Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Long Post Ahead:

This week I had four short haul flights. Here's the service:

6/9 AA 1717 BWI-CLT A-320: No service in either cabin. Lead FA gave revenue passengers in F a bottle of water to take with us
6/9 AA 1645 CLT-RDU A-321: Full drink service including liquor in First
6/11 AA 4282 ATL-PHL EMB-175: No service in either cabin. Lead FA went and hung out in the rear galley the whole flight
6/11 AA 4502 PHL-RDU EMB-175: No service in either cabin. Lead FA walked through once to collect trash. I guess all those empty cups we didn't have

So I think this is ridiculous. There are no clubs right now so I'm stuck buying overpriced beverages at the few places open at the airport. So I wrote to AA informing them of this. They sent me this lovely form email back:Hello Mr. CMK10:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. I'm happy to help. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with our suspension of inflight food and beverage offerings. I can certainly understand wanting to have these amenities.

We realize these temporary service reductions are a departure from our normal service levels, but we're working to do the right thing for the health and safety of our customers and flight attendants. We value all your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. One of my responsibilities is to take customer feedback such as yours and record it in our system. That information is then made available to all of our leaders and helps to drive change. By contacting us, you've given us the chance to improve -- thank you.

Mr. CMK10, your confidence in us over the years has not been misplaced. We do appreciate your Executive Platinum status and we hope to welcome you onboard an American Airlines flight again soon.

Pretty lame.
Pretty typical AA customer relations not knowing what the actual policies are. Actually, that's pretty typical of AA in general.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Long Post Ahead:

This week I had four short haul flights. Here's the service:

6/9 AA 1717 BWI-CLT A-320: No service in either cabin. Lead FA gave revenue passengers in F a bottle of water to take with us
6/9 AA 1645 CLT-RDU A-321: Full drink service including liquor in First
6/11 AA 4282 ATL-PHL EMB-175: No service in either cabin. Lead FA went and hung out in the rear galley the whole flight
6/11 AA 4502 PHL-RDU EMB-175: No service in either cabin. Lead FA walked through once to collect trash. I guess all those empty cups we didn't have

So I think this is ridiculous. There are no clubs right now so I'm stuck buying overpriced beverages at the few places open at the airport. So I wrote to AA informing them of this. They sent me this lovely form email back:Hello Mr. CMK10:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. I'm happy to help. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with our suspension of inflight food and beverage offerings. I can certainly understand wanting to have these amenities.

We realize these temporary service reductions are a departure from our normal service levels, but we're working to do the right thing for the health and safety of our customers and flight attendants. We value all your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. One of my responsibilities is to take customer feedback such as yours and record it in our system. That information is then made available to all of our leaders and helps to drive change. By contacting us, you've given us the chance to improve -- thank you.

Mr. CMK10, your confidence in us over the years has not been misplaced. We do appreciate your Executive Platinum status and we hope to welcome you onboard an American Airlines flight again soon.

Pretty lame.
Very on brand. Suggest to reply to that email to tell them its not the policy and its lazy FAs that need to be retrained. It may not do much but there is a chance it gets into their files.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Long Post Ahead:

This week I had four short haul flights
Are you clearing upgrades on all these flights or are they paid F?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Are you clearing upgrades on all these flights or are they paid F?
BWI-CLT-RDU cleared at the window. ATL-PHL-RDU was paid F. I emphasized in my email that I've been flying Paid F throughout the pandemic and I've watched the premium experience erode to virtually nothing.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
BWI-CLT-RDU cleared at the window. ATL-PHL-RDU was paid F. I emphasized in my email that I've been flying Paid F throughout the pandemic and I've watched the premium experience erode to virtually nothing.
Would suggest creating one email per flight and highlight the poor FA attitude and absence of service so specific FAs can be addressed vs overall issues with AA inflight service
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem is now AA is in its utopia and isn't even being pushed by DL or UA. They can basically do whatever they want until some sort of standards are again upheld.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
One other thing I have noticed from flying recently....both my two recent flights there was a Flight Service Manager not in uniform and just normal clothes (didn’t work the flight....just helping during boarding) who introduced themselves to the crew and were happy to help with anything during boarding. Seemed like nice team work but I’ve never seen that before on back to back flights.
Very interesting. I would love to see a CSM or FSM on more AA flights.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Very interesting. I would love to see a CSM or FSM on more AA flights.
I agree, however I believe this is against something in the union’s contract. Or if there is a CSM they don’t have any actual teeth so to speak.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
I agree, however I believe this is against something in the union’s contract. Or if there is a CSM they don’t have any actual teeth so to speak.
Doesn't the company's health plan provide dental benefits including dentures?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:51 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Flew AA545 last night with what looked to be a L-US DCA crew.

