Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-*G, AA-Exec P, IHG-Gold, Bonvoy-Ambassador
He said it was going to expire and I better either pay for the ticket or probably will have to rebook from the beginning. And the price was already higher than $3,5xxx.xx
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Speaking of which:

Last night, I did call in to pay for a reservation I had placed on hold using a flight credit. To my surprise, I got an agent within a few seconds, despite having no status. The agent had to put me on hold to talk to his rates desk, but the whole call ultimately took ten minutes.

About two hours later -- around 11:45 PM, just before the hold would have expired -- I checked the reservation on the app to look up seats. It still showed as on hold, even when I refreshed. The flight credit was still in my account. I hadn't gotten a confirmation email.

So, I called again. A friendly and incompetent agent spent about ten minutes trying to research it before transferring me to another agent or department. I waited on hold for 20 more minutes, at which point a competent agent read through the notes that the inept agent had left, put me on hold for about five minutes, and got the ticket issued.

I should not have spent 45 minutes and a degree of diligence trying to use a $260 flight credit to pay for a $220 one-way nonstop domestic ticket.

I'm very close to writing a DOT complaint and copying someone important at AA. Or I might be a bigger jerk and write a letter directly to DOT's assistant secretary for aviation. Not asking for help with the ticket, but asking DOT to start penalizing carriers, like AA, that fail to comply with the spirit of DOT's consumer guidance by making credits usable. I realize that letter probably gets kicked down to DOT's complaint department, but I'll do what I can to write it as a policy request, not a help-me-with-my-problem complaint.

Because I am confident that people with less time, patience, or airline wherewithal than me -- particularly infrequent fliers who don't have a bunch of disposable income -- have given up or lost funds rather than using the credits they're entitled to.
If there is no additional payment involved, you can place reservation on hold and complete ticketing with flight credit via Twitter.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
1hr 26min 31secs - that's how long it took me on the phone tonight with the EXP desk to determine how much my 16 existing flight credits are worth. Of note, thankfully, none of that time was spent on hold waiting to reach an agent. And that doesn't include 2 additional credits that aren't even appearing in my AA wallet. Come on AA - there's got to be a better way of doing this!

-FlyerBeek
Can also be done via Twitter.

UA and DL definitely superior but Twitter will save you having to speak with AA.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Was initially booked on a BWI-JFK-LAX ticket with the JFK-LAX segment in Flagship First. A shutdown of I-95 caused me to miss the BWI-JFK segment and they rerouted me on BWI-ORD-LAX with both segments in F. Obviously, this new itinerary is not equal in value, so is there any compensation I can receive?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Was initially booked on a BWI-JFK-LAX ticket with the JFK-LAX segment in Flagship First. A shutdown of I-95 caused me to miss the BWI-JFK segment and they rerouted me on BWI-ORD-LAX with both segments in F. Obviously, this new itinerary is not equal in value, so is there any compensation I can receive?
Given that it wasn't AA that caused you to miss the flight, why would they owe you anything? If anything, I'd be happy they rerouted you for free instead of having to buy a walk-up ticket.
Holometer3D, golfmad, jebr and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Courtesy Trip Credit Conversion?

Canceled an AA flight expecting to get a flight credit which would be a pain to use. Shortly after the original email confirming the cancelation, I got an email with the subject, "Update to Your Travel Credit" informing me a new Trip Credit was issued under a new ticket number.

I can't imagine this is standard practice. Are all cancelations going to TC instead of FC now? If not, how often does this happen or what triggers this?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus lifetime
Originally Posted by jcarberry
Canceled an AA flight expecting to get a flight credit which would be a pain to use. Shortly after the original email confirming the cancelation, I got an email with the subject, "Update to Your Travel Credit" informing me a new Trip Credit was issued under a new ticket number.

I can't imagine this is standard practice. Are all cancelations going to TC instead of FC now? If not, how often does this happen or what triggers this?
Actually, an AA rep told me more than a year or two ago that the long term plan is to replace all Flight Credits with Trip Credits, and that the IT department is working on it.

It has since been reported elsewhere that AA is converting a limited subset of Flight Credits to Trip Credits, and also temporarily allowing name changes on Flight Credits since the full conversion to Trip Credits has not been implemented yet (this was supposed to be a stopgap measure until early 2021, but the deadline has been extended repeatedly).

https://viewfromthewing.com/american...-need-to-know/
https://viewfromthewing.com/whoa-ame...-january-2022/
jcarberry likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:32 pm

Trip credit for delay of more than 3 hours

So, our DFW to CID flight was delayed due to mechanical problems (announced by pilot) and we landed in CID more than 3 hours late. I asked for service recovery on the online complaint form and was granted a trip credit of USD $50 by customer relations.

Is this an acceptable amount? Shouldn't it be $50 each at least?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Double dipping - received flight credit for a flight I took

Hello All - I was booked on a DCA-DFW flight and it was one of those bad weather days where multiple flights were cancelled. In anticipation, I reached the airport much ahead of my original flight time.

Long story short, I was put on 3 separate flights on standby. 2 got cancelled and I was confirmed on one of them. Then I got on standby on the 3rd one and finally made it on an open ticket (did not include my name). I received an alert that I have been rebooked for a later flight. Because of no-show I was given Flight Credit for the flight I supposedly did not take.

So question for the knowledgeable:

1. Do I alert AA and remove the credit?
2. If I decide to use the generosity, does AA figure out when redeeming the credit?

