Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AxelJF
Went through several pages of this thread without finding an answer, even though I think it must have been given already, so here it goes...

If I book a fully refundable ticket using my flight credit, and then cancel the ticket, will the refund be paid out or converted back into a flight credit (or sth similar)?
If a refund converts back into a flight credit, will the deadline to use this credit be reset to 1 year or does it go back to the old deadline? (at least through this one could buy more time...)

Besides, is it possible to buy Alaska flights through AA?
I booked a ticket using a flight credit for part of the payment; the new ticket was nonrefundable but I cancelled it immediately (as I had put a ticket for $292 on hold, called to pay for it via a flight credit, and was charged $600+, which I paid via credit card and via flight credit), and I now have a flight credit from that newly-cancelled flight that expires 1 year from the original travel date (i.e., less than a year from when I cancelled the new flight).

Not the same situation, but I hope that this is helpful.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I booked a ticket using a flight credit for part of the payment; the new ticket was nonrefundable but I cancelled it immediately (as I had put a ticket for $292 on hold, called to pay for it via a flight credit, and was charged $600+, which I paid via credit card and via flight credit), and I now have a flight credit from that newly-cancelled flight that expires 1 year from the original travel date (i.e., less than a year from when I cancelled the new flight).

Not the same situation, but I hope that this is helpful.
This is correct.

So no - using flight credit to make a refundable booking neither is an avenue for flight credit to cash NOR does it extend flight credit duration.

HOWEVER - UNUSED flight credit when making a new booking gets converted into TRIP credit with a new 1-year extension date.

So if you have, say, 2000 dollars in flight credit expiring July 31, 2022 and use that to make a 100 dollar booking today, you now have 1900 USD in trip credit expiring July 14, 2023.

If you then cancel that flight, it will convert back to a 100 USD flight credit expiring July 31, 2022.

It's a somewhat cheap way to at least extend the flight credit by a year (and effectively free if you actually fly the cheap flight)
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Thanks for the answers! Understood!

Seriously thinking about this option to make a cheap one-way booking to reset the clock at least the majority of the flight credit value that my wife and I currently have. Cheapest flights I can find with AA though are well into the 80 USD... ergo my question if one can book Alaska via AA as well? They are on many routes half the price... does anyone know? Am really just looking for the cheapest flights throw-away ticket here as we are in no position to fly anything in the near future, but we don't want to give up on the credit either.

Ah... another question: if a flight credit-based booking gets cancelled by AA, we would be entitled for a full refund, right? That wouldn't convert back into a credit, or? ... I know it's a bit risky, but I'm also kinda tempted to just make a super complex booking, hoping they cancel it as this chaos continues that we see every day.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:25 pm

Is it allowed to combine multiple travel credit to use on one booking?

I have a few AA travel credit from previously changed/cancelled flights. My question is, can I use all of those AA travel credits in one future booking?

My travel credits are from AmEx Travel booking, but they keep telling me I can only use one credit per future booking.... it's quite annoying that I can't use them all at the same time, especially considering they have only 1-year validity period.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:36 am

I was able to use 2 flight credits for one itinerary. Even though the policy says one credit per booking, the AA reservation agent was able to apply two different flight credits, with the balance returned as a trip credit good for one year. (My itinerary was on hold, so I had to call in to apply the flight credits.)
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ebuck
I was able to use 2 flight credits for one itinerary. Even though the policy says one credit per booking, the AA reservation agent was able to apply two different flight credits, with the balance returned as a trip credit good for one year. (My itinerary was on hold, so I had to call in to apply the flight credits.)
The policy doesn't say one flight credit. The policy says:
  • aa.com allows 1 Flight Credit per passenger
  • Contact Reservations to book with more than 1 Flight Credit
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp

However OP did not book with AA, they booked with Amex.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
The policy doesn't say one flight credit. The policy says:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp

However OP did not book with AA, they booked with Amex.
AmEx Travel phone agent told me the one credit per booking is based on AA's policy, however, that is clearly false.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
AmEx Travel phone agent told me the one credit per booking is based on AA's policy, however, that is clearly false.
AA's policies for TAs may be different then their policies for you.

I'm not saying that it's not false, but it's not "clearly false" from the information here.

