Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas — Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

“Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers,” said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. “Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDC’s guidance.”

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individual’s nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from American’s face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with American’s face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If you’re not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when you’re done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-*G, AA-Exec P, IHG-Gold, Bonvoy-Ambassador
Masks, Masks, Masks and more Masks - gate agent at DFW

So I’m awaiting boarding C for TATL today and I’ve flown all year (so far 100k BIS miles) using the same 5 ply melt blown N99 face masks. The GA told me that my N99 face mask was not good enough to fly and he said that in order to board I need to have a surgical or cloth mask?

All year not a single question ever even in EU countries where only the N95 or better are allowed and this GA thinks he knows all about masks?

He wouldn’t even let me show the certificate for the mask I wear, and shut me down… “There will be no more discussion about this…”

I’m in the PPE business and know a little bit about masks
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just smile, say sorry, nod, ask for a mask and move on. Then file a complaint later if you really want to.

Arguing with the uneducated is a fool's errand.
enviroian and jhalapin like this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by GWagonFlyer
So I’m awaiting boarding C for TATL today and I’ve flown all year (so far 100k BIS miles) using the same 5 ply melt blown N99 face masks. The GA told me that my N99 face mask was not good enough to fly and he said that in order to board I need to have a surgical or cloth mask?

All year not a single question ever even in EU countries where only the N95 or better are allowed and this GA thinks he knows all about masks?

He wouldn’t even let me show the certificate for the mask I wear, and shut me down… “There will be no more discussion about this…”

Why wrestle with a pig?

You only get dirty and the pig has fun.

Take one of the masks the GA offers to you and put it on or over your N-95 and board with a smile.
As soon as you board, take off the surgical mask and wear yours.

Or if you are really paranoid and think that the GA will board and check on you, wait until the door is closed to remove the surgical mask.

Life is far too short to screw with irrational behavior. A little serenity in life goes a long way
enviroian, AAway, ExpatExp and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
a number of other intl carriers have required surgical masks ONLY.

much of it is due to weed out fabric only masks or the absurd masks with valves. so sometimes the easiest thing for everyone is to just have the same blue surgical mask rather than mess with asking each pax is their N-95 is actually a N-95 etc etc.

like others said, just take it, strap on and get on ye merry way before reverting back to your more effective choice.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Did your N95 mask have a vent/valve? Masks with valves are specifically mentioned as not acceptable during the PA announcements I've been hearing at gates recently.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Did your N95 mask have a vent/valve? Masks with valves are specifically mentioned as not acceptable during the PA announcements I've been hearing at gates recently.
All you have to do in these cases is cover it with a typical blue mask. I've been doing this for the last year with no issues anytime.

I keep this configuration through the airport, during boarding or when I'm stuck in a Y or domestic F seat. If I'm in a J/F seat I usually dump the N95 once settled in and just fly with the blue mask on.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by GWagonFlyer

Maybe you could post a picture of your N99 mask here -- I've seen plenty of people with N95/KN95/etc masks *without valves*; if yours has a valve then that is indeed a "no more discussion" item (even if other agents don't notice), but if not I don't know why it wouldn't be acceptable unless it looks very different. In any case, you might have been able to just put a surgical mask over it covering the valve if present.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:57 pm
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Gold
AA (and other airlines) are getting some brutal publicity due to the overzealous FAs and the mask policy.....and rightfully so. I even had an AA shrew tell me to pull up my mask walking on a concourse.....nowhere near a plane. I passed up the opportunity to engage and continued on to my gate.....
RaindropT likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by COU
AA (and other airlines) are getting some brutal publicity due to the overzealous FAs and the mask policy.....and rightfully so. I even had an AA shrew tell me to pull up my mask walking on a concourse.....nowhere near a plane. I passed up the opportunity to engage and continued on to my gate.....
Not just at AA, a few months back I was flying UA through IAD and an off duty UA FA started screaming at someone eating in the gate area because they didn't have a mask on. Me and everyone else were staring at her like "hope she's not working our flight".

Edit: I see you mentioned (and other airlines), my mistake.

Last edited by FlyDeltaMD88; Sep 22, 2021 at 3:32 pm
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by COU
I had this exact same thing happen at ORD on Monday. I completely ignored her and kept walking with my mask down.
GrumpyYoungMan and RaindropT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.