Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Breakfast this morning from sea-dfw was either the cheese plate or an ice cold turkey and swiss croissant.

The flight attendant started from the back again so clearly not following rules.

Let me guess ....firing up the ovens is a covid risk....
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Received a survey about my recent flight and also as was mention upthread an option to leave my email address to further discuss onboard food options. We'll see where that goes.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by cmd320
Received a survey about my recent flight and also as was mention upthread an option to leave my email address to further discuss onboard food options. We'll see where that goes.
I answered the survey in September and received a call from AA to discuss my critical remarks about the poor food service in First.
cmd320 and Drwaz99 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Any recent experiences on American Eagle in F? Is it still no service? I'm flying MCI-DFW on Saturday and just wondered if I would be able to get a drink. Not a big deal if I can't, just was curious.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MCI777
Any recent experiences on American Eagle in F? Is it still no service? I'm flying MCI-DFW on Saturday and just wondered if I would be able to get a drink. Not a big deal if I can't, just was curious.
I don't know which subsidiary you're flying with but I've flown 4 flights on Republic last month, and when I hit the call button, I always got the drink I requested and on one of the flights, surprisingly the crew took drink orders after we took off.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't know which subsidiary you're flying with but I've flown 4 flights on Republic last month, and when I hit the call button, I always got the drink I requested and on one of the flights, surprisingly the crew took drink orders after we took off.
I believe the E175's between MCI-DFW are Republic so this is good news!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I flew AE a few weeks ago and great drink service in F once we were in the air!
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I flew on PSA last weekend from BHM to CLT and the FA in first did regular, proactive drink service once in the air. It was quite nice for a flight to feel somewhat normal. Much better than the mainline 737 flight to DCA that followed where drinks were only after pressing the call button, and even then begrudgingly provided.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
DFW-IAD Hearty sandwich! 😉
DC9 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 5:42 pm

Wow. That’s sad looking. I hope that’s not the new normal ... my sandwich a few weeks ago was much fuller, and fresher. 😝

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TheFlyGuy2
Wow. That’s sad looking. I hope that’s not the new normal ... my sandwich a few weeks ago was much fuller, and fresher. 😝
Honestly that looks like it came out of a garbage can
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Honestly that looks like it came out of a garbage can
Hah! Didn’t think they’d make it onto the plane looking like the photo. 😂
Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
That's pAAthetic, looks like something that came out of a vending machine at a Greyhound Station! I'm guessing your flight wasn't the first one that Sandwich took.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You really need to send that pic to AA via their twitter message function. Please-- do it for mankind.
cmd320 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
A bit late, but... DCA-BDL over Labor Day weekend in paid F: beverage and snack basket service outbound (evening flight, even included PDB!) and return (early morning flight). Announcement pre-flight was "no service, please ask if you want/need something" but they proactively provided service in F.

As a contrast, DCA-CLE in UA in paid F over Columbus Day weekend--beverage and snack (pretzel) service outbound (early evening flight), but no service on return (early morning flight), though there was a "bundle" pre-placed in each F seat with a mini bottle of water, a Biscoff pack, and a snack bag of pretzels taped into a small plastic bag (didn't see if this was throughout cabin--if so, even more underwhelming).

I know 4Q20 flying is going to count for 2021 elite earning on AA, but it seems every time we've searched a trip we want to take AA is 1.5-2x the fare (or more) so we're free-lancing until end of year--next up is DL for Thanksgiving (HALF the cost of AA in paid F for a similar route--one stop thru ATL v. one stop thru DFW). At least we get to sample the competition, even though it's not nearly a useful comparison as things stand...

cheers and happy travels!
cmd320 and ChurnieEls like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.