I believe a travel credit here is just a ticket with residual value. AA may be able to take that ticket over from Amex. There may be a $50 (per ticket) fee for this you are not EXP.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:03 pm

Even if the flight credit is processed by AmEx Travel, can I just call AA to apply multiple travel credit?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Even if the flight credit is processed by AmEx Travel, can I just call AA to apply multiple travel credit?
AA won’t touch flight credits for tickets originally booked through a TA. They will require you to work with Amex for the new booking.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
I had a similar situation where I had multiple credits from cancelled trips, some directly with AA and some with Chase Travel. I learned that AA can "take over" any PNR/ticket # (including credits) from OTA's for a $50 fee per PNR/ticket #. I did this with my Chase Travel credit, figuring it was worth paying the $50 in order to be able to combine the credit with other existing direct AA credits.

I also learned that in order for multiple credits to be applied to a new booking, all credits must be the same type (e.g., all within the US, etc.). I had one credit for a trip that originated in Canada and ended in the US, but was not able to combine that credit with my other US domestic only credits since it was a different originating country.

If your combined credits are less than the price of the new booking, the agent will take payment for the difference. If the combined credits is more than the new booking, then a residual Trip Credit will be issued, which you can use later.

All of this requires an agent that is willing and knowledgeable to do this, as it takes time, and sometimes requires the agent to talk to the "rate desk". If you don't get an agent that seems like they know what they are doing, HUCA.

Hope this helps!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by AAMCI
I had a similar situation where I had multiple credits from cancelled trips, some directly with AA and some with Chase Travel. I learned that AA can "take over" any PNR/ticket # (including credits) from OTA's for a $50 fee per PNR/ticket #. I did this with my Chase Travel credit, figuring it was worth paying the $50 in order to be able to combine the credit with other existing direct AA credits.

I also learned that in order for multiple credits to be applied to a new booking, all credits must be the same type (e.g., all within the US, etc.). I had one credit for a trip that originated in Canada and ended in the US, but was not able to combine that credit with my other US domestic only credits since it was a different originating country.

If your combined credits are less than the price of the new booking, the agent will take payment for the difference. If the combined credits is more than the new booking, then a residual Trip Credit will be issued, which you can use later.

All of this requires an agent that is willing and knowledgeable to do this, as it takes time, and sometimes requires the agent to talk to the "rate desk". If you don't get an agent that seems like they know what they are doing, HUCA.

Hope this helps!
would it be possible to fight with Amex travel to use multiple travel credit? I find it absurd that they refuse to combine credit by using the excuse that it’s airlines policy but it is false statement.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
would it be possible to fight with Amex travel to use multiple travel credit? I find it absurd that they refuse to combine credit by using the excuse that it’s airlines policy but it is false statement.
We don't know if it's false. What AA offers to us is often different than what they offer to OTAs. AA may simply be telling Amex that they aren't going to accept multiple Amex credits on their flight. If amex elects to combine them for you, then it would work (not sure if they do this).

however, as said above and by others, what AA does with their own travel credits isn't necessarily the same as what they do with third parties.

It can't hurt to call and ask again though.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
AA has two types of credits...one is more restrictive than the other....one is trip credit and the other is flight credit (I think). If you cancel, you get the more restrictive credit that says only one credit can be used. The other type can get combined with other credits of same type. However if you use part of the restrictive credit, the balance is given in the more easily used credit. So if restrictive credit is fairly big, find a cheap oneway ticket and the balance credit is the easy kind.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
AA has two types of credits...one is more restrictive than the other....one is trip credit and the other is flight credit (I think). If you cancel, you get the more restrictive credit that says only one credit can be used. The other type can get combined with other credits of same type. However if you use part of the restrictive credit, the balance is given in the more easily used credit. So if restrictive credit is fairly big, find a cheap oneway ticket and the balance credit is the easy kind.
To add to your post -when you cancel a flight, you get a flight credit. Only one can be used per reservation. If there's a balance, it comes back as a trip credit; 8 can be combined.

That said, AA has converted flight credits into trip credits (and relatively recently converted 6 paper vouchers into trip credits), so it's getting easier and easier to combine them and use them.
cali-gal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.