Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA PHX-LHR flights??

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
PHX- LHR is great. We've flown it a number of times. I agree if your connecting go with the BA flight, but we aware that some might still have your change terminals and re-enter security. We've have check bags in the past without issue, so not a huge concern IMO. I do agree that 2.5 - 3 hours just to be safe.
Old May 10, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
It really depends. Some BA LHR-Europe flights actually go from T3. So if you fly BA into T5, then you're doing the shuttle in reverse.
For the OP, transiting LHR to FRA will require a T3 to T5 shuffle for AA to BA. There is a handy "Which London airport and Terminal" on the BA website.

I have flown BA PHX-LHR & AA LHR-PHX both requiring a terminal shuffle in LHR. First and foremost, who has the best schedule for your needs? If pricing isn't a factor, I would opt for the flight that doesn't require changing terminals, all else equal. Neither BA nor AA are amazing in the F&B arena, both mediocre at best and FAs can be pleasant to robotic on either. From a hard product perspective, if BA didn't have Club Suites on the route then it would be a choice between AA and AA for J flights. I actually prefer AA PE over BA PE.

James
Old May 10, 2023, 8:27 pm

What about PHX>LHR>GVA ? Are you folks saying I should pick the BA metal from PHX>LHR so I can connect easier to BA LHR>GVA?

Also what about CDG>LHR>PHX? I really like USA customs in PHX.
Old May 11, 2023, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
What about PHX>LHR>GVA ? Are you folks saying I should pick the BA metal from PHX>LHR so I can connect easier to BA LHR>GVA?

Also what about CDG>LHR>PHX? I really like USA customs in PHX.
CDG and GVA are both currently served from T5. If it were me, I would lean very heavily toward the BA flights to and from PHX. The T3 <-> T5 transfer is bad on its best days... and absolutely awful when it is bad.

The US customs situation will not be affected by which flights you choose from LHR to PHX, as far as I know.
Old May 11, 2023, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For ysolde , one additional consideration, I find the wheelchair assistance at LHR to be horrible with or without the T3-T5 terminal transfer. I would rather do FRA-DFW-PHX than connect at LHR when I need wheelchair assistance.
ysolde likes this.
Old May 11, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
With BA operating the 350 on this route, I'd choose BA over AA, both for the better overall product and to avoid the awful T5-T3 transit at LHR. Although after our last two LHR transfers, both these options are basically off my list.
BA 289 is a B77W now.
Old May 11, 2023, 5:17 pm

Is there any reason to consider staying on AA metal if the price is the same if I need to make a connection to T3 to fly PHX>LHR>GVA? Or what about CDG>LHR>PHX? What about the dreaded BA equipment swap out to the old club world? I really never thought about terminal changes as a consideration prior.

Last edited by Centurion; May 11, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Old May 12, 2023, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Is there any reason to consider staying on AA metal if the price is the same if I need to make a connection to T3 to fly PHX>LHR>GVA? Or what about CDG>LHR>PHX? What about the dreaded BA equipment swap out to the old club world? I really never thought about terminal changes as a consideration prior.
It is nice to avoid the T3 => T5 transit with the BA flight. In the past, I was also able to buy an upgrade for a reasonable feeb on the BA flight + go to the contract BA elite lounge, which is not possible with AA; you have to use the low B lounge that is pretty far away from B25 where the LHR flights board. Of course, the 747 was a draw in the day, but that's over!
Old May 12, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
At least they have the new First Class and Club World Suites on board, similar to the A350-1000 they were previously using.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by saunders111
C The T3 <-> T5 transfer is bad on its best days... and absolutely awful when it is bad.
For a novice...yes.
Old May 12, 2023, 4:49 pm

I see no First Cass on PHX>LHR or LHR>PHX. Where do you see First offered on this route?

Originally Posted by songofamerica89
At least they have the new First Class and Club World Suites on board, similar to the A350-1000 they were previously using.
Old May 13, 2023, 2:51 am

Operational reliability is much better on AA. Food also much better if in W or J. Can’t comment on Y.
Old May 13, 2023, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
Operational reliability is much better on AA. Food also much better if in W or J. Can’t comment on Y.
I think that is true. The BA flight is delayed more than the AA flight. Also, the AA flight gets in to LHR (with earlier connections) compared to the BA flight.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:17 pm

PHX>LHR current plane and config 777-200ER

What is the current plane and seat config on PHX>LHR? Is the Aerolopa seat map accurate for business class? www.aerolopa.com/aa-772-type-2. In particular I am concerned about 1a being to near the forward lavatory. Other seat maps indicate seat 1a and the lavatory are separated by the forward exit door.
Old May 19, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
What is the current plane and seat config on PHX>LHR? Is the Aerolopa seat map accurate for business class? www.aerolopa.com/aa-772-type-2. In particular I am concerned about 1a being to near the forward lavatory. Other seat maps indicate seat 1a and the lavatory are separated by the forward exit door.
Try this

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...77-200ER_E.php

As I recall the lav is before the cockpit door, NOT immediate to 1A
Though 1A is kind of not great (nor 1l) due to the galley lighting nearly always on. The dark horse if you want to be in the front is 1d a 1h if it's not a full flight - don't see the galley lighting ever bothering those two seats

Recall that the door used to board is typically behind the lav that is behind row 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.