here are those airports, along with the type of aircraft being stored at each:
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma (TUL): 737 MAX 8, 757, 777-200, 777-300ER, 787-8, 787-9
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (PIT): A320, A321, A330, E-190
  • Roswell, New Mexico (ROW): 737 MAX 8, 737-800, 757, 767, 777-200
  • Mobile, Alabama (BFM): A321, 777-200

Have you visited any of those airports and seen the aircraft parked?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:21 pm

That article is over a year old......
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:26 pm

That article is over a year old......
Exactly. It is where AA parked their planes last year. My question was, "how many are still parked?"

What do the take-off lines look like for AA at JFK, PHL, ORD, and LAX?
There was a recent thread about someone trying to fly QR from JFK on an AA miles issued ticket. They had issues, and by 8pm there were no AA employees present. 2 years ago, if memory serves, AA had flights from JFK until about midnight.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Wow that definitely looks first generation EMB-145 CO EX flew in 1998.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Quite a few parked AA birds here at PHX, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.