Your thoughts please.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by srikp
Hello All - I was booked on a DCA-DFW flight and it was one of those bad weather days where multiple flights were cancelled. In anticipation, I reached the airport much ahead of my original flight time.

Long story short, I was put on 3 separate flights on standby. 2 got cancelled and I was confirmed on one of them. Then I got on standby on the 3rd one and finally made it on an open ticket (did not include my name). I received an alert that I have been rebooked for a later flight. Because of no-show I was given Flight Credit for the flight I supposedly did not take.

So question for the knowledgeable:

1. Do I alert AA and remove the credit?
2. If I decide to use the generosity, does AA figure out when redeeming the credit?

Your thoughts please.
Alert AA.

I made a profit off of my own car accident due to being honest.

I had a small traffic collision in a rental car and was paid for the damage by the rental car company and by my credit card company (if I recall correctly). I contacted both of them and told both of them about the mistake (in writing) and told them both that they had paid me in error. They both seemed annoyed at being told of the issue and specifically told me, by email, to keep the payment.

So one never knows what good things can come from being above board.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:20 am

So I have "trip credit" from paying for upgraded seats on a award flight last year (which i canceled and rebooked) Everything was refunded except the dollars paid for the upgraded seat selection.

I figured I would just use this trip credit for an upcoming trip.. should be simple enough but looks like there is yet even more stipulations on the use of them.

"Can't use trip credit if the flight does not originate in the U.S"
SO now looks like I will be forfeiting this "Trip credit" of 142ish dollars that expire in November 2022....
Pretty ridiculous that I paid cash and got refunded trip credit which is a hassle to redeem and has an expiration date.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-*G, AA-Exec P, IHG-Gold, Bonvoy-Ambassador
Error when Changing Flight to same itinerary but lower fare now

I just checked some upcoming flights for lower fares on existing PNR's using the "Change Flight" button and then selecting the same day. Sure enough, the same flight I'm booked on is now $86 less, so I click on the flight and then it says "Flight is no longer available". I've not see this error before and 70% of the seats are open in both First and Economy.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmurtaugh
I had a flight credit with AA that I used to book a flight. The cost of the flight was more than the issued credit. However, I now wish to cancel that flight. Will AA issue another flight credit? If so, will it be the full amount? And what will the expiration date be?
I have this same question. I’ve searched and searched online but haven’t found an answer. My hunch is that I would be re-issued a Flight Credit for the same amount with the same restrictions, ie must be booked by Sept. 30 and used by Dec. 31. But what would happen if I cancelled after Sept 30? What would happen if the airline cancelled the flight after Sept. 30?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
If there is no additional payment involved, you can place reservation on hold and complete ticketing with flight credit via Twitter.

Can also be done via Twitter.

UA and DL definitely superior but Twitter will save you having to speak with AA.
How is this done?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Voluntarily cancelling a flight: what next?

My wife and I have a domestic flight this Saturday, regular economy purchased with $$ on a single PNR on 3/14/22, that I need to cancel. I haven't flown AA in a while, so any help with the following would be greatly appreciated:
1. I'm hoping for a flight change or outright AA cancellation that will allow me to get a refund, but not expecting it. How close to departure can I safely wait until pulling the plug and cancelling online?
2. If I choose to cancel, am I correct that I receive a Flight Credit for the purchase price, and that credit must be used within 1 year of the purchase date?
3. If I book a new flight before expiration, can I use the credit to book a flight beyond the credit expiration date, i.e. 8/1/23? If I do that, does the expiration date reset, such that I could cancel and get a new credit, or at least change the booking to another flight some other time in 2023?
4. Can my wife use half of the credit to take a flight later this year, leaving the other half for me to use at a later date?

Thanks in advance for any first-hand knowledge any of you FT road warriors can share.
EDITED TO ADD:
1. Cancelled 12 hours before flight.
2. Travel Credit issued, travel using the credit must commence within one year of original purchase date of the tickets
3. STILL NEED AN ANSWER, PLEASE
4.Given that the credits show separately in our individual accounts, I have to assume that they can also be used separately. But now I'm wondering if we travel together on a single purchase, can both credits be used on a single PNR?

Last edited by bob12403; Sep 24, 2022 at 5:30 am
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Issues booking a google flights itinerary

Hello all. I am trying to book the following itinerary as an AA marketed multi-city:

JFK - NRT (JL metal)
NRT - KUL (MH metal)

I am booking this as a multi-city to give myself a 3-day stopover in Tokyo. Google Flights shows availability on the AA website at a good price, and indeed I am able to proceed with booking on the AA website. At the payment screen there is no option for a hold and AA gives me the following notice:

“Reservations containing one or more flights on airlines other than American Airlines or American Eagle must be purchased at time of booking.”

This is a problem as I'm trying to use a flight credit to make the booking, and this needs to be done over the phone. There’s no option to apply a flight credit or a travel credit at the payment stage. I want to hold the fare so that a phone agent can find it.

I have called AA and the agents can’t seem to match the fare that Google Flights has. The fare the agents quote me is about 40% higher. If I use the multi-city search on AA.com I can't find the fare either. The lower fare is only shown on the AA website if I initiate the search from Google Flights.

The agent is suggesting that I use cash to book the lower fare online, however, this is a substantial amount and I don't want to be burdened by thousands in difficult to use 'flight credit'.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible for me to book the fare through Google Flights and have a phone agent swap the payment method?

Last edited by RoadsAndRoutes; Sep 24, 2022 at 4:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.