FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:55 pm
RoadsAndRoutes

Programs: CX Diamond
Issues booking a google flights itinerary

Hello all. I am trying to book the following itinerary as an AA marketed multi-city:

JFK - NRT (JL metal)
NRT - KUL (MH metal)

I am booking this as a multi-city to give myself a 3-day stopover in Tokyo. Google Flights shows availability on the AA website at a good price, and indeed I am able to proceed with booking on the AA website. At the payment screen there is no option for a hold and AA gives me the following notice:

“Reservations containing one or more flights on airlines other than American Airlines or American Eagle must be purchased at time of booking.”

This is a problem as I'm trying to use a flight credit to make the booking, and this needs to be done over the phone. There’s no option to apply a flight credit or a travel credit at the payment stage. I want to hold the fare so that a phone agent can find it.

I have called AA and the agents can’t seem to match the fare that Google Flights has. The fare the agents quote me is about 40% higher. If I use the multi-city search on AA.com I can't find the fare either. The lower fare is only shown on the AA website if I initiate the search from Google Flights.

The agent is suggesting that I use cash to book the lower fare online, however, this is a substantial amount and I don't want to be burdened by thousands in difficult to use 'flight credit'.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible for me to book the fare through Google Flights and have a phone agent swap the payment method?

Last edited by RoadsAndRoutes; Sep 24, 2022 at 4:37 pm