Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 12, 2024, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by dval44
Amount of credit just shows up as dashes

Does this just take time to populate? I canceled a flight and it clearly said I would get a flight credit, and a flight credit immediately populated in my account. However, the amount just shows as

The credit was issued about an hour ago. Should I just wait? Thanks
for future FTers:

Because this is the second travel credit issued from the same ticket; the amount is there but will never populate. A system limitation, Im told.
Segments and spiritkat09 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 1:43 pm

Is there a good place to sell Trip Credit?
Old Apr 17, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by highlyhelenated
Is there a good place to sell Trip Credit?
Not really. Trip credits are not transferable. If you are going to sell / transfer, do it with someone you know.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Questions on Flight Credit and Trip Credit

We have 1 flight credit under my husband's name that expires in beginning of June. The original fully refundable ticket was bought in Nov 2022. We changed the booking in June 2023, to a new nonrefundable itinerary which we ended up cancelling it. (DL had better schedule).

1 trip credit under my name that expires in the same time, as this is the residual of his original refundable ticket that got rebooked to a trip ended up canceled. Hence resulting 1 flight credit under his name, and a residual value under my name due to I was the last passenger on the PNR.

1 trip credit under my name that expires in beginning of August, the result of canceling the trip which I have no idea why he received a Flight credit expires 2 months earlier than my trip credit when the PNR with both of us on, was canceled in August.

Questions

1) I know I need to use my husband's flight credit for fly by before the expiration date - can I find something that is slightly larger than the flight credit value, booked it. Then wait 48 hours to cancel it, in hope to receive a Trip Credit back with a new expiration date?
Data in late 2023 suggested this was a workable mechanism. Wonder anyone has done such in recent weeks / months?

2) Can we combine 2 existing Trip Credits to book a trip with both passengers on the same PNR for future travel (book by), him being the 2nd passenger, so if that trip is canceled, the reissued trip credit would be in his account as a total?
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bump

Anybody has suggestions on above?
Old May 6, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Globalist, DL Silv, Hilton Dim, Marriot Gld, Amex Plat
Help: Changing flight credit to travel credit

Hi! I'm trying to make my flight credit (of 1,100) into a travel credit so I can use it for my son. Any way to do this? Book a new reservation with the flight credit and cancel and hope for a trip credit?
Old May 6, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Book the cheapest ticket you can find. One way is fine. Use flights.google.com and just search American Airlines to find it. It doesn't matter the day or time, just book the flight and the remainder of the flight credit will be reissued as a trip credit. If you don't take the flight you booked, and don't cancel it to rebook later, you will just be out that portion of the credit. I booked LAX to PVR one way for $120 to use a $400+ flight credit and the remaining $320 was reissued as a trip credit (which also extended it's expiration date).

P.S. if you get really lucky, the throw away flight you booked will be canceled or delayed enough that you can get a refund for it.
aimango likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Supposedly you can use the refunds site to request your flight credit be converted into a trip credit
Old May 7, 2024, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Alternatively book a new ticket for slightly more expensive than your flight credit. Pay the difference with a credit card. Wait about 2 days, until you're outside of the "free 24 hr cancel" window, then cancel that ticket. The entire new amount will be issued as a trip credit with new expiration.
Old May 7, 2024, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by skviolet98
Book the cheapest ticket you can find. One way is fine. Use flights.google.com and just search American Airlines to find it. It doesn't matter the day or time, just book the flight and the remainder of the flight credit will be reissued as a trip credit. If you don't take the flight you booked, and don't cancel it to rebook later, you will just be out that portion of the credit. I booked LAX to PVR one way for $120 to use a $400+ flight credit and the remaining $320 was reissued as a trip credit (which also extended it's expiration date).

P.S. if you get really lucky, the throw away flight you booked will be canceled or delayed enough that you can get a refund for it.
Last time I did this, I cancelled the new cheap flight expecting to lose it but they gave me a trip credit which meant in total I had 2 trip credits totaling the entire amount. I was pleasantly surprised!
Old May 7, 2024, 12:13 pm

Flight credit ?

My cousin has a flight credit that expires in January 2025. He doesn't fly much and wants me to go to LAS with him before it expires. Is the flight credit only good for him or can I use the balance for my flight also if we are on the same reservation?
Old May 7, 2024, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Murph25
My cousin has a flight credit that expires in January 2025. He doesn't fly much and wants me to go to LAS with him before it expires. Is the flight credit only good for him or can I use the balance for my flight also if we are on the same reservation?
There are easy ways to convert the flight credit into a trip credit that can be used for anyone (and also extend the expiration date). Look at the last few posts in the wiki thread where this is discussed often, most recently today.

Old May 7, 2024, 9:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Originally Posted by flyrsphl27
Last time I did this, I cancelled the new cheap flight expecting to lose it but they gave me a trip credit which meant in total I had 2 trip credits totaling the entire amount. I was pleasantly surprised!
I just did it in April and was given another flight credit for my cancelled cheap flight!
Old May 8, 2024, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by skviolet98
I just did it in April and was given another flight credit for my cancelled cheap flight!
I swore they were changing. I am PP and bought through AA.com if that matters. It was a few months back so I dont have the email anymore but found someone else posted the same thing with the below language:

Previously when your travel plans changed, we issued a Flight Credit for the value of your unused trip. Now, were converting your Flight Credit to a Trip Credit so you have more flexibility to pay for future travel. Heres the benefits of your new Trip Credit:

Also this from AA:

I have a non-refundable ticket; can I use it for future travel?ExpandYes, you can apply the unused value of your ticket towards future travel on American, depending on the fare rules.
  • If you cancel your trip on aa.com before departure, we will cancel your ticket and issue a Trip Credit. Your Trip Credit will be valid until the date listed on the credit.
  • If you cancel your trip through any other channel, we will cancel your ticket and issue a Flight Credit. When using your Flight Credit travel must begin within 1 year from the date your ticket was first issued. You may be charged a change fee and any difference in ticket price.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:18 am

Exclamation HELP With Flight Credit

I have flight credit for the return trip (SLP-FCO) of an original round trip ticket. I do not need to use the return trip. Anyone know what I can do to change the destinations of the ticket or extend the expiration date (june 16th)?

I already tried booking it and canceling again and it didn't seem to work. Help would be most appreciated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.