Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA PHX-LHR flights??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:07 pm

Glad to hear it's back. We're scheduled for April 30th.

Jim
N830MH likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
LHR-PHX?

Has anyone taken the LHR-PHX route (particularly in J, but I would love any information)? DH and I are about to fly PHX-CLT-FRA one way, then return FRA-LHR-PHX. I am very curious about the LHR-PHX leg, which seems to have been re-established relatively recently. Any experiences to share, good, bad, or indifferent?
Old May 7, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ysolde
Has anyone taken the LHR-PHX route (particularly in J, but I would love any information)? DH and I are about to fly PHX-CLT-FRA one way, then return FRA-LHR-PHX. I am very curious about the LHR-PHX leg, which seems to have been re-established relatively recently. Any experiences to share, good, bad, or indifferent?
Exactly what kind of information are you looking for? It'll be that same as any other AA long haul flight. Unless it's a 773 and your in F, it'll be just like your flight out to FRA. Comfortable seats, bad to terrible service depending on your particular crew. Amenities and catering will not be any different.
Old May 7, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
AA195 is a B772 that resumed service last year. No F, just Y and J.

BA also operates the same city pair later in the day.
ysolde likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Exactly what kind of information are you looking for? It'll be that same as any other AA long haul flight. Unless it's a 773 and your in F, it'll be just like your flight out to FRA. Comfortable seats, bad to terrible service depending on your particular crew. Amenities and catering will not be any different.
How often does it get cancelled? Any issues with the planes they are putting on this route? I hated taking DL from JFK to FRA or AA from JFK to the Caribbean and ending up on older planes that had seen better days (delays galore). This is the kind of information I am looking for. OTOH, it looks great, a flight that goes direct to PHX. OTOH, I have to wonder if the route is so secondary that it ends up getting cancelled a lot, etc.
Old May 7, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
How often does it get cancelled? Any issues with the planes they are putting on this route? ....I have to wonder if the route is so secondary that it ends up getting cancelled a lot, etc.
A flight connecting two oneworld hubs would not be considered secondary.

Take a look at the data from the past 90 days, AA195 appears to be very reliable.
ysolde and Antarius like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 12:12 pm

A couple friends have flown on AA194/195 recently in J. It's standard J Flagship service and is usually full in J. Assuming you're flying BA FRA-LHR, make sure you have plenty of time (3 hours is my suggestion) to get from T-5 to T-3 at LHR.
Old May 8, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Given a choice be wary of connecting in LHR. It may (and by that I mean there are a few loopholes for connections and maybe you have one) subject you to UK departure tax. Just I think it will. (But not like I fly that route often so this comes with a Uniformed Content Alert). Maaaybee if it is all booked on BA flight numbers.

As for the ride itself, Heaven smiled and I was in AA J on a 777-300 out of LHR just last week. It was a comfortable flight and the cabin crew good. Can't imagine what else they would have done for the few seats way up front in Officially F, unless it involved live music and pedicures. Food was better than OK if not Michelin rated. (Way better than in the back on the eastbound last month).
ysolde likes this.

Last edited by jayer; May 8, 2023 at 1:42 pm
Old May 8, 2023, 1:40 pm

Being pedantic - you were on a 777-300ER last week! I've flown in both J and F and the difference in F is really that you get more personalized service (2FAs for 8 people); 2 lavs for those 8 people and a soup course. You get a bit more space as well with 3 windows vs 2 but that's a non-factor. The service in F to me is more personable and less "assembly line" feeling.
Old May 8, 2023, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jayer
Given a choice be wary of connecting in LHR. It may (and by that I mean there are a few loopholes for connections and maybe you have one) subject you to UK departure tax. Just I think it will. (But not like I fly that route often so this comes with a Uniformed Content Alert). Maaaybee if it is all booked on BA flight numbers.
Merely connecting doesn't subject a passenger to the UK APD. So that won't be an issue for the OP.
TWA884, ysolde and Antarius like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tanic
BA also operates the same city pair later in the day.
With BA operating the 350 on this route, I'd choose BA over AA, both for the better overall product and to avoid the awful T5-T3 transit at LHR. Although after our last two LHR transfers, both these options are basically off my list.
NickP 1K likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I use this route quite often to do my return LHR-PHX-SNA and Biz ridiculously high fares and very few seats open. I'm actually shifting back to LHR-LAX as I find non-summer peak availability better so fares aren't as nuts - and I avoid the tight connection - even though PHX is a breeze to clear international connections. As others said it's a standard J experience for a non First equipped aircraft (772). Crews are generally good and find nothing negative on doing this often.

As others suggested going PHX-LHR - HIGHLY suggest if you have an onward BA connection in LHR/T5 - take the BA flight instead - way less hassle even though BA tends to run this flight 20-30 min late nearly every day.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I use this route quite often to do my return LHR-PHX-SNA and Biz ridiculously high fares and very few seats open. I'm actually shifting back to LHR-LAX as I find non-summer peak availability better so fares aren't as nuts - and I avoid the tight connection - even though PHX is a breeze to clear international connections.
Seems like PHX-LHR does pretty well, or at least inventory appears more scarce every time I've looked at it when deciding where to connect. LAX seems much better now that there's a 3rd LHR flight.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
As others suggested going PHX-LHR - HIGHLY suggest if you have an onward BA connection in LHR/T5 - take the BA flight instead - way less hassle even though BA tends to run this flight 20-30 min late nearly every day.
Yes, I'd suggest a minimum 2.5 or 3 hour connection and do not check bags.
Old May 9, 2023, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
[QUOTE=NickP 1K;35234902
As others suggested going PHX-LHR - HIGHLY suggest if you have an onward BA connection in LHR/T5 - take the BA flight instead - way less hassle even though BA tends to run this flight 20-30 min late nearly every day.[/QUOTE]

It really depends. Some BA LHR-Europe flights actually go from T3. So if you fly BA into T5, then you're doing the shuttle in reverse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.