Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA PHX-LHR flights??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
In addition, some of my US citizen/Green card holder friends use the mainland Europe path ( via FRA, AMS, CDG, LHR ) from Turkey to the USA as the flights have much fewer passengers and much cheaper prices compared to the direct TK flights from IST.
355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Well with United just announcing that they are offering free covid-19 testing through EWR to LHR mid-Nov/mid-Dec, American may jump on the wagon too. But then American just jumped off the wagon for setting up testing for folks going to The Bahamas and Jamacia citing it was too cost-prohibitive.

https://news.yahoo.com/united-airlin...125913044.html

https://ewnews.com/american-airlines...und-passengers
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by fly747first
My vote goes for 2023 if the flight is ever resumed...
I won't know for sure. If they ever resumed flight PHX-LHR in 2021 or so.

Originally Posted by fotographer
how strange.. I saw your tweet to AA ...time to buy lottery tickets
Good.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Well with United just announcing that they are offering free covid-19 testing through EWR to LHR mid-Nov/mid-Dec, American may jump on the wagon too. But then American just jumped off the wagon for setting up testing for folks going to The Bahamas and Jamacia citing it was too cost-prohibitive.

This seems completely useless as even a negative test result will not absolve one of having to endure the stupid UK quarantine.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Actually, given that PHX is a leisure origin/destination, demand might return to this sort of flight faster than it will to the multiple AA flights previously operated to/from JFK.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Actually, given that PHX is a leisure origin/destination, demand might return to this sort of flight faster than it will to the multiple AA flights previously operated to/from JFK.
This would make sense from a domestic point of view, but until the UK 14-day quarantine is lifted, there will be very little leisure traffic from any gateway to LHR.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

This is irrelevant with the current subject though I would like to add some points to this.

- First, the Bahamas and Jamaica require COVID tests for passengers from the USA. The UK does not require any COVID test results upon arrival from the USA.
- United is offering this service for passengers who wish the extra peace and not as a response to a government-mandated requirement.
- The rapid COVID tests offered by United are not accepted by many governments if the purpose of this was for passengers transiting to countries that accept passengers from the USA ( ex: Croatia )

So, there is no reason for AA to follow UA's move.
Personally, I wouldn't go to the airport early to have a test, just to feel safe as a response to nobody in the aircraft has COVID.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
This would make sense from a domestic point of view, but until the UK 14-day quarantine is lifted, there will be very little leisure traffic from any gateway to LHR.
I, like many others use it as a transit gateway: DFW-FRA would be attractive for me, yet it only allows transiting to other EU countries (although the rules are almost impossible to interpret), while LHR doesn't seem to have that issue. And seemingly, it's actually possible to gather up your luggage and check it onto a continuing flight - something not allowed at other EU airports.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GaryZ
I, like many others use it as a transit gateway: DFW-FRA would be attractive for me, yet it only allows transiting to other EU countries (although the rules are almost impossible to interpret), while LHR doesn't seem to have that issue. And seemingly, it's actually possible to gather up your luggage and check it onto a continuing flight - something not allowed at other EU airports.
Both LHR and FRA allows transfer to non-Schengen EU countries.
On the contrary to what you've said, in LHR, you could head landside, recheck your bags and check it on a separate ticket while in FRA it wouldn't be possible for a US citizen to do that.

The Schengen area border is closed for most non-EU citizens including US citizens so when transitting at FRA, you would need to ensure that your onward connection is on the same ticket and your bags would be checked through. You wouldn't be able to go anywhere other than the Non-Schengen transit area of the airport, including the baggage claim carousels and the check-in hall in FRA.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Both LHR and FRA allows transfer to non-Schengen EU countries.
From the AA travel restrictions link: "Travelers are allowed to transit through Germany to travel to another EU member state, another Schengen member state, or the United Kingdom as their country of final destination." Although it does appear that each airport in Germany may have it's own interpretation of this rule.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GaryZ
From the AA travel restrictions link: "Travelers are allowed to transit through Germany to travel to another EU member state, another Schengen member state, or the United Kingdom as their country of final destination." Although it does appear that each airport in Germany may have it's own interpretation of this rule.
Yes, travelers holding an EU passport could transfer to another EU member state, another Schengen state, or the UK at Frankfurt.

A US citizen is not allowed to enter the Schengen area regardless of the port of entry. There are some exceptions like long-term visas, etc... This applies to Frankfurt as well.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I remember seeing a 772 last year at PHX and thinking to myself "what the hell?" and remembered the new LHR service that was started. It was so cool to see a 772 at PHX! Those days are probably gone for good now.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I remember seeing a 772 last year at PHX and thinking to myself "what the hell?" and remembered the new LHR service that was started. It was so cool to see a 772 at PHX! Those days are probably gone for good now.
AA361/520 PHX-DFW-PHX is operated by a 772 from 17 December until 4 January.
enviroian likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by enviroian
PHX-HNL will be on the 772 later this month and into December.

PHX-OGG will also see the 772 in mid-December.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I remember when I chatted with pilots. They told me about the flights. They are always arrive in LHR early. Because the winds is pushing it through. How it did happens? I'm actually flew PHX-LHR before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.