There was some type of issue during boarding with what looked to be a manager running up and down the jet bridge at CLT during the boarding process. During boarding the manager was then running up and down the aisle whispering into her walkie talkie, and then went row by row in Y asking if anyone was an AA employee. Those that said yes were brought up to F. I can't remember what the upgrade list looked like-I didn't bother looking because I was on a BE ticket.

Crew made no announcements during boarding or the flight (other than the safety demo and COVID-19 spiel and descent announcement) but during the PA they did mention that beverages are available upon request and if anyone needed anything to let them know. I didn't see anyone take them up on their offer but it's the thought that counts I guess.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Why would such a thing be in a union contract? I mean I get it from the FA P.O.V. (no manager so we can do whatever we want!) but I don't get it from a company standpoint and why such a thing would be agreed upon.

A friend's mother was an ISM at Cathay and he said she had to basically complete a report about each crew member and their performance onboard after each flight. Do AA's International "Pursers" not have to do the same? I recall that years ago that those who wanted to be Pursers at AA had to complete a separate application and interview process, completing a training program, and then annually attend some type of purser conference. Don't know if it is the same today.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Dfw-tpa yesterday in F. Picked up my bag at the door which had a bottle of water, biscoff and pretzels. Drinks were offered during the service. I asked about nuts and he said “sorry only what’s in the bag”.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:07 am

Not an AA flyer but had to use them to get home so thought i'd share my experience.

First flight in business ANU-MIA 737, handed a bag with a bottle of water and pretzels upon boarding, offered 1 drink in flight, alcohol was available.
Second flight business MIA-LHR 777-300. Firstly, I very much liked the seat, slept very well. There were maybe 6 or 7 of us in the entire cabin, I was expecting a bare bones service, but was actually quite impressed, decent food selection, served promptly and all on one tray, constantly offered drinks, full alcoholic selection available, no snack bar but that was fine. Overall not a bad way to get across the atlantic in current circumstances, good job AA.
Also, I couldn't believe how busy MIA got after 6pm, it looked like just normal pre-covid day. Even taxiing out to the runway, there was a hefty queue for departure, I'm guessing this was mostly domestic traffic, but it was still encouraging to see.

teemuflyer and thunderdeacon like this.

Last edited by seantheman; Jun 13, 2020 at 9:16 am
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seantheman
Not an AA flyer but had to use them to get home so thought i'd share my experience.

First flight in business ANU-MIA 737, handed a bag with a bottle of water and pretzels upon boarding, offered 1 drink in flight, alcohol was available.
Second flight business MIA-LHR 777-300. Firstly, I very much liked the seat, slept very well. There were maybe 6 or 7 of us in the entire cabin, I was expecting a bare bones service, but was actually quite impressed, decent food selection, served promptly and all on one tray, constantly offered drinks, full alcoholic selection available, no snack bar but that was fine. Overall not a bad way to get across the atlantic in current circumstances, good job AA.
Also, I couldn't believe how busy MIA got after 6pm, it looked like just normal pre-covid day. Even taxiing out to the runway, there was a hefty queue for departure, I'm guessing this was mostly domestic traffic, but it was still encouraging to see.

Wow, I am impressed that AA printed special menus for the reduced international service standards. I was wondering if they would ditch paper menus altogether. Personally, I think they are a very nice touch, and printing menus for the abbreviated service makes me think they might stick around.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by seantheman
Was this yesterday, Friday June 12? I also flew from MIA (domestic, MIA-MCI) and was surprised how busy the gate areas were at Miami airport. The takeaway Bacardi rum bar was disturbingly busy, with a constant rowdy queue, not practicing "social distancing." It was tough to find an isolated seat while awaiting my departure at D-53.

Once on board, the AA service was simple. Full bar on request. No snacks of any kind as advertised by the gate agent. Two of us in the forward cabin and about half full in economy. Beautiful sunset with slow-moving cumulonimbus storms along the west coast of Florida. Slight wait for the departure runway, but landed on time.

Last edited by fastflyer; Jun 15, 2020 at 12:36 pm
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Was this yesterday, Sunday June 12? I also flew from MIA (domestic, MIA-MCI) and was surprised how busy the gate areas were at Miami airport. The takeaway Bacardi rum bar was disturbingly busy, with a constant rowdy queue, not practicing "social distancing." It was tough to find an isolated seat while awaiting my departure at D-53.

Once on board, the AA service was simple. Full bar on request. No snacks of any kind as advertised by the gate agent. Two of us in the forward cabin and about half full in economy. Beautiful sunset with slow-moving cumulonimbus storms along the west coast of Florida. Slight wait for the departure runway, but landed on time.
My flight was Thursday 11th, but yes also noticed the huge queues for bars and food stalls, no social distancing at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.