Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by themax
I recently cancelled an AA booking from YVR (Vancouver) to LAX. AA refunded me partly in cash and partly with a trip credit. I tried to use the trip credit this morning to book a new ticket (same journey, YVR to LAX), but AA refused to accept it because the itinerary commenced outside the USA. I appreciate that this might be the rule that govern the use of AA Trip Credits, but considering the Trip Credit was given to me following a cancellation of the exact same itinerary commencing outside the USA, this doesn't seem right (or fair). Any thoughts on what I can do about this? The Trip Credit is worth over $800 so I don't want to just give up.
I don't quite understand why you received a partial refund in cash? Do you mean a partial refund to your original method of payment (credit card). Usually if you cancel a trip a flight credit should be issued not a trip credit. I usually only got trip credits when I changed my booking and the difference in fare was issued in the form of trip credits. However, flight credits can only be used if they originate in the same market, in your case Canada.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:49 pm

This just happened to me today. My wife had a flight credit for a cancelled Us-Japan flight and we wanted to use for LHR-MIA and after trying for some time, the agent came back and said it can only be used for flight originating in the US? This is 1600 dollar credit for a cancelled paid flight and my wife wont be doing enough trip before 12/31 when it expires to use it.

This is beyond crazy in 2023 if this is an IT glitch. As a policy , it seems very backwards to say the least for a company that flies globally.

I’m going to try again tomorrow but not hopeful at this point,
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think this is an IT glitch - this has been a policy for quite a long while

I doubt that there is anything difficult for the airline to accept payment
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
AA policy for a long time. It doesn't exclude international travel, but has to be a round trip starting in the US.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
AA policy for a long time. It doesn't exclude international travel, but has to be a round trip starting in the US.
More accurately - travel originating in the same country - or at least a country with the same currency - I think, iirc, for example that a ticket from France could be used from Germany since they both use the Euro
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
More accurately - travel originating in the same country - or at least a country with the same currency - I think, iirc, for example that a ticket from France could be used from Germany since they both use the Euro
I think its originating country - and nothing to do with Currency. Had a DEL-JFK cancel (bought and paid for in USD) but at the time of cancelling, Agent did say the flight credit can only be usable for departing India and not any other country.. Luckily I had subsequent travel and could use it within a couple of months.. One thing i'm not sure is if the flight credit is tied to the same person or can anyone use it?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:41 pm

I don't think this is an IT glitch - this has been a policy for quite a long while

I doubt that there is anything difficult for the airline to accept payment
The reservation was created on the U.S. site and quoted in dollars and was going to charge in US dollars, the same currency and site as the US-Japan ticket this was trying to replace.

Anyone manage to get around this issue and use their cash backed credit for a flight not originating in the US?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos
I think its originating country - and nothing to do with Currency. Had a DEL-JFK cancel (bought and paid for in USD) but at the time of cancelling, Agent did say the flight credit can only be usable for departing India and not any other country.. Luckily I had subsequent travel and could use it within a couple of months.. One thing i'm not sure is if the flight credit is tied to the same person or can anyone use it?
Something in my mind has a recollection that the EU is treated as a single entity due to EU rules - but I believe that it is generally limited to same originating country. It is definitely not a new restriction and I have come across it in the past
galaticos likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 8, 2023 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MIAman3
The reservation was created on the U.S. site and quoted in dollars and was going to charge in US dollars, the same currency and site as the US-Japan ticket this was trying to replace.

Anyone manage to get around this issue and use their cash backed credit for a flight not originating in the US?
I actually canceled a trip originating in Europe and was able to book using the flight credit another trip originating in Europe. I put it on hold and then called.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by crypticro
I actually canceled a trip originating in Europe and was able to book using the flight credit another trip originating in Europe. I put it on hold and then called.
same or different country in Europe?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:12 pm

same or different country in Europe?
Same. It was basically the same itinerary just 6 weeks later.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
All through COVID this was AA's rule - you had to buy a new ticket in the same currency as the voucher was issued. Caused me some problems and so bought future tickets from BA across the Atlantic.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have successfully used trip credit (in USD) for LHR-LAX recently. I'm based in UK, and when trying to book online it wouldn't accept it. I called reservations, and it probably took 20-30 mins. Agent mentioned it was difficult, but doable.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
This is a link to AA's discussion about trip credits:

Travel credit − Customer service − American Airlines (aa.com)

One of the bullets under Trip Credit:

Valid for

• Domestic or international flights originating in the U.S. or select countries
And of course, the countries are not listed.
formeraa and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Here is the page on credits: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp
Unfortunately under terms/conditions it does not state what area the "select countries" for Trip Credits.
I also do not see any verbiage as to currency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.